RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

6 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Well at exactly 30 days out I was assigned my suite GTY which did stay a JS. I also received yet another Royal Up email on the same day (this makes 3 since I booked 25 days ago) and prices have not changed at all:

Aqua Theatre - 1 Bedroom = $700/pp

Crown Loft Suite  = $600/pp

Owners Suite = $600/pp

Grand Suite = $300/pp

I'll admit, this close to sailing it's tempting to bid the min on a GS if only for the Sky Suite perks but not sure it's really worth an additional $600 in reality. 

Sky class is worth the $300 bid per person to us.  You would each get free internet, Coastal Kitchen for each meal, luggage valet if your ship has it, priority embark/disembark.  If you are sailing Oasis class, beer and wine 11-11 in suite lounge.  We would bid at least on a GS.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Sky class is worth the $300 bid per person to us.  You would each get free internet, Coastal Kitchen for each meal, luggage valet if your ship has it, priority embark/disembark.  If you are sailing Oasis class, beer and wine 11-11 in suite lounge.  We would bid at least on a GS.

I handle the vacation bookings for our family so I'm a little more on the conservative side -- DH just walked in and I told him we received our room assignment. He then asked if we were upgraded (last time we did a GTY we received a GS) so I explained the Royal Up program, he told me to bid on the GS so we will see. I guess I don't have an issue spending when someone tells me it's ok, HAH 😉

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just goes to show you, if you find a stateroom that you really want, secure it, pay for so you know it is yours.  You will be happy and end saving money in the long run.  This Royal Up sounds like the biggest scam yet.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barbary27 said:

Just goes to show you, if you find a stateroom that you really want, secure it, pay for so you know it is yours.  You will be happy and end saving money in the long run.  This Royal Up sounds like the biggest scam yet.

It wasn't for me. It allowed us to have a room we would not have otherwise booked. 

• Like 3

I don’t see it being a scam. Counting on it being available and you winning wouldn’t be wise if you needed more space. For us, we are more than fine with the room we have. If we do win with a bid that is cheaper than what it would be if we booked the bigger room, then that would equally be awesome. 

• Like 2

We have received several RoyalUp emails for each leg of our B2B on the Liberty.

The offers were for $100 pp and up.  The $100 was for a upgrade (bid) from our balcony to a spacious balcony.  The others were for JS, GS-1br,GS-2br.  We opted to not bid since our B2B is in the same room and we did not want to risk the room change on out first B2B experience.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

We have received several RoyalUp emails for each leg of our B2B on the Liberty.

The offers were for $100 pp and up.  The $100 was for a upgrade (bid) from our balcony to a spacious balcony.  The others were for JS, GS-1br,GS-2br.  We opted to not bid since our B2B is in the same room and we did not want to risk the room change on out first B2B experience.

I agree with you.   Royal makes the room change very painless, but one advantage of a cruise over a land tour is the ability to settle into a room and not have to move until its time to go home. 

1 minute ago, Bee Guy said:

I agree with you.   Royal makes the room change very painless, but one advantage of a cruise over a land tour is the ability to settle into a room and not have to move until its time to go home. 

Thanks for agreeing.  I am also considering the fact that I will only have to harass my son (25-yo teenager) to pack at the end of the 2nd leg instead of each leg!  It will help to extend my restful vacation to 13 days before the hassle (instead of 6 days, day of hassle, 6 days , day of hassle)

So i bid on three state rooms for my cruise in the 7day western cruise i put max bid on all of them and just finally got a reply the night before my cruise which is tmw so you will not know till right before also all my bids were declined. Makes sense though it’s over UCF spring break so I’m sure the cruise was completely sold out. Oh well maybe next time 

12 hours ago, Aybeachbabe said:

So i bid on three state rooms for my cruise in the 7day western cruise i put max bid on all of them 

Welcome to CC.

If you do that in the future, check the prices to upgrade yourself  (compare with other similar sailings if one is not available for yours) - sometimes the max bid is more than the self upgrade price.

I received a RoyalUo offer where one of the rooms is labeled as the Panoramic Suite (no balcony).  I was thinking of making a bid but the description did not make sense.  I called and the person on the phone gave me a stateroom number that was not one of the two (1804 and 1856 (not sure if the second one is correct) on mariner if the seas that I expected it to be.  I am afraid to bid and get a room that is not comfortable for four people.  Has anyone won a bid on the Panoramic Suite (no balcony) that can confirm a stateroom?  Has anyone had an issue where the name in the email did match the room they won? 

18 hours ago, tanner1907 said:

I received a RoyalUo offer where one of the rooms is labeled as the Panoramic Suite (no balcony).  I was thinking of making a bid but the description did not make sense.  I called and the person on the phone gave me a stateroom number that was not one of the two (1804 and 1856 (not sure if the second one is correct) on mariner if the seas that I expected it to be.  I am afraid to bid and get a room that is not comfortable for four people.  Has anyone won a bid on the Panoramic Suite (no balcony) that can confirm a stateroom?  Has anyone had an issue where the name in the email did match the room they won? 

Here is RCCLs description of this room...

Ocean View Panoramic Suite (No Balcony)

Two twin beds that convert to Royal King. Curtained section with bunk beds. Living area with double sofa bed, vanity and sitting area. One and a half baths with shower. Floor to ceiling wrap around panoramic windows.
Stateroom: 406 sq. ft.

1 hour ago, cnice515 said:

Here is RCCLs description of this room...

Ocean View Panoramic Suite (No Balcony)

Two twin beds that convert to Royal King. Curtained section with bunk beds. Living area with double sofa bed, vanity and sitting area. One and a half baths with shower. Floor to ceiling wrap around panoramic windows.
Stateroom: 406 sq. ft.

This IS the description of the Oceanview panoramic suite (no balcony), but it is only rooms 1804 and 1854. If they gave you a different room number, I'm guessing it is actually a regular panoramic ocean view room  (1L) . I would be very wary- the descriptions and photos on RoyalUp are often misleading. For example, the picture for a spacious oceanview balcony is actually of a junior suite. Unless they can specifically state that you are bidding on stateroom 1804 or 1854, I would not place a bid hoping for the suite.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, tennislvr8 said:

It wasn't for me. It allowed us to have a room we would not have otherwise booked. 

I understand where you are coming from, my complaint is that I purchased my suite, Royal Suite 15 months ago and in Nov. of 2018 is when the Royal-Up program was started and my suite was part of the bid up program???

8 minutes ago, Barbary27 said:

I understand where you are coming from, my complaint is that I purchased my suite, Royal Suite 15 months ago and in Nov. of 2018 is when the Royal-Up program was started and my suite was part of the bid up program???

Your exact suite was part of the royal up program or a suite similar to yours? 

26 minutes ago, Barbary27 said:

They are allowing bids should you happen to have to cancel they would have someone waiting in the wings for your cabin

I believe the goal of the RoyalUp program is to make sure that there are no empty rooms especially on the upper levels of the ship.  We received the opportunity to bid on a GS ,OS and RS 30 days out and the booking website showed that none of these rooms were available.  We examined  the deck plans and were happy with the location of all of the rooms.  Because we were in a Junior Suite which did not include access to the concierge lounge and free adult beverages during happy hour.  We determined that the extra room and perks were worth a total bid of $500 for a week cruise.  That turned out to be the strongest bid allowed for the room.  We bid the strongest.  We waited and expected not to have our bid accepted. Forty-eight hours before embarking we learned that we received the upgrade.  It was clear someone had canceled since there was a minute or two of confusion when checking in.  The room was beyond wonderful and because of our upgrade we had a minimal bar bill.  Win win.

• Like 4

My bidding strategy was to go one tick above the minimum, figuring that others would bid the exact minimum. I think all that matters is the overall price of the cruise and where that hits you in terms of your own personal value. My cruise went from $508 for an inside cabin to $648 for a balcony cabin. I'm good with that, in no way feel ripped off or manipulated. It's far less than they were offered for directly. In the end, others booked with an inside GTY might end up with a balcony without paying for it but I like being able to sure things up ahead of time.

1 hour ago, MedicMariner said:

This IS the description of the Oceanview panoramic suite (no balcony), but it is only rooms 1804 and 1854. If they gave you a different room number, I'm guessing it is actually a regular panoramic ocean view room  (1L) . I would be very wary- the descriptions and photos on RoyalUp are often misleading. For example, the picture for a spacious oceanview balcony is actually of a junior suite. Unless they can specifically state that you are bidding on stateroom 1804 or 1854, I would not place a bid hoping for the suite.

Yeah, I am waiting on an answer from RCCL, and will probably call again, before I decide to make a bid.  The name and description don’t match since it never mentions the bunk beds or the extra half bath in the email or upgrade site.  

On 3/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, tennislvr8 said:

Your exact suite was part of the royal up program or a suite similar to yours? 

NO this was for the Royal Suite on the Grandeur for March 28th sailing. There is only one royal suite on the Grandeur.  ChristyS put a bid in on it , she did not see it listed as available but it was listed on the bid.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:39 PM, josh.vincent.180 said:

On Freedom at end of April and got a Royal Up email.

Wife and I are in Jr Suite and the min bids are

1 Bed Grand $250 per person

2 Bed Grand $300 per person

Owners Suite is $350 per person 

is any of them worth upgrading for, I didn’t see any that jumped out to me to bid

The 2 br Grand is aft and has an amazing balcony. it does have the superstructure in place, but we enjoyed the heck out of it. The living room is giant and there is a ton of storage. i would take it in a heartbeat. We actually have it booked for later in the summer. ALSO- there is PRIVACY in the 2 br suite. the second bedroom has a real door as does the master- well, sliders with a curtain; not just a curtain hanging from the ceiling. We have stayed in  7 or 8 of the 2 br suites on royal and the aft is our favorite.

A great suite! 

Not fancy, but great

2 hours ago, Barbary27 said:

NO this was for the Royal Suite on the Grandeur for March 28th sailing. There is only one royal suite on the Grandeur.  ChristyS put a bid in on it , she did not see it listed as available but it was listed on the bid.

I think it is a por strategy to allow this. If you go to an auction and something is no longer available you don’t bid on it. I asssumed someone had cancelled after final pay,ent so it was available. I feel terrible   Very strange wish there only being one suite like this on the whole ship. 

44 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

I think it is a poor strategy to allow this. If you go to an auction and something is no longer available you don’t bid on it. I assumed someone had cancelled after final pay,ent so it was available. I feel terrible   Very strange wish there only being one suite like this on the whole ship. 

It's the only Royal Suite on the Grandeur.   All I want is an answer from upper management as to how something like this could happen.  Let's get together and have some drinks I will share a tour of the suite with you.  2 weeks to go.  Can't wait.