Tracy Arm vs. Endicott Arm

clskinsfan

I have been to both and the only differences that I have experienced is that Tracy Arm ice is much bigger as it flows in the water. The scenery is amazing in both.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/endicott-arm

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/tracy-arm

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The reason for the change is that Tracey Arm is often blocked with ice early in the season.

And even late in the season at times.

Tracy Arm is more scenic but is often blocked and ships end up going to Endicott Arm instead. I know other lines are changing their itineraries as they mostly go to Endicott Arm anyway - it is far more predictable.

Edited by Coral

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

It must be noted that Tracy Arm may be blocied for cruise ships early in the season but there are small boat excursions out of Juneau that are available even in the very early season. 

There are. Though - one time with Adventure Bound we went to Endicott Arm as Tracy Arm was not accessible due to ice and another time, we attempted and ran out of time before we saw the glaciers as navigating with ice takes more time. So I have tried 2x in May with AdventureBound and missed it both times with them. Though - they were both excellent trips, regardless. Just don't assume if you take the small boat, you will guarantee seeing it or getting to the glacier at the end.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 3:05 PM, Crew News said:

It must be noted that Tracy Arm may be blocied for cruise ships early in the season but there are small boat excursions out of Juneau that are available even in the very early season. 

That is good to hear as we are booked on one in May. I have been hoping that we won't be affected by the ice at that time. 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:40 PM, clskinsfan said:

I am booked on a May cruise with Celebrity. I just received notice that Tracy Arm is being replaced with Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. This is our first Alaskan cruise and we are wondering what the differences are between the two?

I had no idea that they did that switch. We're booked also in late may for two glacier cruises. one with a small boat in Prince William Sound and the other in Tracy Arm. It will be interesting if they change the one in Tracy Arm.

We had the same thing, our small boat excursion became Endicott Arm instead. We loved it no matter what, it was our first Alaska experience and it was amazing! The filter on my camera is what made the sky look purple in the one. The colors, the blues, are just beautiful. We saw the little waterfalls along the way, plus the bear! And a ton of calving from the glacier!

_MG_3125.jpg

_MG_3184.jpg

_MG_3430.jpg

_MG_3447.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tracy Arm is far more close and scenic with twists and turns.    Endicott is a lot straighter.       Both are certainly very worthwhile.

May is a very risky month for entering  Tracy  Arm  and odds are significantly against it.  Long history that repeats this over and over.    Very good chance of not getting Tracy Arm-   and most significant if you do,   many cruise ships-  turn back at Sawyer Island-  which  gives only a distant partial view of South Sawyer Glacier.    

You also will NOT know-  until your day of entry which arm you are taking.    Some ships don't even mention it,   until you past the  "turn"  and underway.    Last year,  I knew the ship was going to Dawes,   and people were insisting-   the "itinerary"  sates  Tracy Arm   etc etc      But the ship wasn't sailing there.  :)  :)     

24 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You also will NOT know-  until your day of entry which arm you are taking.    Some ships don't even mention it,   until you past the  "turn"  and underway.    Last year,  I knew the ship was going to Dawes,   and people were insisting-   the "itinerary"  sates  Tracy Arm   etc etc      But the ship wasn't sailing there.  🙂 🙂    

On one of my trips - they made one announcement at 7 am. Most missed it and thought they were at Tracy Arm all day.

A few lines are changing itineraries in 2020 to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm. 

Edited by Coral

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

On one of my trips - they made one announcement at 7 am. Most missed it and thought they were at Tracy Arm all day.

A few lines are changing itineraries in 2020 to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm. 

Holkham Bay is   also being used.    which gives options for both.   :)   

We will be on the Ovation's only 11 night itinerary in May and our itinerary has us going to Hubbard Glacier and also to Endicott Arm. We are booked with Adventure Bound from Juneau for Tracy Arm. Hopefully, the ice will allow that small boat to maneuver close to the glacier that day. 

2 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We will be on the Ovation's only 11 night itinerary in May and our itinerary has us going to Hubbard Glacier and also to Endicott Arm. We are booked with Adventure Bound from Juneau for Tracy Arm. Hopefully, the ice will allow that small boat to maneuver close to the glacier that day. 

Small boats can definitely maneuver - it is more a matter of time for these boats. Captain Steve was willing to do so but due to catching the cruise ship, he couldn't given our time constraints. Regardless - his tour is amazing even if you don't make it.

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Small boats can definitely maneuver - it is more a matter of time for these boats. Captain Steve was willing to do so but due to catching the cruise ship, he couldn't given our time constraints. Regardless - his tour is amazing even if you don't make it.

One thing that I loved about the itinerary are the long port times.  We will be in Juneau from 7am to 9 pm. The tour is scheduled to be done at 6pm. Hopefully, we will have plenty of wiggle room! 

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

2 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

One thing that I loved about the itinerary are the long port times.  We will be in Juneau from 7am to 9 pm. The tour is scheduled to be done at 6pm. Hopefully, we will have plenty of wiggle room! 

You will have an amazing day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...