RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

3 hours ago, stompy said:

They have to opt in to the marketing email section in order to participate and many who have opted out aren't eligible for the RoyalUP program.

I understand that, but not sure how that impacts whether or not your travel agent has decided to participate 

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, timf2001 said:

Does the new procedure still allow your TA to prevent you from bidding (i.e. big box store)?

I have received several Royal Ups for bookings with my TA.  Have also received them on comped sailings.  Only one was successful - from junior suite to owner's suite.

Has anyone bid a RoyalUp on a (formerly) Cuba cruise? Booked on 7/3 Majesty sailing and bestie and I didn’t want to pay for a suite at the time of booking, even though it’s the only way to get a balcony. Now wondering if the itinerary changes have worked in anyone’s favor and hoping there’s a greater chance of success for our modest bid. 

10 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Has anyone bid a RoyalUp on a (formerly) Cuba cruise? Booked on 7/3 Majesty sailing and bestie and I didn’t want to pay for a suite at the time of booking, even though it’s the only way to get a balcony. Now wondering if the itinerary changes have worked in anyone’s favor and hoping there’s a greater chance of success for our modest bid. 

Yes, I got a Royal Up offer on my Majesty Cuba cruise.  I cancelled when the itinerary was changed.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, A3hourtour said:

Just wondering if anyone has used the Royal Up bidding system yet?  Do you know if they're still doing the traditional call and offer upgrades at a discounted price?

They seem to  be pretty determine to only upgrade via the royal up program. I received 3 offers for my cruise with the last offer only a few days before sailing. I doubt they are discounting anymore.

Edited by Iamcruzin

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

They seem to  be pretty determine to only upgrade via the royal up program. I received 3 offers for my cruise with the last offer only a few days before sailing.

What ship and sailing? How did the offers work? From your post I gather they came on separate dates. Did you make a bid that was accepted and then they offered you the opportunity to bid on additional upgrades? Or did you reject the first offer yet they continued to send you more? 

8 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

What ship and sailing? How did the offers work? From your post I gather they came on separate dates. Did you make a bid that was accepted and then they offered you the opportunity to bid on additional upgrades? Or did you reject the first offer yet they continued to send you more? 

I was on the 9 day Anthem last week 6/6 -6/15.  I never bid on any offer. It was the same offers emailed on different dates. I kept track of the prices for a JS and deluxe balcony when I booked 16 months out.  Even the lowest bid was the same price or higher than it was at the time of booking. It would have been more beneficial to have booked those categories at the time of booking because I would have received more on board credit at the time of booking through my TA and Royal Caribbean.  They are banking on the fact that people don't pay attention and are only comparing the price to the current price at the time of the Royal up offer. Also I was happy with my cabin selection and I wouldn't want to risk being placed in an undesirable  location.

Edited by Iamcruzin

34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was on the 9 day Anthem last week 6/6 -6/15.  I never bid on any offer. It was the same offers emailed on different dates. I kept track of the prices for a JS and deluxe balcony when I booked 16 months out.  Even the lowest bid was the same price or higher than it was at the time of booking. It would have been more beneficial to have booked those categories at the time of booking because I would have received more on board credit at the time of booking through my TA and Royal Caribbean.  They are banking on the fact that people don't pay attention and are only comparing the price to the current price at the time of the Royal up offer. Also I was happy with my cabin selection and I wouldn't want to risk being placed in an undesirable  location.

Thanks for your response. I booked relatively late ( 10 days ago) for 8/24 on symphony. The price to upfront JS to grand suite has remained constant, and too high for me. Hoping for a chance to bid at a lower price but will certainly be ok staying in the JS if it doesn’t work out

55 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thanks for your response. I booked relatively late ( 10 days ago) for 8/24 on symphony. The price to upfront JS to grand suite has remained constant, and too high for me. Hoping for a chance to bid at a lower price but will certainly be ok staying in the JS if it doesn’t work out

Just keep a record of what it would cost for the grand suite if you were to book now so you know how much to bid.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Kinda hard for folks to bid on an inside cabin Royal Up offer.

Discounting inside cabin for someone who hasn't booked yet isn't the same topic as discounting a higher category cabin for someone who wants to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Discounting inside cabin for someone who hasn't booked yet isn't the same topic as discounting a higher category cabin for someone who wants to upgrade.

Discounting happens because the cabins aren't selling and it's not limited to insides. Seems to me that Royal Up is for closer in sales and one way RCI has figured out how to get around their commitment of not heavily discounting inside 30 days.

We are sailing on Adventure on 6/28.  We have a GTY inside booked and did a bid for a promenade room.  I was just wondering if we will hear before we get to the port or is it likely they will assign us at the port?  Never did a GTY or RoyalUp, so not sure what to expect.  I know I have read about people getting GTY rooms assigned early, but more recently it seems to be much closer to cruising.  Our ship is sold out if that makes a difference?

RoyalUP is fairly new, less than a full cruise season. Across seasonal variations in peak versus off-peak demand there isn't enough data to prove it one way or another.  It's easy to suggest (and believe) it has changed the game but scientifically we don't know... yet.