Back from the Volendam Panama Canal cruise - loved it

DocJohnB

Returned home from the transcanal on the Volendam yesterday.  I am in the process of writing a bit of a review and will hopefully have it posted in a day or two.

We did experience a bit of a problem.  Norovirus decided to join us.  I have no idea how many cases, but the ship went into contaminated mode on the 3rd (or 4th) day and maintained that status throughout the cruise.  The crew worked assiduously to keep the virus under control.  The ships doctor wrote a detailed letter on the illness, if effects, prevention and what to do if and when.  The crew was constantly cleaning; every couple of days they were going around public areas wiping every thing down and guys straight out of "Ghostbusters" were spraying down carpets and furniture.  In addition to the doctors admonition to constantly washing your hands, trying to use your own bathroom vs public ones, not shaking hands, etc., hand sanitizers were out in force.  Talking to a couple of bartenders on our last night after the public areas closed they would be spending a couple of hours sanitizing those areas and after debarkation a major shipboard decontamination was to take place.  Word was already out that the next group would have delayed embarkation.  (As I was traveling home, I don't know how this affected their departure).  

One story along with this.  There was only one child on board; a sweet little 8 yr old girl named Chloe.  Her folks and her were in the same lifeboat as I was so we met and talked a bit and would talk a bit when we met during the cruise.  She apparently was having a blast in the kid's center.  Well, I hadn't seen her in a couple of days or so and met her and her dad coming out of the elevator.  In a really sad voice she told me, "Mr. Jack, I was isolated".  She had got it midway through the cruise and the whole family was isolated.  Her dad was quite jocular about it and he told me the only advice he could give her was, "Chloe, do not trust your farts".  

We also had a medical emergency where a call was put out over the announcement system requesting A+ blood donors one evening.  Not sure what that was all about, but a man was stretchered off the next day and the Captain thank the passengers for the excellent response.

Such a shame when Noro hits.  The crew end up working even harder.

The child you met sure sounds like a sweet thing.  Shame she had to endure the isolation after having fun at the kids club.

From your title sounds still like you had a great time.  Looking forward  to your review.

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

I'm sure the noro took the fun out of what should of been a great cruise.

Nah!  For most it seemed as though the lemons/lemonade theory applied.

What I failed to write in the OP was that I was really impressed by the response of the crew.

Thanks for the report, DocJohnB.

The CDC has info about the norovirus outbreak here: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2018/Volendam_11-3.html

I found the actions section interesting. I have never heard of "staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests." Anyone know how that is handled? As much as I would hate to have norovirus on a cruise, I would hate to disembark with it even more. I wonder how many cruisers fly home while ill?

Thanks for the update.  Glad you loved the cruise as we board her on 12/3 for the San Diego-FLL itinerary and are looking forward to it!  Sure hope all those nasty noro-germs are long gone by then but will definitely be uber-vigilant about washing hands, using hand sanitizer, and keeping hands away from face.  

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Anyone know how that is handled? As much as I would hate to have norovirus on a cruise, I would hate to disembark with it even more. I wonder how many cruisers fly home while ill?

I am only guessing, but would think those with active cases are isolated until all others have disembarked.  Talking with some of the crew, my gut feeling is that it was under control by the time we hit FLL, i.e., no new cases in a couple of days - but again that was from the 3rd butter cutter's cousin who was a room steward line of rumor control. 😂😂

1 hour ago, zelker said:

DocJohnB -

Assuming our itinerary will be the same - or close to the same - as yours, how many gala nights were there and which evenings? 

Thanks!

Zelker,

The only difference I can see on yours as compared to ours is you go to Key West, we went to Half Moon Cay on the last full day. 

Assuming no changes in dining, there will be 3 gala nights.  1) The 2nd night of the cruise (1st full at-sea day).  2) The night between Costa Rica and the Panama Canal (not the night you leave CR, but the next night which is an at-sea day).  3)  One of the at-sea nights between Cartegena and Key West and I am 95% certain it was the 2nd at-sea night (the night before y'all) get to Key West.

6 minutes ago, zelker said:

Thanks!!  

No problem!

Now, if you would do me a favor.  Your cruise director will be a young guy named Justin - he is good.  If you see him would you tell him Jack, the retired sailor from his 1st CD cruise says hello?

If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them.  Here on c/c or at usnretdocb at hotmail dot com  (just put it all together).

1 hour ago, DocJohnB said:

No problem!

Now, if you would do me a favor.  Your cruise director will be a young guy named Justin - he is good.  If you see him would you tell him Jack, the retired sailor from his 1st CD cruise says hello? 

If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them.  Here on c/c or at usnretdocb at hotmail dot com  (just put it all together).

Just wrote myself a note to tell Justin hi for you.  😉

Who was the Canal narrator and were they any good?  Who were the enrichment speakers and what topics did they discuss and were THEY any good?  

Thanks for posting!  We, too, are booked to take it on Dec. 3, and are looking forward to it so much.  I’m so sorry to read about the Noro outbreak, it adds so much work for the crew, and worries the passengers.  I know the crew will do everything they can to get and keep it under control.  I look forward to reading your review when you post it.

22 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I feel for the crew!  Was the Hotel Director still Craig Oakes?

I believe it was.  I am terrible with names.  Unless I speak directly with someone more than once, I can never remember names.  However, his name sounds familiar, so . . . . . . . 

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

Who was the Canal narrator and were they any good?  Who were the enrichment speakers and what topics did they discuss and were THEY any good?  

Again, I do not remember names.  However, while the narrator gave some interesting facts, I thought him be a droner.  I did not attend any of the enrichment lectures so I can't speak to that.  However, IMO, a must see night is called "BBC Earth Presents" or something similar.  Below is a brief description (from another web site) of what it is about.  It is a stunning visual show.

"Debuting in the main showroom of each ship, “Frozen Planet Live,” features live musicians playing a specially orchestrated musical score by award-winning composer George Fenton as the images unfold on screen. Guests are taken on an emotional and evocative journey into the wilderness of the polar regions, where life thrives in the most extraordinary conditions."

32 minutes ago, DocJohnB said:

I believe it was.  I am terrible with names.  Unless I speak directly with someone more than once, I can never remember names.  However, his name sounds familiar, so . . . . . . . 

Thanks.   Not seen much around the ship but very personable and runs a great department.

34 minutes ago, zelker said:

FYI, the canal commentators are Panama-based and come onboard at oh dark thirty with one of the many canal boats that come alongside the mother ship. These include the ship's Panama agent, 2 canal pilots, 1 lock pilot, 1 (or more) canal inspectors, 2 health inspectors, 1 fumigator, 3 vendors and between 19 and 33 canal workers who take care of the lines that hook up to the mules. The canal commentator is the only one out of that group who will remain with the ship for the entire canal transit

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and water

No automatic alt text available.

Did your cabin have an interactive TV? All cabins were supposed to be updated with TVs in its recent drydockbit a recent thread here says it still has a VCR. I’ve never - ever - used a VCR in my life and haven’t seen one in like a decade. 

2 hours ago, sppunk said:

Did your cabin have an interactive TV? All cabins were supposed to be updated with TVs in its recent drydockbit a recent thread here says it still has a VCR. I’ve never - ever - used a VCR in my life and haven’t seen one in like a decade. 

It was a small TV (not interactive) but it had a DVD player placed under it (not a VCR). The ship had hundreds of movies available (DVD format).

• Thanks 1