Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

34 minutes ago, first mate said:

I think the hand washing station is a great idea.  I can do a better job of getting my hands clean than with gel.  Also, some germs are not killed with hand sanitizers.  Having said that, I carry my own gel and use it after getting food and before eating.  Re: the handles being a germ incubator...use a paper towel to turn the water off like you do in any public restroom.  

You are presuming that paper towels are being used to turn the water off, correct?

I know that I Am not that paranoid about getting germs from such items, yet understand many others are. I happen, amoungst other businesses, in janitorial services.

bon voyage

Marilyn, I hope you’re relaxing somewhere on lovely Edge, with an exquisite cocktail that helps numb your pain😊 I’m going to scroll back to enjoy all your posts and photos again. Thank you for your wonderful live review. I’m enjoying the journey along with you. Cheers, Michelle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Did I mention the handwahing center in the OVC? Instead of purell they have a nice hand washing area. So cool!

489ED8A9-ED4B-411E-8EEB-2251EEB4664D.thumb.jpeg.85ae697b3c9a2804f66db6838dda0ffa.jpeg

1 hour ago, hcat said:

As for the open trough sink area...with all those handles, it looks like a germ incubator to me. Also looks like a good place to have clothes splashed on...

We wash before and after meals and carry our own sanitizers. We'll pass on the sinks!

I've looked at this photo carefully, and I don't see any handles – it looks like electric eye faucets and soap dispensers.  But I also don't see any way to dry your hands???

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I've looked at this photo carefully, and I don't see any handles – it looks like electric eye faucets and soap dispensers.  But I also don't see any way to dry your hands???

Good catch! No need to touch the faucets, good move by X! There appears to be a hole in the counter (for trash ?) at the right hand corner of the photo. Perhaps we can’t see the paper towels?

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes all automatic -towels hidden above- took us a minute to find them. I’ll try to get a better picture. It’s a cool set up. 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree.  So, now you have a situation where people with dripping hands will turn away from the sink to find towels, and walk on that lovely tile floor, making it wet so others can come along after them and slip in the water?  Yeah.  Great plan.   

Sorry - wrote this before the report of the towels above the stations.  I did, however, notice that the actual faucets are staggered from one side to the other, giving more room between each individual station.  That is a good thing, and gives you room between you and your next-faucet neighbor.  Now all we have to do is get everyone to USE them!

Edited by beachbunny6

I haven’t had time to read back thru all posts. I will have something to do for the two days in FLL and then back on for 3 days to finish answering questions. 

Oville, Katie, I’ve missed seeing you. If you read this and want to come by between 6:30 and 7:30, I’ll be around. 10147. If anyone else wants to stop by from the Cruise Critic group, please do. We’ve got 2 bottles to finish up! 😀

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

I haven’t had time to read back thru all posts. I will have something to do for the two days in FLL and then back on for 3 days to finish answering questions. 

Oville, Katie, I’ve missed seeing you. If you read this and want to come by between 6:30 and 7:30, I’ll be around. 10147. If anyone else wants to stop by from the Cruise Critic group, please do. We’ve got 2 bottles to finish up! 😀

BYO glass, of course.  :classic_wink:

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Marilyn, we’ll pop up to say hi around 6:30.

Continued thanks to Marilyn who continues to answer questions and post photos.  You are a real trooper!  

Wising you all a great "HAPPY HOUR!"  Wish we were there to toast to all of you and Edge.  ENJOY

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DachshundsRule said:

VT, feel better and make up a great story to go with your injuries! The faceless people pushed you, you bumped into the hippie van which is why they had to remove it, you got into a fight with LLP at the Martini Bar...

No, you have it all wrong.  Mr. Edge kicked her!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, beachbunny6 said:

Regarding the hand washing stations at the OVC, they are very nice, but the problem is getting people to use them.  It is difficult enough to get the hand sanitizer used, but at least someone can essentially block entry into the area by standing at the door and dispensing it to everyone.  Once it is on your hands, you almost have to rub it around to get rid of it, and that works.  However, to get everyone to stop and wash their hands WELL, is another problem.  (I believe you are supposed to wash thoroughly for 2 minutes) You know that is not going to happen.  So, even if we all wash well, not everyone else will, and there you go... germs passed.  The only way to get it controlled on a personal basis, is to get your food, put it down at your table, then go wash before you eat it.  That way, you have not touched something anyone else did before you touch your own food.  Just a suggestion.

I think you might have hand washing mixed up with tooth brushing.  Hand washing is 20 seconds - singing "Happy Birthday" song twice will just about do it.  

Edited by BurBunny
  • Like 1

Beachbunny, we were on Harmony in late Sept. They have these stations and someone blocks the entry... forcing you past the handwashing sinks. While it is possible to ignore and go on.. virtually everyone stopped. Now they might not have spent sufficient time...but they did go their. I have heard that purell might help some but is not really sufficient. My sister went to Spain on vacation... she noticed that public washrooms often had no soap so she used purell... came back with BOTH Ecoli AND Salmonella... one sick girl.... after 11 days of IV antibotics and several CAT scans... she is now much better. I will definately be stopping and singing happy birthday 🙂 

• Like 1

Please Wash your hands with soap & water at  home and on a cruise ship before dinner.

The key one: wash your hands with soap & water after using public & home restrooms facilities. Plus in public facilities liked on a cruise ship, amusement parks and restaurants  use clean paper towel to exit the restroom doors. This is a pet pew.

• Like 1