RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Very interesting as we were bombarded with emails to take part in the NCL upgrade program before our recent Epic sailing. Even as late as 7 days prior to sailing.

You had to receive the 'invite' to be able to bid (actually it was available on your 'cruise planner' not just by email) and were allowed to bid for up to 2 categories higher than your currently booked cabin.

We didn't participate because the only cabins available for upgrade from our balcony were 'mini-suites' and suites in the Haven and the 'dial' indicating whether a potential bid was a good one, didn't turn 'green' unless we bid at least $350 pp. 

You didn't get any additional promotions that may have been available for the cabin when purchased at full fare. You would not be guaranteed a particular cabin number. If your bid was successful your form of payment would be charged immediately before you are notified of your success in the bid and the amount paid is final and non-refundable.

I can't post a link because I believe its frowned upon or wont work with this particular website but RCI is gonna start an upgrade bidding process. I actually like this myself. I look at it like hey I booked a cabin or cabin category I like and live with so I'll just bid a bit on a better category, and chances are I won't win the bid but maybe I do a get a better cabin. Like we always book a balcony but hey I'll put down 250 per person for an upgrade to a Junior suite and if it happens it happens, if it doesn't oh well, we tried. I like this a lot actually. Its worth the try in my eyes.

• Thanks 1

Oops I just started a thread on this topic before I saw this. I'll just post what I started in my other thread.

I can't post a link because I believe its frowned upon or wont work with this particular website but RCI is gonna start an upgrade bidding process. I actually like this myself. I look at it like hey I booked a cabin or cabin category I like and live with so I'll just bid a bit on a better category, and chances are I won't win the bid but maybe I do a get a better cabin. Like we always book a balcony but hey I'll put down 250 per person for an upgrade to a Junior suite and if it happens it happens, if it doesn't oh well, we tried. I like this a lot actually. Its worth the try in my eyes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If two bids are equal, will C&A points break the tie?

Does current cabin category impact the bid?

Does price paid Ft or original cabin impact the bid?

Are they using actual categories or GTY categories?

Will people in full price suites turn their nose up at 'Bid People'? 😉

I was hoping it would be live bidding like eBay. 

If it's anything like NCL's it's shrouded in mystery and can make no sense. Over on the NCL boards there's running threads where people will post their sailing and bids. No one can make sense of how bids are chosen even on the same sailing. And on the same sailing there's people who have their bid accepted right away vs others that only find out at the last possible second. 

1 minute ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, if I bid to change from a balcony to a sky or star class suite, do I get the benefits of the suite (free internet, drink package, meal package, Coastal Kitchen, priority debarkation, etc.)?  I guess the devil will be in the details...

You get whatever perks are associated with the stateroom to which you are finally assigned.

So, if I bid to change from a balcony to a sky or star class suite, do I get the benefits of the suite (free internet, drink package, meal package, Coastal Kitchen, priority debarkation, etc.)?  I guess the devil will be in the details...

Good questions, but I would think you would get those perks.

I'm glad to see Royal Caribbean adding a bidding system.  Currently, the only options for getting an upsell are either pay the full going rate for a room, or hope you receive a call from the upsell department and successfully answer it.  The bidding system adds a greater sense of control by allowing you to offer as much as you feel comfortable paying on a greater variety of categories.  I've had success with it in the past on NCL and look foward to trying my luck with RCI.

• Like 1

I thought that under the "old" program, if you previously paid for an upgrade to a junior suite at less than full rate that you didn't get double points...

You are correct, and my answer above assumed you were asking about onboard perks, not C&A points.  My guess would be that nothing will change (you won't get extra points for a suite) with regard to C&A points in the case of a reduced cost upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You are correct, and my answer above assumed you were asking about onboard perks, not C&A points.  My guess would be that nothing will change (you won't get extra points for a suite) with regard to C&A points in the case of a reduced cost upgrade.

Q. If my RoyalUp offer is accepted, will I earn Crown & Anchor points at the rate associated with my upgraded stateroom category?
A. No. Accepted offers will earn CAS points at the original stateroom category purchased, and not the category of the upgraded stateroom. The terms and conditions of your original cruise booking will remain in effect following the acceptance of an Offer, including Crown & Anchor Terms and Conditions. The best way for you to earn points quickly is to purchase the upgraded cabin category in their original booking.

Another possibility is it depends on your current room.  

For example, if two bids to a Royal Suite are equal, the more sought after and more expensive your current room is, the better your chance is.   

Edited by molole

54 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

No one can make sense of how bids are chosen even on the same sailing. And on the same sailing there's people who have their bid accepted right away vs others that only find out at the last possible second. 

About the same as when you book a GTY rate - except in this case you can't even move cabins after assignment (tho I have a feeling that will have plenty of exceptions).

Edited by Biker19

38 minutes ago, little britain said:
Q. If my RoyalUp offer is accepted, will I earn Crown & Anchor points at the rate associated with my upgraded stateroom category?
A. No. Accepted offers will earn CAS points at the original stateroom category purchased, and not the category of the upgraded stateroom. The terms and conditions of your original cruise booking will remain in effect following the acceptance of an Offer, including Crown & Anchor Terms and Conditions. The best way for you to earn points quickly is to purchase the upgraded cabin category in their original booking.

Well I don't like that, that is actually complete BS in my opinion. You should get whatever is associated with the category you just won in a fair bidding process. In the end you paid extra for a better category room, and RCI will then sell your old cabin. I like this  idea but this part is BS

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Imagine the amount of last minute scrambling when we find out that we are being upgraded 2 days before the cruise. All the perks that were pre-purchased via the cruise planner will need to be cancelled, restaurants reservations re-booked (possibly), etc.

Heck, we may even want to pack more luggage (more closet space=more stuff to bring). Which would not be an option for us since we usually have a 2-3 day pre-cruise vacation as well whenever we fly to a port.

5 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Well I don't like that, that is actually complete BS in my opinion. You should get whatever is associated with the category you just won in a fair bidding process. In the end you paid extra for a better category room, and RCI will then sell your old cabin. I like this  idea but this part is BS

This like any other other reduced cost upsell (except RCI can lay off the staff who make the upsell calls), for which you don't get extra points.

Edited by Biker19

43 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Imagine the amount of last minute scrambling when we find out that we are being upgraded 2 days before the cruise. All the perks that were pre-purchased via the cruise planner will need to be cancelled, restaurants reservations re-booked (possibly), etc.

Heck, we may even want to pack more luggage (more closet space=more stuff to bring). Which would not be an option for us since we usually have a 2-3 day pre-cruise vacation as well whenever we fly to a port.

Well, if you end up with STAR you dont need to book anything other than comedy.. 

You should get your pkg refunded as well