Nice Lunch w a View in PV & Mazatlan?

MarkBearSF

I just booked a Mexican cruise on the Grand Princess with port calls in Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, & Cabo san Lucas. We've visited the ports (3 of 4) multiple times, and have NO desire for tourist traps, shopping and the like. (We're looking at it primarily as 10 days on the ship) My husband has mobility issues and cannot walk more than a couple of blocks without difficulty.

We were thinking that it might be nice to catch a cab at the pier in PV and Mazatlan and simply go someplace nice for lunch. Primary for this would be a nice view and all-around experience. We would like a nice place with good food. We really aren't looking for a touristy Mexican combo plate lunch, but not necessarily super-trendy either (we get enough of that in SF). If there's some really, unique shopping right there, it might be nice, but we DON'T NEED MORE STUFF. No big dietary restrictions except my husband is allergic to fleshy ocean fish (cod, grouper), but not shellfish (so clear communication is important).

Any suggestions for lunch places?  I expect we'll skip Manzanillo, as there doesn't seem to be much there there - and we truly enjoy spending time aboard a quieter ship on port days. Likewise Cabo - it's a tender port, so transfer is difficult for the non-surefooted, and I recall a walk up a hill from the port. 

8 hours ago, Ine said:

Unfortunately most places with a view in Puerto Vallarta arenot open for lunch. However right on Playa los Muertos near the per  in old town you will find some nice restaurants like La Palapa, Langostinos and some more. https://vallartainfo.com/southside-map/

And then there is Los Carmelitas.  Must admit that we have never gone to that restaurant and do not have any plans to go there in the future or recommend the place.  But one would have to assume it has amazing views :).

Hank

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And then there is Los Carmelitas.  Must admit that we have never gone to that restaurant and do not have any plans to go there in the future or recommend the place.  But one would have to assume it has amazing views :).

Hank

We havenot been there too due to many mixed reviews. Also one needs to pay entrance fee which will be deducted from the final bill. 

3 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

The River Cafe calls to me ......

A decent restaurant although there is no view of the sea.  The River Cafe does make quite a show out of their version of bananas Foster :).  There is also a large Iquana that lives in the trees in the rear of the restaurant.  We are always a little disappointed if we do not see that iguana :(.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Yeah - I checked out TripAdvisor and Yelp, and it looks like the River Cafe for us. (Although it IS touristy). The view looks to be not of the sea, but still a nice atmosphere. I think we may have eaten there on a trip on 2002 - and I remember the crafts for sale nearby.

10 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Yeah - I checked out TripAdvisor and Yelp, and it looks like the River Cafe for us. (Although it IS touristy). The view looks to be not of the sea, but still a nice atmosphere. I think we may have eaten there on a trip on 2002 - and I remember the crafts for sale nearby.

It is still the same.  The restaurant has not changed and the vendors are still on the island.   We usually have dinner there at least once a year, but do think that its somewhat overpriced for PV.

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It is still the same.  The restaurant has not changed and the vendors are still on the island.   We usually have dinner there at least once a year, but do think that its somewhat overpriced for PV.

Hank

I think the price is fine for a light lunch. https://www.rivercafe.com.mx/en/lunch-menu/?lang=en 

Edited by Alaskanb

On 11/21/2018 at 12:13 AM, MarkBearSF said:

For a nice ocean view place with great food I would recommend Daiquiri Dick's on Los Muertos Beach.   A taxi can drop you off right at the corner of Olas Altas and Basilio Badilio.    The restaurant is right there.   Great view and comfy chairs and lovely ocean breeze.   There are umbrellas for shade also.

I will toss out another idea since the place is apparently open (it had been closed for some time).  This would be a luncheon for those that are a bit adventurous, are mobile, and want something quite special.  There is a seaside restaurant called the "Ocean Grill" which is located south of Puerto Vallarta near a small village called Boca de Tomatlan.  One can get to Boca by using local buses, but for cruisers not familiar with PV it probably makes more sense to spend a few hundred pesos and take Uber or a more expensive taxi.  You need reservations for the Ocean Grill (they have 3 lunch seatings) and the view is quite spectacular.  Once you arrive in Boca de Tomtlan you will need to take a private water shuttle boat to get to the cliff side restaurant.  The water shuttle is also by reservation so you do need to time your arrival at Boca to get the boat.  While you are waiting in Boca (for the water shuttle) there are some places where you can relax and buy a drink.  Having lunch at the Ocean Grill is a major undertaking and it will take a good part of your day.  You can Google this place and read the reviews...keeping in mind it recently reopened and there have been some changes in ownership/management.   Since this involves getting in and out of a small boat, and quite a few steps to get up to the restaurant from their private pier, you do need to have mobility and be able to handle stairs.  

When we have visitors staying with us in PV, we like to take them out to the Ocean Grill for the entire experience which is a lot of fun.  In past years the food has been pretty good, the drinks excellent, the atmosphere amazing, and the price a bit higher then many want to pay in PV.  Here is a link to their web site which explains all :https://oceanlivelovegrill.com

Hank