Airport Transfer to Rome Fiumicino

BRScity

Hi

Am looking to book a flight out of Rome after a 5am arrival with Princess at Civitaveccha.  What time would be a comfortable transfer and does anyone have experience of such transfers both with Princess and other companies.

I appreciate it is some distance from the port.

Thank you

Rob

UK

1 hour ago, BRScity said:

Hi

Am looking to book a flight out of Rome after a 5am arrival with Princess at Civitaveccha.  What time would be a comfortable transfer and does anyone have experience of such transfers both with Princess and other companies.

I appreciate it is some distance from the port.

Thank you

Rob

UK

Our flight was around 11:00am so we had a taxi pick us up at 7:00.

Taxi was approx. 70e.

Takes about 1 hour.

A Princess transfer will have set guidelines on how early a flight you can have.

I've booked with this company and they are by far cheaper than all the others.  Post it on your roll call if you'd consider sharing a ride.  If you get a total of 8 of you, it can be a really inexpensive, comfortable and fast way to get to the airport.  They came highly recommended by other CCers and after my bad experience with RomeinLimo, I wanted a different company.
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/?page_id=2260

• 4 weeks later...

I tend not to want to worry about any delays that will impact getting to the airport as well as any changes with respect to security at the airport.  For example, should there be changes to security due to some type of "terrorist event" that occurs after you book the flights that could change the security process.

For me this means a flight at Noon or later.

Some will say early but I don't want to worry about any of this so I go with Noon or later.

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, rockdoctor said:

Whenever there is a long transfer from airport to ship , as in Rome or Santiago, we use Princess Transfers. Our experience is that when a bus is full, it leaves rather that at fixed intervals.

Have been trying to find the price of a Princess transfer.  Mine would be from FCO to the port.

• 2 weeks later...

We're staying in Rome post cruise for one week.   I'm looking to pick up a rental at Fiumicino and since we're in no hurry to catch a flight, we can also take the ship transfer.  Does anybody what time the transfer usually leaves?  We are sailing with HAL.

2 hours ago, HMSDingy said:

We're staying in Rome post cruise for one week.   I'm looking to pick up a rental at Fiumicino and since we're in no hurry to catch a flight, we can also take the ship transfer.  Does anybody what time the transfer usually leaves?  We are sailing with HAL.

Usually the transfer buses leave when they are full. So no way to pin down exactly when you will be leaving for FCO.

That said, reading your post, it sounds like you want to rent a car at FCO for a week stay in Rome. To that I must ask: why?? A car in Rome would be an enormous pain, and if you want to tour outside the city you can always just pick up a car rental for a day, returning it in the evening.

In any case, if you really want to rent a car, there are offices in Civitavecchia where you can pick up you rental instead of going all the way out to the airport. But if you're staying in the city, I wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

Sorry but I meant to say we're staying in Italy post cruise.  We will be driving to my home town in the Province of Isernia about 200 km away almost a 2 hour drive.  The reason I'd like to pick up a car at the airport is that the rental agencies charge for a different pickup/drop off. It would be easier for us at FCO.  Romecab has given me quote for a car & driver at the port to take us to FCO at 130 euros.  More expensive than the transfer but I can book it at a specific time.  Booking a rental at Civitavecchia has other drawbacks that the agency is about 2 km from the port.  I've been told, on this forum, that cabs will not take us the short distance and its too far to walk with luggage in tow.  The only alternative would be if the agency offers to pick us up like its done here in Canada by most, if not all, rental companies.

Edited by HMSDingy

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 11:16 AM, HMSDingy said:

Sorry but I meant to say we're staying in Italy post cruise.  We will be driving to my home town in the Province of Isernia about 200 km away almost a 2 hour drive.  The reason I'd like to pick up a car at the airport is that the rental agencies charge for a different pickup/drop off. It would be easier for us at FCO.  Romecab has given me quote for a car & driver at the port to take us to FCO at 130 euros.  More expensive than the transfer but I can book it at a specific time.  Booking a rental at Civitavecchia has other drawbacks that the agency is about 2 km from the port.  I've been told, on this forum, that cabs will not take us the short distance and its too far to walk with luggage in tow.  The only alternative would be if the agency offers to pick us up like its done here in Canada by most, if not all, rental companies.

No personal experience, but from Google Maps it looks like Avis/Budget and Europcar have locations that are within a few minutes walking distance of the free port shuttle drop off point at Largo Della Pace.

Edited by cmich068

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

Our flight was around 11:00am so we had a taxi pick us up at 7:00.

Taxi was approx. 70e.

Takes about 1 hour.

A Princess transfer will have set guidelines on how early a flight you can have.

70e sounds really reasonable. Is this a shared transfer? Can you kindly advise who is your taxi company? Most appreciated.

1 hour ago, Carolwood said:

70e sounds really reasonable. Is this a shared transfer? Can you kindly advise who is your taxi company? Most appreciated.

Actually it was less than 70e.  Yes it was shared and we used   

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/?portfolio=transfers-to-and-from-the-port-of-civitavecchia

They were awesome!

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:16 AM, HMSDingy said:

There are usually no one-way drop charges for rentals within Italy, if you carefully shop around :).  You would generally not pay extra if you rent from companies like Hertz or Europcar for a pickup at Civitavecchia and a drop at FCO.  When renting for 3 or more days we suggest looking at a decent rental car "consolidator" (like a discounter) such as Autoeurope or Kemwel.  These are sister companies (located in the US) that usually have decent contracts with both Hertz and Europcar and others.  They also have a toll free number and their folks are experts on European rentals or leases.

As to getting from port to a Civitavecchia agency, it is always (for me) a fun challenge.  Our strategy would depend on which agency we use.  Some are within a few blocks of the shuttle bus (from the port) drop point and others (such as Hertz) are a good 15 min walk.  Normally I would take the port shuttle to the drop location (which is at Largo della Pace....outside the port).  I would then leave DW at the bus stop with our luggage why I walk to the rental car agency to pick up the car.  While this is a bit of a pain it sure beats paying 80+ Euros to get a transfer to FCO.  And depending on your transfer you might find that its a very long walk to get to your rental car agency (at FCO) which are normally housed deep inside one of the parking garages.  This is especially true if you use the cruise line airport transfer buses which somehow manage to find a drop place that is furthest from everyone's airport destination :).

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There are usually no one-way drop charges for rentals within Italy, if you carefully shop around :).  You would generally not pay extra if you rent from companies like Hertz or Europcar for a pickup at Civitavecchia and a drop at FCO.  When renting for 3 or more days we suggest looking at a decent rental car "consolidator" (like a discounter) such as Autoeurope or Kemwel.  These are sister companies (located in the US) that usually have decent contracts with both Hertz and Europcar and others.  They also have a toll free number and their folks are experts on European rentals or leases.

As to getting from port to a Civitavecchia agency, it is always (for me) a fun challenge.  Our strategy would depend on which agency we use.  Some are within a few blocks of the shuttle bus (from the port) drop point and others (such as Hertz) are a good 15 min walk.  Normally I would take the port shuttle to the drop location (which is at Largo della Pace....outside the port).  I would then leave DW at the bus stop with our luggage why I walk to the rental car agency to pick up the car.  While this is a bit of a pain it sure beats paying 80+ Euros to get a transfer to FCO.  And depending on your transfer you might find that its a very long walk to get to your rental car agency (at FCO) which are normally housed deep inside one of the parking garages.  This is especially true if you use the cruise line airport transfer buses which somehow manage to find a drop place that is furthest from everyone's airport destination :).

Hank

Thanks.  The rental is with Europecar but through another broker and that broker charges the drop off fee.  If I rent with Europecar directly, I'd be spending more on the initial rental.  It all evens out because the higher cost of the rental through Europecar would equal the extra amount for the driver to FCO.  I will have the driver take us directly to the rental kiosk.