Tour Options from Phy My Port Besides Ho Chi Minh City

gatec1008

One of the stops for our Southeast Asia cruise is Phu My.  Besides Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon), does anyone have suggestions on other places to visit?  HCMC is about 2-hours from Phu My and it's a very busy city.  We've looked at HCMC tours and most of them stops at temples, President's palace, war museum, and etc.  We also checked out some YouTube videos of HCMS top places to visit but nothing really stood out.

We would prefer to see some unique sites closer to port, if possible.  Otherwise, we might just stay on the ship 🤔

Vung Tau.

If your cruise line has free shuttles to Ba Ria you can catch that (30 mins) and then either take a taxi or private tour to Vung Tau (about another 25 mins away).

You can even take a local bus from Ba Ria to Vung Tau.

Quite an experience; but I don't recommend it unless you have a fair bit of time on your hands.

BTW: The last 2 times I have gone to Saigon from Phu My the bus ride has been 75 mins.

I did "Saigon on your own" tour which is transport only and gave between 4:30 - 5 hrs in Saigon.

I find the main sights walkable, Palace, Cathedral, War Remnants Museum, Post Office, Rex Hotel; but others may find the traffic & heat a bit too much.

Edited by Tranquility Base

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 2:43 AM, Tranquility Base said:

Vung Tau.

If your cruise line has free shuttles to Ba Ria you can catch that (30 mins) and then either take a taxi or private tour to Vung Tau (about another 25 mins away).

You can even take a local bus from Ba Ria to Vung Tau.

Quite an experience; but I don't recommend it unless you have a fair bit of time on your hands.

BTW: The last 2 times I have gone to Saigon from Phu My the bus ride has been 75 mins.

I did "Saigon on your own" tour which is transport only and gave between 4:30 - 5 hrs in Saigon.

I find the main sights walkable, Palace, Cathedral, War Remnants Museum, Post Office, Rex Hotel; but others may find the traffic & heat a bit too much.

Would there be any shopping opportunities on the 'Saigon on your own tour' ?

Would like to do a little sight seeing, but need a shopping fix too.

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Would there be any shopping opportunities on the 'Saigon on your own tour' ?

Would like to do a little sight seeing, but need a shopping fix too.

Sure....shopping everywhere.

The only limit is being back to the bus on time.

That's why walking is great, as you never know what's around the next corner.

The most popular market for such a short time in Saigon would be Ben Thanh Market which is walkable from the Rex Hotel area.

If haggling is not your forte they have a smaller fixed price section on one side of the market.

The other popular one is Binh Tay Market in Chinatown. This would require a taxi.

Edited by Tranquility Base