Carry on only?

Bubbs33

I just did a 9 day cruise with carry on - flying from Canada - but as mentioned, it takes focus and planning and ability.  I maxed out flight size and weights for carry on and personal items and fights home required running for connections - not a comfortable thing dragging a 2 wheeled bag with about 35-40 pounds of 'carry on'.

That being said, my tote carried my quilting and birdwatching gear. My suitcase carried typical cruise wear....including 6 signature necklaces, and a variety of tops and bottoms for casual to evening.  No formal, formal wear but nice enough.  I am no size 0 person and I sew, so I buy or make my clothes to work for me, they are typically thin fabrics - cotton or poly - and yes, I do laundry.

Now, this works for me cruise or land travel (which I do more often); but I don't assume anyone else whats to do it my way. I am just noting some of us do.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, Bubbs33 said:

Thank you to all those who have commented. As the OP to this thread I apologize for posting the link to an article without comment or context. I am new to cruising, from Canada and not near any port for embarking. I'm researching others thoughts on packing and what is necessary, nice to have etc. I have no problem checking baggage or paying baggage fees if life will be easier with more baggage. However, I am in the planning stages of my first cruise and we're going to Alaska.  As I found this article on carry on only, I thought it might be helpful to others who are interested....no shame or guilt trip implied. There have been many perspectives shared and I hope others feel positive about sharing as well.  I love the idea of taking scrabble or board games. We usually travel with cards.

Bubbs - layers for Alaska.  Not sure where you are from, but think BC West Coast (-a few degrees C).  Wet weather jacket (and underwear) is a must, but as well as a jacket, I would pack a couple of those travel store clear garbage bag type rain ponchos.  If you don't intend to take rainproof pants, these ponchos will save you from a soggy backside, and as weather can roll in on short notice, a couple in your backpack every port can help. Most of that area is a rain forest, so plan for rain.

Keep in mind a lot of the ships have a library which loans out board games....and there is usually a jigsaw puzzle on the go there too.

This is the website I learned to 'one bag pack' from....https://www.onebag.com/

Also, do you know CC has a 'first time cruiser' forum?  You might pick up tips from there too.

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I've found lack of strength and height can be a problem with carry-on.  Too many people need help getting their bags into the overhead bin. If you can't lift it check it.

Travelling with just carry-on requires a little more focus and discipline and while my preference is to not check the decision depends on location, length of the stay, planned activities, availability of laundry, anticipated weather and whether I need items not allowed into an airplane cabin. There is no sense of pride in being carry-on only or shame in checking a bag.     

True -- on virtually every flight I've been on there have been passengers delaying others' boarding because they are either too short, or not strong enough, to lift their carry-ons into the overhead - so they struggle with it (sometimes them) until I  or someone else lifts it/them for them.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

True -- on virtually every flight I've been on there have been passengers delaying others' boarding because they are either too short, or not strong enough, to lift their carry-ons into the overhead - so they struggle with it (sometimes them) until I  or someone else lifts it/them for them.

I am waiting for when the aging gent who does this has a disc slip or has a lawyer on speed dial for injuries incurred by helping someone who isn't physically able to care for their own luggage.  Talk about boarding delays.

Airlines are stating that the heavier piece of luggage is supposed to go under the seat in front of you.  Of course, it rarely fits there....

This is probably why most airlines that we have been on, outside of North America, all seem to have weight restrictions for carry on.  Usually 7KG.  Last year, in Kuala Lumpur, AirAsia had an agent with a scale, just before security,  checking the weight of carry ons.   We have experienced the same in Europe.  Each of our bags is usually 7-7.5 kg  (15/16lbs)  -because of our ability to handle and the because of these restrictions.

Not certain why all carriers don't do this for safety and for ease of boarding.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Shame on them!  Don't pack what you can't manage, and if you can't manage to lift a bag into the overhead bin, then you should check it.  Or, at very least, hire (i.e. pay) someone to lift it up there for you.  The bags that North Americans get away with as "carry ons" just won't pass in most of the rest of the world.  

I firmly believe that airlines have it backwards.......they should be charging for carry on bags (beyond what can fit under a seat), and allowing people to check a bag for free.  It would do so much more to improve the comfort, safety, and efficiency of flying.

Airlines are not particularly interested in passenger comfort or efficiency.  They are much more focused on revenue.

Some airlines do charge for carry on.  Jetstar allows for 7Kg.  You can buy up to 11KG carry on  but it is often more cost effective to buy the package that includes checked baggage.  

Edited by iancal

We see considerably fewer larger and heavier carry on bags in SE Asia and Europe than we do in North America.   

I suspect that it comes down to enforcement.  Fees at checkin time are often much higher than they are at time of booking.

We are "chronic overpackers" and prefer to keep it that way :).  When we have to cut-back on packing because of extended land trips (we travel independently and have to deal with our own luggage) it makes packing stressful.  DW and I have a "rule" that we do not want to spend any of our vacation time doing laundry :).  We also do not want to be those folks who wash-out their underwear in the sink.  So we overpack, have plenty of clothes from which to make our choices, and sometimes send out laundry :).  

As to the airlines and luggage we have finally found the perfect solution :).  It is called Business Class!  Yes, I know that its expensive (although some cruise lines have amazing deals through their air programs) but we have recently (the last 5 years) discovered that for us, its often worth the extra money.  Imagine, one can fly 17+ hours to distant places and get off the plane feeling rested and relaxed :).  And being able to take 2 pieces of luggage (per person) and not worrying about being overweight (70 pounds is the norm for Business/First) makes packing a breeze.  If you can't decide which outfit or shoes to take....just take them all :).  

Yes, we often see CC threads about packing light.  But perhaps we need to start a thread about the "Joys of Overpacking."

Hank

• Like 3

Bravo Hank...could not have said it better myself.  

Made a big mistake a couple of years ago and tried the "carry-on", "anyone can do it"  "mix and match"  "stick with basic colors"....ugh.  I never felt so disgusting in my life.  After being under the hot Caribbean sun all day, the outfit I had on, was  NOT reusable.  Never again.   I don't repeat wear any article of clothing at home, why in the world would I do it on a cruise ship.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champagne123 said:

After being under the hot Caribbean sun all day, the outfit I had on, was  NOT reusable.  Never again.   I don't repeat wear any article of clothing at home, why in the world would I do it on a cruise ship.  

Um........can't you do some laundry, or have someone else do it?  Or do you never do laundry and just buy new everything all the time?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champagne123 said:

Bravo Hank...could not have said it better myself.  

Made a big mistake a couple of years ago and tried the "carry-on", "anyone can do it"  "mix and match"  "stick with basic colors"....ugh.  I never felt so disgusting in my life.  After being under the hot Caribbean sun all day, the outfit I had on, was  NOT reusable.  Never again.   I don't repeat wear any article of clothing at home, why in the world would I do it on a cruise ship.  

May wear the same bottoms that I've sent to be cleaned BUT I always have different tops each day ... and sometimes two per day! :classic_smile:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Um........can't you do some laundry, or have someone else do it?  Or do you never do laundry and just buy new everything all the time?

???  The only cruise line I have been on that has laundry rooms is Carnival.  Why would I buy new clothes?  Your question is very confusing....and a little rude.  

Edited by champagne123

2 hours ago, champagne123 said:

???  The only cruise line I have been on that has laundry rooms is Carnival.  Why would I buy new clothes?  Your question is very confusing....and a little rude.  

More than Carnival have passenger laundries, and I think every line offers a laundry service.

but hey whatever suits you.

25 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I can’t think of one that doesn’t 

Royal does not and Celebrity, MSC and NCL do not. None of them have laundry rooms.  If you read my post, I said any ships “I” have sailed on.  I did not say ALL ships.  

Sending laundry out in a tiny little bag for $39 is ridiculous to me and defeats the purpose of bringing a carry on, for ME.  I would rather pay the $25 fee on my airline and bring everything I need and want.  

As as I stated above...never again. I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OCruisers said:

May wear the same bottoms that I've sent to be cleaned BUT I always have different tops each day ... and sometimes two per day! :classic_smile:

I can see that possibility on shorter cruises, but what about longer ones? We're soon  embarking on a trip that will last 35 days, with B2B cruises. I have neither the budget nor the cabin space to pack 70 different tops!  I'm planning on taking sufficient clothes for 10 days and doing/sending out laundry a few times. That will mean one large suitcase for each of us, plus another that we'll share for our dressier evening wear. I think there is a point where practicality has to come into play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, champagne123 said:

You said that your clothes couldn't be reused after a hot day in the sun, and I wondered why you didn't just get them laundered (either by yourself, or by the ship's laundry).   I'm not sure why you say that using the ship's laundry "defeats the purpose" of traveling with a carry on......to me, it's the essence of traveling with a carry on i.e. packing a only a carry on for convenience and comfort. 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I can see that possibility on shorter cruises, but what about longer ones? We're soon  embarking on a trip that will last 35 days, with B2B cruises. I have neither the budget nor the cabin space to pack 70 different tops!  I'm planning on taking sufficient clothes for 10 days and doing/sending out laundry a few times. That will mean one large suitcase for each of us, plus another that we'll share for our dressier evening wear. I think there is a point where practicality has to come into play.

Hear what you're saying BUT even on longer cruises like 29 days, I still pack what I wish for tops because I want to and makes me feel good and enjoy the cruise more!   :classic_cool: