Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

11 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I hope they are doing something about it ship wide --- shame they didn't listen to the feedback from CC months back about the furniture to save them all of the apologies. It will be interesting to see what happens and hope they have it sorted by August 😉

Anyway, thanks again vtcruising - looks like you are having a fab time.

Just wondering if you managed to check out the area on starboard at the aft of the ship that looks like an outdoor area from Eden. Our cabin is on deck 8 8292 above this space and we were told by at least 3 people (and in writing) that it would not be noisy. I am not convinced ....

I have pictures but no one was eating there. I will try to check it out!

Just now, vtcruising said:

I have pictures but no one was eating there. I will try to check it out!

Thanks - wave to our balcony for us - we are 6th from the end by a fire wall apparently.

Booked in March 2018 for August 2019 and it has been brilliant sharing your cruises with you and all of the excitement. (And all of your ups and downs ... if you get my drift!)

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:25 AM, vtcruising said:

Just saw this from SeaWatch's thread:

"We've just hired our third woman captain at Celebrity, which is a big deal," says Lutoff-Perlo. "Captain Kate McCue will be taking over this ship as captain in 2019." (was talking about the Edge)

I will be booking Edge next year, I guess. It sounds like she is a great captain and interacts with passengers, etc.

OMG!!! We LOVE her! We just sailed on the Equinox in Oct, and it was by far the best crew we have ever had. Now I need to find the money to cruise on the Edge, because she is kind of pricey for us right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Just had room service on our teeny tiny table. It was pretty funny. The suite manager came to chat with us and apologized about the furniture - it sounds like she’s heard it a lot and they are going to do something about it. I think we may have some decent furniture later today though I said we didn’t want special treatment. She said some are happy with going to use the lovely Retreat loungers, but understands we enjoy some private lounging time. 

Okay, this was our set up for breakfast. Notice that the Tom-Tom can be used for your coffee or tea!! 😀A744D27D-1ADB-480F-85E5-D372AD0C376E.thumb.jpeg.802b52155bef7c8990b5c6e52e538b79.jpeg47F3D7BF-CB7B-4DF3-916A-B213F07A3655.thumb.jpeg.5ec7319cff1a6adf53ce98eea90ceb4f.jpeg 

Thank you for doing room service. As others have commented it is a total design fail. Also there doesnt seem to be a coffee table in the main suite  which can be raised to eating height. Not possible to have in suite dining without this. Someone corporate need to speedily get onto this to order suitable chairs and tables for all the sky suites....practicality first!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kimlovesfl said:

OMG!!! We LOVE her! We just sailed on the Equinox in Oct, and it was by far the best crew we have ever had. Now I need to find the money to cruise on the Edge, because she is kind of pricey for us right now. 

Have heard of her. Have to say we never seem to think of Celebrity Captains as being out and about much so it will be good if she is as good as others think. Any idea when in 2019 and for how long?

2 hours ago, Howie999 said:

We’re now docked in Nassau - and I’ll add my two cents worth to VT’s wonderful commentary. 

This ship is amazing. New little touches are everywhere, showing Celebrity took care in planning and executing this type of ship. For instance, there are drawer dividers in the larger drawers. Nice to keep things organized if you’re OCD like me. Oh, and those drawers are nice self closing, nice and quiet!

The ship is VERY well designed, and seems much bigger inside than the other ships. The Grand Foyer seems very big to me, nice usage of space. The Oceanview Cafe has wonderful high ceilings. That’s a great improvement over M and S class ships. The usage of some shared, bar-height tables and chairs in Oceanview is very nice, too. Kind of a European thing. 

Tuscan restaurant last night was beautiful - the waiter service was fantastic. My prime rib was great, and their signature Tuscan bean soup was amazing. 

“The Club” is very fun - seems like video walls were everywhere, people crowded in there, dancing with the performers from the show. We’re going back tonight after our dinner with Le Petit Chef tonight. 

I can see why the Rooftop Garden is VT’s chosen hangout. Simply beautiful. Fun furniture that’s tough to get out of! 😜

Sunset Bar also seems much bigger than in other ships - lots of seating. 

We have an Infinite Verandah cabin - and the design is wonderful. Again, it seems bigger than normal Verandah cabins. Shower is bigger? Bathroom door closes via magnets! Very cool. 

Having the French Doors open in the cabin really makes the cabin bigger - because it is! No step down or up to get on the Verandah, just the hard flooring instead of carpeting makes it seem like the verandah is part of the room, not a different space. 

In the cabin, the air conditioning turns off when you have the “window” down. Great to hear the sounds of the sea, but I can imagine it would get hot in the cabin during Caribbean summers.  It also appears that the A/C stays on in the bathroom whether or not the window is open - causing condensation to form on the bathroom mirror, shower door and floor if you have the IV window open. The only real issue with this is the floor being damp if you’re not expecting it - potential slip hazard? There is a slight texture to the tile floor in the bathroom, however, so this probably isn’t a real big issue. It just surprised us. 

The IV window, when you have it down, is rather hard to see through. It is designed so the upper glass is behind the lower glass - so now you have two panes of tinted (and in our case) water spotted glass blocking your view, so it’s not the optimal view from the chairs.

This ship is crazy wonderful - Celebrity has really come through with the goods. And very few burps, considering everything is new (including the staff getting used to everything), not withstanding VT’s leak, of course 😁

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this ship!

Great review! Yes a lot of things are designed so well. Overall we are very pleased. I’ve talked to everyone I can in the elevators and bathrooms to get opinions and surprisingly they have been about 90% positive. Everyone says the ship is beautiful, even the older men I’ve spoken to (sorry I’m generalizing). There have been some minor hiccups, but people have been positive most of the time. We will see after a full day!  

I heard that the bridge has locked the IVs for high winds so they couldn’t be opened - ? On the last cruise.

The poor plumber was sweating profusely last night - I think he had been busy.

The crew here is by far the best I’ve ever encountered. They are very calm and professional despite the glitches and seem to truly care about us. The GR manager saw me and asked how I was feeling and said it looked like I was healing well. Others who helped me that day have come up to me to see how I am. Just truly a special group of people!!!!!😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

The food looks amazing! And your updates about the music during dinner sound like good progress. I was reading some one else's notes while at the MB and they mentioned they felt for the dinner guests who might not be able to have dinner conversation. We like progress!

Yes they seem to be trying very hard to change as needed. The pool music is quiet today. Food is superb so far!

• Like 1

Looking forward to your full review of the Cabana !  Looks great so far.

Any photos of what the room service menu is like?  It seems so far that the flow to get around the ship is smooth - easy to get around if you have a transport chair or scooter?  How is the in-room TV 'entertainment'?  It's been at least five years since we've been on Celebrity (Silhouette) and having just cruised Disney exclusively the last few years, am eager to see how Celebrity has come along ... 

50 minutes ago, mit429 said:

I'm curious to find out if it does get sunny, so be sure to let us know.

Can you also confirm that they rope off that "walkway" so there aren't people walking by you all day?

Do you hear a lot of noise from the pool/pool band?

Wow ... clearly someone didn't think about this furniture very well!

Looks delicious!! I have heard some other people say that FC can get kind of loud with the noise from the Grand Plaza, what is your impression? Can you really hear everything that happens down in the GP/Martini Bar?

Much better last night - they’ve toned it down. Started the wild stuff at 10:15, just as We were finishing so we got to see the MB light show.

Funny because they initially just put a private function sign by the cabanas so everyone just walked by (hard to read sign in the sun). It took about 1 1/2 hrs and now it is roped off. Yes the 2 chairs are available for us . We are in number 2 which gives a little more privacy than 1 and 6 on the ends (and Mast Grill is next to 6 so will be hopping). 

You can see the rope below. There is a chest of games to play too😀

13B55F08-A684-43F7-95E7-0EA170907CB2.thumb.jpeg.d9f448cda548c56ba412c427db5d7222.jpeg

821A6708-4310-4D5B-9DD0-A283ABAAEE21.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

I had read that too, but it just dawned on me that we could have her for the April TA?!

Marilyn, thanks for all the wonderful cabana updates!  I have booked a half cabana as well, but there did not seem to be any way to choose a particular number.  I am not sure if I will keep the reservation or not depending up whether it can be used by only us or by others in our six person group.  Any idea if they only allow two people to use it at one time?  If so, can others in our group use it as long as there are only two people there?Just don't know if I would want to be there the entire 9 to 6 time, but know my mother-in-law and friends would probably love to take a turn if that is permissible.

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

I am quite sure they are going to fix it! The suite manager couldn’t apologize enough. She was there and saw this set up. I told her that social media was abuzz about this!

I sure hope so. I looked at the furniture of the suites on S Class ships the other day and to a certain extent those are better. I can't believe they didn't test it out themselves to see if it would work. Maybe they have ordered new furniture and its on its way :classic_smile:

Thanks very much for all your feedback and answering questions. 

Have a great Cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I hope that they are sorting it out for all cabin types. Not exactly modern luxury --- ooopsss.

Here’s a pic of our IV we had on the last cruise.  I’m not sure there is room on the IV for a much bigger table.  Let’s hope Celebrity comes up with a solution.

21C74AFD-D53A-4FD4-B4BF-29F09A1F8BDC.jpeg

10 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I had read that too, but it just dawned on me that we could have her for the April TA?!

She had said she would be with the Equinox through her dry dock in May, but of course, things can change. Otherwise, I have no idea when she will be on board, guess I'll have to check her Instagram account and see if she has posted anything. 

I'm loving reading all this, but there has been nothing posted about the Magic Carpet, other than changes being made to one of the dinners. I want to know how this thing is, is it working as planned? 

5 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Does anybody know which part of the cruise planner to look for the cabanas? I'm not seeing it for my July Edge cruises. 

Marilyn - thank you SO much for everything!

Wendy

I found it under dining (had to click on the box labeled dining below).

Just now, kimlovesfl said:

She had said she would be with the Equinox through her dry dock in May, but of course, things can change. Otherwise, I have no idea when she will be on board, guess I'll have to check her Instagram account and see if she has posted anything. 

I'm loving reading all this, but there has been nothing posted about the Magic Carpet, other than changes being made to one of the dinners. I want to know how this thing is, is it working as planned? 

We've had drinks out there in the bar and have been on it as a platform for the tenders and all was good. I think it is working well overall, but wind is a huge issue for dining there so they are rethinking the dining concept a bit (and for Apex as well).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rhodgewald said:

Marilyn, thanks for all the wonderful cabana updates!  I have booked a half cabana as well, but there did not seem to be any way to choose a particular number.  I am not sure if I will keep the reservation or not depending up whether it can be used by only us or by others in our six person group.  Any idea if they only allow two people to use it at one time?  If so, can others in our group use it as long as there are only two people there?Just don't know if I would want to be there the entire 9 to 6 time, but know my mother-in-law and friends would probably love to take a turn if that is permissible.

We got there this AM and changed it because we were in 1 and 2 was available. It's actually quieter than I thought (thought there would be loud music and people at the pool). You can go through there when you get onboard and ask for a certain one (they are hanging out there to book them much of the time). I'm not sure about the numbers - my guess would be that they are flexible. They are so nice and attentive. Lazar told me that the people who book 1/2 cabanas get the same amenities (they don't halve them - yet, anyway).

38 minutes ago, FM said:

Looking forward to your full review of the Cabana !  Looks great so far.

Any photos of what the room service menu is like?  It seems so far that the flow to get around the ship is smooth - easy to get around if you have a transport chair or scooter?  How is the in-room TV 'entertainment'?  It's been at least five years since we've been on Celebrity (Silhouette) and having just cruised Disney exclusively the last few years, am eager to see how Celebrity has come along ... 

The menu is in the app. I can't find a paper copy. They don't want to give us paper anything. I'll ask if there is something printed. I can't even find the room service menu on the TV.

A Big Thank you to Marilyn and others who are adding information.  You are doing something very special for all of us...your voices are making the Edge better for the rest of us for sure❣️

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1