What ships seat you with others at dinner?

magpie9

Hello, I really like solo cruising. I can keep myself busy and like the quiet times. But the only time I do like a little company and conversation is over dinner. On my last cruise to Bermuda with NCL they repeatedly sat me on my own even though I asked for a share table. On Diamond Princess in Japan they put me on the same table every night with same people. It was good as we had things to talk about, such as a catch up of what we had done that day.

So what ships have you had good company over evening meals? And the attitude of the staff in dining rooms to solos. 

You  do  realize it depends on someone else,  at the same time and place,  wanting to share tables?    Most people-  including myself prefer to dine alone.   I find it too chancy just thinking an unknown random person, is going to have much in common.     I've had some "painful" shared dinner experiences,   (it's invites I get,  that are difficult to not accept) in the past,  that I now avoid them.  :)   

If you want "group"  dining,   then consider NCL -   go to the nightly meeting- posted in the daily.    Although usually early,   they do offer a group dining option.    Again depends on others,  wanting the same thing.     

The OP needs to ask for "Traditional" dining, not "Anytime". Most cruise lines offer it, although not NCL- their "freestyle" is notoriously singles-unfriendly, marketed towards groups who don't want to share.

The trade-off is a fixed dining time. But you can ask for a table change if it doesn't work out.

4 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

The OP needs to ask for "Traditional" dining, not "Anytime". Most cruise lines offer it, although not NCL- their "freestyle" is notoriously singles-unfriendly, marketed towards groups who don't want to share.

The trade-off is a fixed dining time. But you can ask for a table change if it doesn't work out.

Speaking as a solo who prefers to dine alone, I disagree with your comment that NCL "freestyle" is notoriously singles-unfriendly. I think it's GREAT!! I'm never pressured to share a table, and in ~50 nights of travel, they've only asked me about twice. Different strokes for different folks. 😉

On Princess, you can have the best of both worlds when you choose "Anytime" dining. You'll be asked if you wish to share a table pretty much every time you enter the dining room. On the nights you want to share, go for it. On the nights you don't, you sit alone. That has been my experience so far on the Caribbean, the Ruby, the Star, the Regal, and the Sapphire Princess. And I expect it'll be what happens this January when I board the Emerald.

If you opt for "Traditional" dining, you're either always sharing (with the same people) or always dining alone. That's why I stick with "Anytime" but I completely understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

The majority of my cruises have been with Disney and they seat you with others in the MDR.  As a solo cruiser I prefer to dine alone but I was willing to go with the flow, however after my first dinner I knew I didn't want to be around these negative people so I asked the head waiter to move me to a solo table and he did.  Ever since that bad experience I've always requested my own table and received it.

• Like 1

To me as a solo cruiser, dining with other's is one of the best things I enjoy on a cruise.  In that light, I must defend NCL, as they are by far, the most solo-friendly cruise line, with their hosted pre-dinner gatherings each night.  At the end of it, they invite all not  having other plans to join for a group dinner at one or two large tables they pre-reserve in one of the main dining rooms.

Always a pleasure!   Of course, you still have the option to go your own way, if you so choose....

On 11/26/2018 at 5:41 AM, Dancer Bob said:

NCL free style is the most singles friendly dining experience at sea, at least in my opinion. I can't imagine traveling solo (which I do often for peace and quiet) and wanting to share a table with a bunch of strangers. Nothing is more unappealing.

If you want to eat with a bunch of strangers always go on a line that offers traditional fixed dining times, and hope that they don't put you at a table alone, or with people who you have nothing in common with. Nothing worse than having to make small talk with strangers for hours over dinner.

I've never had a problem with getting through a meal with someone I didn't know on a cruise. Closest I've come to that was when an older woman who travels solo quite frequently asked if she could join my mother and I as a table for three? We were fine with that, and although by the end of the meal it was obvious that we had not particularly bonded, it was still a decent one-off experience. 

If I were to do a solo cruise, I would definitely not want to eat by myself. Sitting at a table for one with a book is fine at breakfast, but in the evening would seem quite lonely. On the other hand, I have a bit of concern that I would feel like, if not be seen as, a third wheel.

I am comfortable with community seating and meeting others or dining alone. I would prefer smaller group seating or just another person. Usually easy to find common ground.  I travel on RCL and no problems.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:40 AM, zqvol said:

NCL free style is the most singles friendly dining experience at sea, at least in my opinion. I can't imagine traveling solo (which I do often for peace and quiet) and wanting to share a table with a bunch of strangers. Nothing is more unappealing.

If you want to eat with a bunch of strangers always go on a line that offers traditional fixed dining times, and hope that they don't put you at a table alone, or with people who you have nothing in common with. Nothing worse than having to make small talk with strangers for hours over dinner.

I haven't done a solo cruise yet and I am very close to doing my first one.  I've read about NCL having the nightly meetings in the studio lounge and inviting those that want to dine together to sign up and they will get let them dine together.  What if I cruise on one of the NCL ships that doesn't have solo cabins and the studio lounge?  Does Norwegian have anything set up for solo cruisers to meet on those ships?

8 hours ago, Shadygap said:

I haven't done a solo cruise yet and I am very close to doing my first one.  I've read about NCL having the nightly meetings in the studio lounge and inviting those that want to dine together to sign up and they will get let them dine together.  What if I cruise on one of the NCL ships that doesn't have solo cabins and the studio lounge?  Does Norwegian have anything set up for solo cruisers to meet on those ships?

They have the solo get together every night. Even when there isa studio lounge they usually meet in one of the bars, instead of the lounge, at least that is how it works on the Getaway. No need to worry about no studio.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:53 AM, Croptop said:

On Princess, you can have the best of both worlds when you choose "Anytime" dining. You'll be asked if you wish to share a table pretty much every time you enter the dining room. On the nights you want to share, go for it. On the nights you don't, you sit alone. That has been my experience so far on the Caribbean, the Ruby, the Star, the Regal, and the Sapphire Princess. And I expect it'll be what happens this January when I board the Emerald.

If you opt for "Traditional" dining, you're either always sharing (with the same people) or always dining alone. That's why I stick with "Anytime" but I completely understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

I agree with Croptop. I enjoy the Anytime Dining experience on Princess. One of the reasons I continue to consider them when booking a cruise. 

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, Shadygap said:

Just so you are clear, NCL has studio cabins that accommodate one person, they do not have "solo cabins". What they do offer is a regular cabin to a solo cruiser without charging you for two in the cabin, sometimes. I prefer the regular cabin without the solo supplement over the studio, which is usually more expensive. So, even ships w/o studio cabins may have solo cruisers.

Edited by bones774

Since I had to start cruising solo, due to the death of my partner, both Celebrity and Viking asked me the first evening in MDR if I'd like to be seated alone or a table of 6-8. Alway picked larger table and have had wonderful fellow passengers to share the evening meal with, each time.

Personally, I prefer traditional dining (late seating) and always request to be seated at a larger table (6-8) when booking. I like having the same wait staff for the duration of the cruise, and have nearly always ended up with nice people to talk with about what we saw that day, and what we were all going to do the next day. Only one time, on a Hurtigruten cruise, did I end up at a table with unfriendly people, and when I requested a table change after the first night, I was again accommodated, and shared a dinner table for the rest of the cruise with some very nice people.

Even when going to the main DR for open seating breakfast and lunch (which I prefer; buffets are difficult for me due to a minor disability I have) I ask to be seated with other people, and rarely is this not accommodated.

There is no "right" way to do this. Just decide what your expectations and preferences are and make your booking with these issue in mind.

Edited by Splinter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I travel solo as I am a widower. Sail with Costa, NCL and HAL and always select open seating. Every time I am asked whether I want to sit alone or join a larger table. Join other larger tables all the time, meet lots of interesting folks. And on the longer cruises on the smaller ships you run into the same people often. 

If i want to sit alone or in a hurry I go to the Lido or buffet.

Things have changed over the years, I used to have a great time cruising but my last cruise left me shell shocked and swearing never to cruise again.  I am wavering on that a bit now but  extremely cautious as I would not like to subject myself to another 4 or 14 days of the same ever again. I am interested in others experiences and recommendations.

Cruising (in Australia at least) seems to have an older demographic compared to years back, but I discovered on my last 14 day cruise that also the longer the cruise the older the pax as they have more time to spare or can book at last moment at giveaway fares!!! 46% were over 60, 21% over 70, ave age 51, only 22% under 45. I am in my late 50's, but never married or with kids so still young at heart and have most in common with those in late 30's to mid 40's. (Not true to age). That is not to say I haven't had an enjoyable conversation with a 75 year old, but not who I would prefer for company.

I have cruised about 6-7 times (all P&O), my last and most disastrous was 2 years ago, 12 years after my previous  cruise - which was due to the cruise lines no longer taking solo  pax bookings to match with other solos in a shared cabin/All cruises but one very short 3 day cruise  has been as a solo and I have never had a problem with room mates, and in 50% of cases we have hung out together to an extent. Great way to get automatic company/form friendships.

I used to always book an 8 seat dinner table for the later sitting, to increase my exposure to other pax and my chances of forming friendships with a bigger table. In some cases this was all singles or a few friends travelling together, other times a mixture of singles and young couples. Dinner time was often the highlite of the day, we had so much fun. Breakfast and lunch there was no set table to sit at,  were directed to a table with others who arrived at around the same time and would be served at the same time. This was hit and miss but at least you were always sitting with others.

Going back 2 cruises ago (14 years) I was sat at a dinner  table for 8 but with only 2 female friends - just the 3 of us as the others had made alternative arrangements. We had nothing in common so asked to be relocated the next night. I was put with an extended family of 3 generations, I was the 8th wheel which was not what I was looking for either, but nice people.

However on the last cruise there was no set dinner sitting, open sitting. This means most people turned up with those  they intended to dine with. Most nights I would hang around at the door waiting for others I might join, but very few solos other than oldies turned up. I waited for 90 minutes one night, and other nights almost as long, in most cases giving up and eating alone. I can't understand how people would prefer to eat alone. One night I was put at a table with a PIA woman and father, but once they left the other couple were good company.  However, still better than eating alone with no one to talk to, and feeling like a leper. I live alone so am used to this, but enjoy going to dinner with friends and having a good chat over a long dinner rather than in and out in 1/3 the time. 

It seems that while trying to be more flexible and personal, the cruise lines have made it very difficult for people like myself who enjoyed set dinner tables and guarantee to some extent of having company of a similar?? age. (Age is only a starting point for good company) not a guarantee. 

Sorry for the long cut your wrist post, but perhaps some people might be able to relate to my experiences and offer suggestions. Whilst I would be hesitant to cruise in Australia again within the next decade. I may consider cruising from the US, to Bahamas or Caribbean  etc. Are the US cruises any different, a younger crowd. I am not a 5 star, fine dining,  top price, snotty person, but very down to earth easy going and casual looking for good value is more my style. (And the type of person I want to meet).  I would be interested in peoples recommendations or experiences based on the "book above" 😉.  Cruise lines, destinations, time of year? I would really appreciate  your input