British Isles cruise in June--smooth cruise?

KKB

We are sailing the Crown Princess this June.

We have booked a middle interior cabin, deck 6; but I have discovered an aft interior cabin on 14 that is right next to a door that opens to a small deck overlooking a small aft pool, also just a deck down from the buffet. Sort of like a balcony without the price. (and not quite as private)

Not worried about buffet noise; we will be up early on this port intensive cruise. (and buffet is not actually directly over us; the "mini-buffet" is--one with random hours)

We both have over a dozen cruises under our belt, all North American destinations. Neither of us have worn a sea sickness patch in years, tho storm/incredibly rough seas have put both of us in bed once.

I am assuming since the ship does not need to go far, nor quickly & not storm season, that the seas should be pretty smooth. (making the decision to book a high aft cabin fine)

Am I correct?

Edited by KKB

Well, considering only 10 extratropical storms have hit the British Isles (w/in 200 miles) from 1851-2010, I'm willing to gamble & say the odds are that we will NOT encounter a tropical storm/hurricane. And nearly all storms occur later in the hurricane season. 

Well aware no one can predict Mother Nature. Having cruised the Caribbean a dozen times, I would say overall it is a smooth cruise. That being said, one NYE I was in bed all day due to rough seas (funny, our hurricane season cruises never had anything of the sort!). 1/80 days at sea. I would still tell people that MORE THAN LIKELY seas will be smooth. 

Looking for the MOST LIKELY scenario.

If you want to start a conversation with one of us Brits, just say "nice/awful/wet/hot weather we're having" and you will talk for hours. That's because we get anything, anytime. I've known Christmas Day when it has been shirt sleeve weather (and its supposed to be cold). I used to travel to Europe and back by ferry every week for 2 years. Only bad storm, when we were cruising up and down outside Dover harbour for 5 hours, was in June. You just never know. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst!

Happy Cruising!!:classic_biggrin:

Simon

41 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

If you want to start a conversation with one of us Brits, just say "nice/awful/wet/hot weather we're having" and you will talk for hours. That's because we get anything, anytime. I've known Christmas Day when it has been shirt sleeve weather (and its supposed to be cold). I used to travel to Europe and back by ferry every week for 2 years. Only bad storm, when we were cruising up and down outside Dover harbour for 5 hours, was in June. You just never know. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst!

Happy Cruising!!:classic_biggrin:

Simon

LOL but the other responses were an American & a Canadian 😂

16 hours ago, KKB said:

Am I correct?

12 hours ago, KKB said:

But play the odds ...

This Brit would suggest you buy a lottery ticket. You don't need to encounter a hurricane or even a tropical storm to get really rough seas around the British Isles.

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This Brit would suggest you buy a lottery ticket. You don't need to encounter a hurricane or even a tropical storm to get really rough seas around the British Isles.

Hmm...wouldn't have expected that.

Guess now I just need to determine if it really matters...we are in port most days. If I'm sleeping it doesn't matter...

Thanks!

As most of the prevalent weather for Irish Sea, Lundy, Fastnet sea areas originates in N. American waters you really cannot disregard them!  Apart of course when it originates in Greenland/Iceland or Siberia/Mid Europe.   Mixed batch?  You bet!

• 1 month later...

We sailed the British Isles with Princess last year, June 30-July 12.  smooth seas,warm and very dry... not one drop of rain.  However as others have said weather could be a toss up which is why we went prepared for potential rain.

I looked at the deck plans for the Crown and it seems that most of the AFT interior rooms on deck 14 are under the buffet prep areas and kitchen which I would avoid as there would be work starting there early and cleaning late at night.

Edited by anthonyy7
  • Thanks 1

As others have posted, the most reliable advice is that the weather is unreliable.

If you give me your precise date around Southampton I'll do my best to help you by not washing the car the day before or organising a BBQ for that evening.

But overall it's a good time to visit the UK. The Ditch,  the Irish Sea and the North Sea are normally benign at that time of year, and around the north of Scotland it's at least more likely than not that it'll be OK.

The weather (as opposed to the sea-state) doesn't just vary day-by-day - you can have a filthy morning and a gorgeous afternoon :classic_smile:. Or vice-versa :classic_sad:

We had an aft-facing cabin on a RCI Voyager-class ship crossing the Bay of Biscay one time when it was in a bad mood. Not troubled by it at all - I could never understand the logic but the stern moves a lot less than the bow.

Can't see that the cabin will be "sort of like a balcony but without the price" unless you take a blow-torch and angle-grinder.

But handy to the little stern pool area (so much more relaxing than the main deck), bar & food.

Me - I'd go for it. 

JB :classic_smile:

PS to Simon.

Remember, you owe me a camel.

When we get back from the land down-under I'll send you that kangaroo by UPS. You can then use the same box to send me the camel

• Haha 2

It’s all luck of the draw. We went in early July ;ast year, and our weather could not have been better. We had very calm seas, warm weather, and abundant sunshine. We could go back the same dates this year and get something completely different. The weather there is very unpredictable.

39 minutes ago, Cindy said:

It’s all luck of the draw. We went in early July ;ast year, and our weather could not have been better. We had very calm seas, warm weather, and abundant sunshine. We could go back the same dates this year and get something completely different. The weather there is very unpredictable.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Cindy

JB :classic_smile:

ps to Simon. It'll have to be a mongoose then, Simon - curried elephant tastes awful

• 2 months later...

We are booked in Riviera aft interior cabins on Crown, about four back from the aft pool door.  So Crafter188, you haven't noticed any noise issues from the buffet above? Any info appreciated.  It seems like a good location for interiors but I am a light sleeper.

17 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We are booked in Riviera aft interior cabins on Crown, about four back from the aft pool door.  So Crafter188, you haven't noticed any noise issues from the buffet above? Any info appreciated.  It seems like a good location for interiors but I am a light sleeper.

Surprisingly no, no noise. Maybe we heard something like a chair scrape once! We have been two or three doors forward from that back door on two cruises now. I think the bar area is directly above, so, while there may be someone standing there, there isn’t the same kind of dining room noise that you’d expect elsewhere. I am a light sleeper too and always bring earplugs but don’t remember needing them (unless DH was snoring)! Of course this itinerary is so port intensive that we’ll be up and out almost every day anyway.

Have a great trip!

Cheryl

• Thanks 1