Equinox-ship secrets?

Mparis184

We are sailing on the Equinox for the first time in January.  You are the experts.  Can you please share any secrets about the Equinox that will help make our cruise better, you must have some.  Any tips and information you can share will be appreciated and we will keep your secrets to ourselves!    Many thanks 

43 minutes ago, Mparis184 said:

We are sailing on the Equinox for the first time in January.  You are the experts.  Can you please share any secrets about the Equinox that will help make our cruise better, you must have some.  Any tips and information you can share will be appreciated and we will keep your secrets to ourselves!    Many thanks 

A couple of my favorites are Cafe Al Bacio, the coffee bar where you can get some very nice Alcoholic Coffees, etc however you will see pastries and cookies  in the showcase.  They are free whether you buy something or not.

Also, in the buffet the Ice Cream is excellent, made on board and they do different flavors.  

The buffet is a pleasant surprise for dinner which we usually do at least once per trip.   No crowds at dinner, very relaxing and they have a grill where you can get steaks and other grilled items.

• Thanks 1

Thanks I forgot about the Cafe which does have the greatest specialty coffee.  Two years ago while in the Med on the Millennium I broke my shoulder and spent a lot of time in the Cafe because I couldnt get off the ship after my accident.  I will try the Buffet for dinner one night, good for a change.  

Hoping to get a good balcony cabin because we booked a guarantee.  With some luck we may even get an upgrade!  Where is that fairy when you need her?  Thanks for your good tips.

6 hours ago, Mparis184 said:

Thanks I forgot about the Cafe which does have the greatest specialty coffee.  Two years ago while in the Med on the Millennium I broke my shoulder and spent a lot of time in the Cafe because I couldnt get off the ship after my accident.  I will try the Buffet for dinner one night, good for a change.  

Hoping to get a good balcony cabin because we booked a guarantee.  With some luck we may even get an upgrade!  Where is that fairy when you need her?  Thanks for your good tips.

I always throw this in just for fun, find the secret staircase....

12 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

But, but, but

if I find it, how do I know it was THE secret staircase?

Now I have something else to look for in 2  weeks. <chuckle>

Thanks a lot dkjretired.  <grin>

Here are my two tips:

1.   Have dinner at the buffet one evening when there is a theme of interest to you.  This could be Mexican, Italian, German nights. No lines and you can eat at whatever pace you wish.  And you can choose your table!

2.  The pastries at Cafe Al Bacio look much better than they taste.  Same with the pizza.

Many ships do have secret staircases and small little decks that lead to nowhere that can become your own special spots to sit on the ship away from the crowds.  Usually the only folks who know about them are people who have cabins next to the secret doors and go and try the doors because they are curious and doors are the are there!  So many surprises.

Keep the tips coming.  

1 hour ago, Mparis184 said:

Many ships do have secret staircases and small little decks that lead to nowhere that can become your own special spots to sit on the ship away from the crowds.  Usually the only folks who know about them are people who have cabins next to the secret doors and go and try the doors because they are curious and doors are the are there!  So many surprises.

Keep the tips coming.  

This one is in the open and used all the time.

The Café on the Millennium had fabulous dessert cakes but I never had any of their pastries, they looked like the same ones they had at the buffet.

I am curious how do you feel about the food on Celebrity?   Years ago it was the finest cuisine at sea but then they started to cut corners and the quality went down a few stars. Don't get me wrong it's still good but not excellent!  

Marion

13 hours ago, Mparis184 said:

The Café on the Millennium had fabulous dessert cakes but I never had any of their pastries, they looked like the same ones they had at the buffet.

I am curious how do you feel about the food on Celebrity?   Years ago it was the finest cuisine at sea but then they started to cut corners and the quality went down a few stars. Don't get me wrong it's still good but not excellent!  

Marion

Don't know how far you go back but we go back to early 90s with Michel Roux, the food and service is no where what it was when he was in charge in any of the restaurants, specialty or regular.  With that being said, the food and service are still excellent  in my opinion. 

Edited by dkjretired

14 hours ago, Mparis184 said:

Marion

You are correct.  The pastries at the Cafe are often the same ones found at the buffet.  Look better than they taste.

The food is very good on Celebrity.  You have lots of choices and you will find out quickly which items are quality.  And which ones to stay away from.  

On 11/24/2018 at 8:06 AM, dkjretired said:

Not so secret but if you go to the deck above the pool and walk forward along the railing you will come to a staircase. Go up the stairs and there is a quiet sitting area with loungers where you can sit and sun yourself. This also is enjoyable for sitting and watching the stars. It can get windy up there at night when the ship is moving.

There is also a narrow internal staircase that leads up there but why should I spoil your fun and tell you where it is and how to get there.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Edited by NordicPrince
misspelling

5 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Don't know how far you go back but we go back to early 90s with Michel Roux, the food and service is no where what it was when he was in charge in any of the restaurants, specialty or regular.  With that being said, the food and service are still excellent  in my opinion. 

Yes we were sailing on Celebrity in those days.  I miss the way they used to serve all the different salad dressings tableside in the MDR and they were unique and just delicious. I also remember being served coffee outside the Lido early in the morning when the servers used to bring it to your table in very nice silver looking decanters.  Everything was first class and I felt like a Queen. 

3 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

Not so secret but if you go to the deck above the pool and walk forward along the railing you will come to a staircase. Go up the stairs and there is a quiet sitting area with loungers where you can sit and sun yourself. This also is enjoyable for sitting and watching the stars. It can get windy up there at night when the ship is moving.

There is also a narrow internal staircase that leads up there but why should I spoil your fun and tell you where it is and how to get there.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about.  Thanks!