Ideas for Christmas Gift for Crew Members

cruzinfourfun

Pieces of paper with pictures of dead people and numbers.

they don’t have room for, nor need of trinkets. And some may not even celebrate Christmas.

perhaps on a Port day ask if there s anything they’d like you to bring them back.

but cash is King,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruzinfourfun said:

I am looking for some ideas, other than money, for crew members for Christmas gifts.  We want to give something to the waiters in a specialty restaurant.  Not expensive because it's about 20-22 people.

Other than money they might like pure gold. But they want and would very much appreciate money.

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Cash is king but what I noticed is that they have to pay (full price on board) for their toiletries, so cash and maybe toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, some advil/tylenol, a lotion?  

I can't fathom wanting to give a complete adult stranger a toothbrush and floss.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don't give them a Christmas gift, unless you know that they celebrate the holiday. If you want to give them a gift that is OK, just don't call it a Christmas gift, call it a holiday gift.

Twice when we arrived on board a ship for a Christmas (and New Year) cruise, we greeted our Butler and also our Steward with an envelope, and said, "This is for something special for your family for the holidays!"  In all cases, their faces lit up.  It wasn't a "tip"; it was a holiday gift.  (We tipped regularly, later.)

GC

• Like 1

So people who want to give little gifts have hearts in the right place but just consider... these staff members will do a number of sailings during the holiday period and they will interact with countless guests on each sailing. If even a small percentage want to mark the season by handing out little gifts or stockings filled with candy, etc... these staff members will end up with a small mountain of "nice gestures" and "good intentions" that they have zero space for in their cramped shared accommodations. Almost all of them are woking these crazy hours every day away from loved ones because its the one opportunity they have to make a living to support families in the predominantly poorer countries from which they come. So put some currency in a card and write something nice in the card and give it to them in a non-tipping time and place... don't use the "gift" as a proxy for any tip you would otherwise give. And, like other posters have said, get a stack of hero cards from reception and be generous with those as well.

• Like 4

While you might believe your intentions are good, you are actually being very selfish here. You are not thinking about the crew, but rather about yourself, and hoping to make yourself stand out, be remembered, and set yourself apart from other passengers, If your head and heart is in the right place, then you would give cash.  It's not about your need to feel special, but about their needs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

While you might believe your intentions are good, you are actually being very selfish here. You are not thinking about the crew, but rather about yourself, and hoping to make yourself stand out, be remembered, and set yourself apart from other passengers, If your head and heart is in the right place, then you would give cash.  It's not about your need to feel special, but about their needs.

Huh???????????????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Huh???????????????

I'm not sure where you are confused. Sometimes people give gifts because they are thinking about the recipient. Sometimes they give gifts because they hope to personally get something out of it. This is clearly the latter situation, and therefore it is self-centered behavior.

10 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

I'm not sure where you are confused. Sometimes people give gifts because they are thinking about the recipient. Sometimes they give gifts because they hope to personally get something out of it. This is clearly the latter situation, and therefore it is self-centered behavior.

Yep....you need to think of the recipients, and their needs.  Would you buy a blind person a book?  And, please, call it a holiday gift.  As a non-Christian and almost 70, I still get annoyed when people ask me if I put up my tree yet.  Don't presume everyone celebrates Christmas.

Do you remember the time, a few years back, when I posted said she wanted to give the steward a CD of her singing?  That's the gift every employee is hoping for....lol!