Carry on only?

Bubbs33

2 hours ago, champagne123 said:

Royal does not and Celebrity, MSC and NCL do not. None of them have laundry rooms.  If you read my post, I said any ships “I” have sailed on.  I did not say ALL ships.  

Sending laundry out in a tiny little bag for $39 is ridiculous to me and defeats the purpose of bringing a carry on, for ME.  I would rather pay the $25 fee on my airline and bring everything I need and want.  

As as I stated above...never again. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are.  

My post was in respons to someone who said many Princess ships have a laundry, I said I don’t know ant that don’t, obviously referring to Princess ships. But then maybe you didn’t bother to read what I quoted.

38 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Hear what you're saying BUT even on longer cruises like 29 days, I still pack what I wish for tops because I want to and makes me feel good and enjoy the cruise more!   :classic_cool:

Doubt I’ve got enough shirts for a 30 day cruise, in fact I’d say I packed lighter for a 35 night cruise than I do for a 12 night one.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We look at it this way.  If we are traveling for a month, more often two as we usually do  we can hardly bring enough clothes to last.  So we essentially pack for six or seven days.

Yep what we do too but for us it’s normally 8 days worth.

Edited by GUT2407

22 hours ago, iancal said:

We look at it this way.  If we are traveling for a month, more often two as we usually do  we can hardly bring enough clothes to last.  So we essentially pack for six or seven days.

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep what we do too but for us it’s normally 8 days worth.

Good for you...here is your gold star and I am sure you will be on the carry-on hall of fame packing award list. 

Slidergirl made this comment earlier...

"Sigh.  It seems like the same people over and over will say that those who pack carry on only do not care what they wear or how they look.  Total BS."

I have never said or implied that those who pack carry on only don't care. I am sure you look great. I just don't like the implication that those who choose to take checked bags are disorganised and "over packers".

Note to self, ignore threads on packing. 

Now back to the fun task of organising my packing for my upcoming 7.5 week holiday.

Julie 

Edited by frantic36

22 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Hear what you're saying BUT even on longer cruises like 29 days, I still pack what I wish for tops because I want to and makes me feel good and enjoy the cruise more!   :classic_cool:

Unless I am visiting both cold and warm areas (or engaging in both very casual and very formal activities) the length of travel makes little difference:  I will want a certain amount for a week -or for eight weeks;  I will want changes of clothes either way,  and will need to get laundry done just once — or many times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Good for you...here is your gold star and I am sure you will be on the carry-on hall of fame packing award list. 

"Sigh.  It seems like the same people over and over will say that those who pack carry on only do not care what they wear or how they look.  Total BS."

I have never said or implied that those who pack carry on only don't care. I am sure you look great. I just don't like the implication that those who choose to take checked bags are disorganised and "over packers".

Now back to the fun task of organising my packing for my upcoming 7.5 week holiday.

There's no prize for packing light but sometimes it's necessary.

I've done a 6 week business trip where carry-on was preferred due to tight connections one of which was in an airport not known for its efficiency plus a final 4 hour shared car ride to the job site.

On the upside it was a warm location, laundry services were provided and suit and tie weren't required.  I had computer and camera equipment, about a weeks worth of clothing and carefully chose what I wore on the plane (rain jacket and work boots.) I breezed through the tight connections and there was plenty of room in the car for my bags.  If I'd checked bags the odds would have been not good they'd have arrived with me.  So it meant absolutely no frills or luxuries in my packing. 

The larger problem with carry-on only is the restrictions on liquids aerosols but I made it under the limit with a couple of modest work-arounds.  

For your 7.5 week trip how many bags will you take and of what size? What will you bring that you can't live without? 

Edited by K32682

Hi K32682, I will take a 26 " checked bag, a duffel bag that slips over the handle you use to pull it along, plus one small carry on weighing under 7kg that carries electronics, DSLR and a change of clothes. I will be taking formal clothes as on Seabourn Holiday cruises  it is fun to dress up for dinner as they make an effort in the MDR with food and decorations.

For things I feel I need to take it usually is some toiletries and medication. Even in the USA and Europe, if I run out of some of my favourites I have found it difficult to find replacements that work as well. Plus there is the time spent trying to decide what to use as a substitute. 

For your business trip I do understand the need to travel light for efficiency of travel. Thankfully I don't need to on this trip.

I know I said I would ignore the thread but I got one of these new fangled notifications and I have been taught it is polite to answer a direct question.😊

Julie

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Hi K32682, I will take a 26 " checked bag, a duffel bag that slips over the handle you use to pull it along, plus one small carry on weighing under 7kg that carries electronics, DSLR and a change of clothes. I will be taking formal clothes as on Seabourn Holiday cruises  it is fun to dress up for dinner as they make an effort in the MDR with food and decorations.

For things I feel I need to take it usually is some toiletries and medication. Even in the USA and Europe, if I run out of some of my favourites I have found it difficult to find replacements that work as well. Plus there is the time spent trying to decide what to use as a substitute. 

For your business trip I do understand the need to travel light for efficiency of travel. Thankfully I don't need to on this trip.

I know I said I would ignore the thread but I got one of these new fangled notifications and I have been taught it is polite to answer a direct question.😊

Julie

Thanks.  From my perspective that's hardly over-packing for a trip of almost two months duration that entails formal wear. 

• Like 1

No judgment of anybody intended or implied, but I love to travel with just a carry-on. I suppose it's because I've had a few bad experiences. Once, the airline mis-routed my checked bag for a 3-day houseboat trip for somebody's anniversary. I was forced to spend the weekend in clothing purchased at 9 pm from the grocery store and looked and felt awful in the photos. Another time, we almost missed our int'l connection because we had to reclaim and re-check baggage.

Since then, I've tried to master the art of carry-on and travelling light. I like how nimble and adaptable it makes me feel. You're quick off the plane, quick to the cab, get first-in-line access over fellow travellers and can change your plans on a dime.  

Frankly, I also think I look better under the carry-on philosophy. Before when I filled a large suitcase, my focus was on quantity and variety. Now, knowing I have to be extremely selective with what I bring, I focus on a few high quality, classic and versatile pieces and don't feel shy about paying big $$ for quality gear because I know the items will be well-used.

My current travel go-tos are:

- a Burberry shawl in burgundy and rose tones I alternately use as a blanket on the plane, a neck scarf for dressing up an outfit, and a shawl paired with an evening gown. Weighs a few grams and tucks into my purse.

- 3-inch Crocs heels that look great with a business suit, but which I can also walk in comfortably for a whole day of city sightseeing. 

- a silky little black dress, which I dress down for plane travel and sightseeing and dress up to use as a cocktail dress. Makes me look like a million bucks. 

- Icebreaker clothes in 100% merino. Incredibly lightweight, warm and comfortable. It's anti-microbial so stays fresh without washing for quite a long time (mountaineers tell disgusting stories about going 30+ days without washing their Icebreaker, but truly the stuff does not smell). I have a hoodie that is my light jacket, which I also use for an extra warm layer. Also a few shirts pretty enough to be blouses, but can also be worn under shirts. And a pair of pants that work as regular trousers, but can also be used for light workouts (eg x-country skiing), or as a baselayer for skiing. A t-shirt is about $100 and the hoodie $300, but it's so useful it's worth it. Really easy to wash/hang, everything folds quite small, and wrinkles can be shaken out. And OK, I'll admit that it's so warm and comfortable I use them as pyjamas in a pinch.

On a recent 3-day work retreat with a formal evening event, business meetings and 2 casual outings, I only filled half my carry-on, yet got compliments all weekend on my "fashion" and "style," which made me chuckle. People's eyes bugged out when I rolled up with my little bag, and they looked on with envy when they had to wait 40 minutes for their stalled luggage to come out on the conveyor while I walked straight from the plane into a cab. 

Does anybody have favourite travel go-tos they'd like to share? I'm always on the lookout for great ideas/items.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Love your post FRESHYCAT

Haha, thanks, champagne123! 

I forgot to add my newest love -- my cheap Chromebook, which is so small and lightweight I actually carry it in my purse. It works just fine as a laptop in a pinch. My purse holds my Chromebook, smartphone, wallet, the family's travel documents and a bottle of water once I clear security. My carry-on holds clothing, 2 pairs of shoes (the Crocs heels and sneakers) and my toiletries bag.

I always have room left over, which is good because my kids are always asking me to carry stuff for them. 

On 11/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, frantic36 said:

Julie 

A tad touchy?  I did not call you out.  I said that it seems like the same people call carry-on travelers slobs or Walmart people.  Both on this forum and also on HAL forum.  And, same people over the years.  Since I don't recognize your name, you were definitely not one that I think of.   And, I never said checkers are disorganized and over packers.    I was off CC for almost a year due to a very serious and nearly deadly illness.  I just came back; I wish I had stayed off...

On 11/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, OCruisers said:

May wear the same bottoms that I've sent to be cleaned BUT I always have different tops each day ... and sometimes two per day! :classic_smile:

I wear bottoms more than once unless they are clearly dirty, but don't re-wear tops that I have worn all day.  I do re-wear a top that I have worn only a couple of hours, unless dirty.  I don't mind washing out underwear, but seldom wash shirts or pants.

It's a lot easier than it used to be since I seldom take truly formal clothes anymore; dressy but not formal.

I have cruised for 7 days in a carry-on--we were flying with 7 (seven!) grandkids and did not want to pay baggage fees for 9.  It worked, but I do prefer more variety.  I have also done a 9 day vacation in Costa Rica with a carry-on.

We usually get one free checked bag with our preferred airline and if just cruising will take on big bag and a small carry-on.  Sometimes we take a normal sized carry-on as well if going for a longer time or if needing bulkier gear.

For a land vacation I strive to use a carry-on bag and one fairly roomy 'personal' item.  

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

On 12/1/2018 at 5:19 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

I have cruised for 7 days in a carry-on--we were flying with 7 (seven!) grandkids and did not want to pay baggage fees for 9.  

I hear you! Between DH's kids and our own, we used to travel as a family of 7. It was a lot easier to keep track of baggage when everybody had just the one carry-on! Every time you look at a kid, he better have his bag somewhere close at hand. I suppose that's another reason I've learned to travel light -- it's hard to squeeze luggage for 7 into a single vehicle if they all start bringing extra bags.

2 hours ago, purplegrapefruit said:

One bathing suit is not enough for a cruise!  Those things don't dry in a day hanging on the little shower clothes line!

And there's nothing worse than putting on a wet bathing suit!   It feels kind of creepy somehow, like crawling into a grave. (Yes, I know that makes no sense, and I've never crawled into a grave for comparison, but that's the simile that comes to mind when I think about putting on a wet bathing suit.)

On 11/29/2018 at 9:11 AM, frantic36 said:

Julie 

Not sure why the snarky comment, we don’t do carry on, 8 days fills a bag pretty solidly, one issue is neither of us have much, if any more than 8 days of non work wear.

3 hours ago, purplegrapefruit said:

One bathing suit is not enough for a cruise!  Those things don't dry in a day hanging on the little shower clothes line!

That might help my packing, don’t think I’ve ever been in a pool on a ship.

9 hours ago, purplegrapefruit said:

Haha, true, but bathing suits are small. You can get a lot of them into a carry-on. :) It's the extra shoes and multiple jackets, sweaters and  jeans that will kill you.

33 minutes ago, Freshycat said:

Haha, true, but bathing suits are small. You can get a lot of them into a carry-on. 🙂 It's the extra shoes and multiple jackets, sweaters and  jeans that will kill you.

Just a little tip.  For small things like bathing suits,  socks, undies, etc... roll up items, put in ziploc bag and put in shoes. Even some toiletries will work for this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Just a little tip.  For small things like bathing suits,  socks, undies, etc... roll up items, put in ziploc bag and put in shoes. Even some toiletries will work for this.

That's a great idea! I tuck gloves into ski boots, but never thought to tuck things into regular shoes. That's way better than just squishing them really flat as I've been doing.

These threads appear from time to time and I have the utmost respect for those who can travel with just a carry on; however, it’s not for everyone. Personally I like options for changing clothes, especially for dinner in a hot climate like the Caribbean.  I will send clothes out or wash a few things and hang to dry. 

One thing I frequently comment on is sunscreen. TSA three ounces just doesn’t work if you are using correctly. Yes, you can buy in port before sailing, but not everyone rents a car, and has the ability or desire to shop prior to sailing.  Too expensive and not much of a selection on board. 

Finally, many people, myself included, fly to major airports on small regional jets. I have to connect through Chicago, Detroit or Minneapolis.  Standard roller bag carry on bags have to be gate checked and cannot fit in overheads.  You do claim at the jet bridge, not baggage claim, but still takes time and defeats the purpose of having control over your bag. In fact I have found people are often more likely to grab the wrong gatrchecked bag as they just have a small tag you write yourself, and lots of small black carryons. I personally have a colorful carry on and tie a bandanna around the handle. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freshycat said:

I hear you! Between DH's kids and our own, we used to travel as a family of 7. It was a lot easier to keep track of baggage when everybody had just the one carry-on! Every time you look at a kid, he better have his bag somewhere close at hand. I suppose that's another reason I've learned to travel light -- it's hard to squeeze luggage for 7 into a single vehicle if they all start bringing extra bags.

Yep, and everyone had to be responsible for their own rolling suitcase--even the 5 year old.  Lots of checking from G'ma and G'pa though.  Let's just say this was a wonderful, wild and wacky cruise, but not the most relaxing!