Chef's Table Menus

Marykatesmom

On our last VO my daughter and I went to Chef's table twice.  One of the menus I remember being the Venetian Carnival and the carpaccio just plain awful which was a disappointment since I always order it when I see it on the menu.  On our next cruise we have the Mexico menu.  Does anyone have a link to that menu?  I saw some other menus posted but now I can not find them.

Also, once I book a reservation online how do you cancel it or do I have to wait until we are onboard?

Here is Mexico.  Once you make a reservation, on MVJ  you can hit the my current reservations button, and they will all pop up, with a cancel button next to them.

Mexico

Amuse Bouche

Tostadas De Pulpo 

First Course

Tamalito De Pollo

salsa verde

Granité

Nopales Con Limon

Main Course

Short Rib

mole, pure de camote, miel de agave

Dessert

Chocolate En Texturas

mousse, biscocho, crumble

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious if I'll be able to change my 6 PM Chef Table to something later the same evening, and if I'll be able to change my 9 PM reservation at Manfredi to something earlier, on the same or a different day. Mark, can you venture a guess?  I'm guessing Chef's Table will be possible, but maybe not Manfredi's, since Manfredi's seems to be more popular. 

14 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

I’d say yes, to both.  But make the change as early in your cruise as possible.  You’re probably correct that the switch for CT will be easier.  We preferred CT to Manfredi’s, but we seemed to be in the minority.

14 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

I’d say yes, to both.  But make the change as early in your cruise as possible.  You’re probably correct that the switch for CT will be easier.  We preferred CT to Manfredi’s, but we seemed to be in the minority.

I'm with you on this.  I would consider it a shame if they changed Chef's Table.  It's not what I normally do but then neither is going to Europe an everyday occurance for me.  While Manfredi's is a nice Italian restaurant, those types of restaurants are readily available in most cities.  I'll go if it's included but I wouldn't say the cruise would be lacking if I didn't get in.

8 hours ago, Dauntless said:

I'm with you on this.  I would consider it a shame if they changed Chef's Table.  It's not what I normally do but then neither is going to Europe an everyday occurance for me.  While Manfredi's is a nice Italian restaurant, those types of restaurants are readily available in most cities.  I'll go if it's included but I wouldn't say the cruise would be lacking if I didn't get in.

We are not "foodies" by any means but loved our experiences at the Chef's Table.  In July 2018 we did Into the Midnight Sun and enjoyed two dinners - Asian and Indian.  For our upcoming February 2019 cruise, In Search of the Northern Lights, we are signed up for the Scandinavian menu.  Can't wait!  I was honestly not thrilled with Manfredi's.  

We've looked at the sample menus for CT, and can't find an item in each course that would be acceptable.  Do VO offer alternatives 'on the night'?  

Sometimes we've got as far as maybe half of the items on a CT sample menu being ok - but I suppose we could always duck out and head upstairs to the World Café if it didn't work out.

We are not big fans of spicy food, fish is a 'no go' area - so sometimes once we've deleted those items, and then deleted the 'weird and wonderful' items we're left with not much to eat.  

Comments/advice welcome!  Season's greetings.🎅

3 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

We've looked at the sample menus for CT, and can't find an item in each course that would be acceptable.  Do VO offer alternatives 'on the night'?  

Sometimes we've got as far as maybe half of the items on a CT sample menu being ok - but I suppose we could always duck out and head upstairs to the World Café if it didn't work out.

We are not big fans of spicy food, fish is a 'no go' area - so sometimes once we've deleted those items, and then deleted the 'weird and wonderful' items we're left with not much to eat.  

Comments/advice welcome!  Season's greetings.🎅

So there might be a learning curve to CT.  It's not like going to the burger joint but it can just as much fun if you go for the experience.  I tried things  would normally not eat because they are not huge portions so it's like a sampling 'adventure'.  If fish is a no go, alert Viking that you have a seafood allergy and then they will adjust.  I traveled with someone with a dairy issue on the last cruise and everyday his menu was adapted, regardless of which restaurant we went to.  If they couldn't do it then alternatives will be offered.  But there is not a menu for that.  You can always go to WC after you're at CT if you feel your hunger needs weren't met.  Viking knows it's clientele and while some items may appear to be spicy, those flavors are more hinted at rather than dominate as some people in their targeted demographic are beginning to have to adjust their eating habits.  I would say go and sample it all.  It may not be to your liking but it doesn't cost you anything extra to be a little adventurous.  You don't have to be clean plate member and you won't be made to sit at the table until you finish everything.

• Like 2

They do not have alternatives for the menu items, as each course is tailored to fit the theme of the evening.   I’d suggest trying it and sampling each course.  If you don’t like it, then you can head upstairs.

We really liked the entire experience of CT and went to 11 different menus on our trip.  Only disliked one, which was the last.  Had it been the first time we went, we probably wouldn’t have returned.  LOL

Ha!   We were not thrilled with Chefs table..and were able to make a change to Manfredi...but a 9 reservation..which was later than we wanted.   When Manfredi opened that evening we went and spoke to the matre’Di..who suggested we stop back in an hour.    We did and were seated immediately.    Always seems to work out...attitude and approach are important.  

On 12/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, MarkTapley said:

They do not have alternatives for the menu items, as each course is tailored to fit the theme of the evening.   I’d suggest trying it and sampling each course.  If you don’t like it, then you can head upstairs.

We really liked the entire experience of CT and went to 11 different menus on our trip.  Only disliked one, which was the last.  Had it been the first time we went, we probably wouldn’t have returned.  LOL

If CT chef can’t Taylor dish to your taste, they will happily bring you anything from Manfredi’s that is next door.

My DH and I love CT. We are foodies and adventures food wise 😉 but it is an experience that we like most.

We are not foodies - we prefer to spend our time differently.  Just can't get excited about 'trendy' food, which is what we perceive CT to be. 

Food is simply fuel, but simple food superbly cooked - that's fine by us.  I think we may try it once, but 5 minutes will be enough to decide if we like it or not.  There's always an alternative.

We've had gussied-up, fiddled-with food - and we are done with all that.  The main restaurant with the occasional visit to Manfredi's is fine for us - and if we simply can't be bothered then it will be a visit to the World Café.

• Like 1

We will only choose World Cafe when there is no other choice available.  We ARE foodies, hate buffet dining of any sort (Oceania's was the best we have experienced ) and will  be interested if Viking delivers on providing good food.

I plan to do CT the most, as we very much enjoy tasting type menus and trying new foods.  Manfredi's is also on the list and there does not appear to be anything else in terms of specialty venues.

2 hours ago, caviargal said:

We will only choose World Cafe when there is no other choice available.  We ARE foodies, hate buffet dining of any sort (Oceania's was the best we have experienced ) and will  be interested if Viking delivers on providing good food.

I plan to do CT the most, as we very much enjoy tasting type menus and trying new foods.  Manfredi's is also on the list and there does not appear to be anything else in terms of specialty venues.

We are also Oceania Cruisers who very much enjoyed VO and the World Cafe.

Very good food and service in a much more quiet venue.

Our problem with the CT was the lectures with each and every course. Relaxed meal, no way! Some of the offerings were interesting, however.

As for Manfredi’s, it is not your usual “ pasta and sauce” restaurant. We enjoyed the food and service and the ability to have food altered if necessary. 

Hope you enjoy VO !

Edited by orchestrapal

3 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

No, not lectures in the 7 meals I've had there.  They do give you some insight but it might be a 2=3 sentence presentation.

Ok, so that sounds similar to the explanations of preparation and ingredients we are accustomed to at restaurants with tasting menus. 

If you are ever in Riviera Maya, MX, I can highly recommend Le Chique.  We were there for the second time last week and it is exceptional!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

We are also Oceania Cruisers who very much enjoyed VO and the World Cafe.

Very good food and service in a much more quiet venue.

Our problem with the CT was the lectures with each and every course. Relaxed meal, no way! Some of the offerings were interesting, however.

As for Manfredi’s, it is not your usual “ pasta and sauce” restaurant. We enjoyed the food and service and the ability to have food altered if necessary. 

Hope you enjoy VO !

We are probably in the minority here, but we don’t really get all the hype about Manfredi’s. We have dined there 5 different times on 3 VO cruises and found the food mediocre at best. In my opinion, on a good night it didn’t even reach the low bar of an American chain like Carraba’s, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, and certainly inferior to our local Italian restaurants.

Pasta always way past al dente and medium rare steak dry and tasteless, even on the kitchen’s second try.

We have tried the Chefs table on each cruise with mixed results. Asian menu interesting and flavorful, French bistro menu dull and under seasoned.

To each his own though. We still enjoy VO, and usually find something acceptable on the MDR menu, sometimes making a meal of several appetizers.)