Anyone else run afoul of the new signature limits?

shrimp56

LOL, we would have no idea.  One wonderful CC option allows us to simply turn off all signatures.  They take up a lot of space, bore me in a major way (no way do I read that stuff) and we also figure that anyone who can even remember all their cruises probably does not have that much experience :).  If I post information or a suggestion where I think that experience might matter, I will often say something very simple such as, we have spent over 1000 days on cruises or we stopped counting at 100 cruises.  And even this kind of short statement annoys some folks.  I cannot imagine trying to develop a signature with the cruises we do remember.  There would be a few lines of the post and then this silly long signature?  Makes no sense.

Hank

• Like 1

you could abbreviate "7 day" to 7d (etc) and pick up room for another 63 or so characters

Also eliminating the periods in "W. Carib." and "E. Carib." and "N. Pacific" would give 7 more

Edited by catl331

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL, we would have no idea.  One wonderful CC option allows us to simply turn off all signatures.  They take up a lot of space, bore me in a major way (no way do I read that stuff) and we also figure that anyone who can even remember all their cruises probably does not have that much experience :).  If I post information or a suggestion where I think that experience might matter, I will often say something very simple such as, we have spent over 1000 days on cruises or we stopped counting at 100 cruises.  And even this kind of short statement annoys some folks.  I cannot imagine trying to develop a signature with the cruises we do remember.  There would be a few lines of the post and then this silly long signature?  Makes no sense.

Hank

We agree with you. But we have to admit that we were caught flat-footed on this signature limitation thing. We had been boring PAX for years with our cruise history/future cruises & bucket list. Further, our signature was the only place we were recording our cruise history. It's a good thing that we took a screen shot of our signature so we can continue to record our cruises on an Excel spreadsheet for 'prosperity' and failing memories. 😉 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Are you getting an error when you try to save it? If not, it's probably just that you can't see it without expanding it. 

@shrimp56 The limits are based on lines, not characters. You can place a ton of text in your signature - as long at there are 10 or fewer lines. Lines are based on line-breaks or carriage returns.  Just keep typing without hitting the return/enter key and you can go on quite a while.

I added 600 words of Lorem Ipsum sample text to my signature, which you can see if you expand it. I could have added more words, as long as I didn't have more than a total of 10 lines. This will come in handy in case @Hlitner decides to list all his cruises in his signature. :classic_biggrin:

Let me know once you've seen this , because I don't want to leave this stupidly long demo signature up more than a day or so.

Here's a screen cap in case someone's reading this after I set my signature back to normal.

super-signature.thumb.JPG.fc6f1f428ac38d34cd04b40d6343ea52.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

My issue is that I had 9 lines and 1 image and it wouldn't let me save.

Thank you for your kind answer. Some of us haven't been as fortunate as you have.

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

@shrimp56 The limits are based on lines, not characters. You can place a ton of text in your signature - as long at there are 10 or fewer lines. Lines are based on line-breaks or carriage returns.  Just keep typing without hitting the return/enter key and you can go on quite a while.

I added 600 words of Lorem Ipsum sample text to my signature, which you can see if you expand it. I could have added more words, as long as I didn't have more than a total of 10 lines. This will come in handy in case @Hlitner decides to list all his cruises in his signature. :classic_biggrin:

Let me know once you've seen this , because I don't want to leave this stupidly long demo signature up more than a day or so.

Here's a screen cap in case someone's reading this after I set my signature back to normal.

Thank you for you helpful response. I will give that a try.

BTW Hiltner's response reminds me why I don't come here much any more.

10 minutes ago, shrimp56 said:

Thank you for you helpful response. I will give that a try.

BTW Hiltner's response reminds me why I don't come here much any more.

You may want to type your list into a text editor, like Notepad. Then paste them into your signature. Just don't hit the enter key more than 9 times. The text lines will wrap automatically. You can see that in my example, where some lines have white space at the end. In hindsight, I should have typed something like 'End-Of-Line 1**,' 'tEnd-Of-Line 2** ', etc. at the end of each line to make it more obvious, but you get the picture. 

Edited by POA1

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

You may want to type your list into a text editor, like Notepad. Then paste them into your signature. Just don't hit the enter key more than 9 times. The text lines will wrap automatically. You can see that in my example, where some lines have white space at the end. In hindsight, I should have typed something like 'End-Of-Line 1**,' 'tEnd-Of-Line 2** ', etc. at the end of each line to make it more obvious, but you get the picture. 

Understood. BTW I will steal your lucky charms.

5 minutes ago, shrimp56 said:

Understood. BTW I will steal your lucky charms.

There's a post with 1 through 5 charms if you need something other than my 4*. Feel free to use them. They're magically delicious.

Edited by POA1
Added charm links

On 11/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, catl331 said:

you could abbreviate "7 day" to 7d (etc) and pick up room for another 63 or so characters

Also eliminating the periods in "W. Carib." and "E. Carib." and "N. Pacific" would give 7 more

Thanks!

Since everyone has the choice of turning sigs off I will ignore the criticisms of long ones. It is as much for me as you.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, POA1 said:

Thank you SO much for this and your other helpful info on this thread.  My old sig was grandparented in, and I was dreading the edit.  I followed your instructions and had no problem.  Many thanks again!

11 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thank you SO much for this and your other helpful info on this thread.  My old sig was grandparented in, and I was dreading the edit.  I followed your instructions and had no problem.  Many thanks again!

Happy to help!