Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John&LaLa

RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

Recommended Posts

 As I expected this whole thing  is BS! 😒

With all my cruises - it would be most cost efficient to buy the upgrade regularly!

When bidding the highest amount.... even if you're bidding with the lowest amount - it is still about the same as outright buying the upgrade! 😮

 

Another way RCI is scamming it's passengers! 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are sailing on the Harmony 12/9 and received an email today to bid for an upgrade.

We are booked with a travel agent. Originally booked in a GS then last month we were able to upgrade to an OS for no additional cost due a price drop.  Here is what RCI is "offering" for Star class bids:

A2- 500.00 pp

TL-1300.00pp

VS-2100.00pp

Question is, If we were to bid the minimum of 500.00pp for the A2 and its accepted, do you think I would I lose OBC from RCI and my TA? We have 700 total in OBC currently along with prepaid gratuities. I am pretty thrilled with what we have and feel like I may be pushing my luck with this bid thing. Your thoughts are appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tangled1010 said:

We are sailing on the Harmony 12/9 and received an email today to bid for an upgrade.

We are booked with a travel agent. Originally booked in a GS then last month we were able to upgrade to an OS for no additional cost due a price drop.  Here is what RCI is "offering" for Star class bids:

A2- 500.00 pp

TL-1300.00pp

VS-2100.00pp

Question is, If we were to bid the minimum of 500.00pp for the A2 and its accepted, do you think I would I lose OBC from RCI and my TA? We have 700 total in OBC currently along with prepaid gratuities. I am pretty thrilled with what we have and feel like I may be pushing my luck with this bid thing. Your thoughts are appreciated.

 

 

 

I would call and see if I could get something in writing before taking the chance. Especially with that much OBC and gratuities at stake.

 

The way I read the faqs and terms and conditions you get to keep what you already have as far as perks all you get is a potentially better room for the amount you are bidding.  However I could be wrong.

 

I.e., "Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect. The
Upgrade will not be eligible to receive any promotions or benefits that are
applicable to the stateroom had it been originally booked at that stateroom
category."

 

FYI, You also have to pay any additional gratuities based on the new room category, if any.  I think this means if you go from inside to suite you have to pay the difference.

 

No idea what this means in regard to your TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

 As I expected this whole thing  is BS! 😒

With all my cruises - it would be most cost efficient to buy the upgrade regularly!

When bidding the highest amount.... even if you're bidding with the lowest amount - it is still about the same as outright buying the upgrade! 😮

 

Another way RCI is scamming it's passengers! 🙄

 

We only have one cruise, but the bid amounts are way lower than an outright upgrade. 

 

Current price for a balcony (our room category) is about $2,400. A Panoramic Suite is $4,100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tangled1010 said:

We are sailing on the Harmony 12/9 and received an email today to bid for an upgrade.

We are booked with a travel agent. Originally booked in a GS then last month we were able to upgrade to an OS for no additional cost due a price drop.  Here is what RCI is "offering" for Star class bids:

A2- 500.00 pp

TL-1300.00pp

VS-2100.00pp

Question is, If we were to bid the minimum of 500.00pp for the A2 and its accepted, do you think I would I lose OBC from RCI and my TA? We have 700 total in OBC currently along with prepaid gratuities. I am pretty thrilled with what we have and feel like I may be pushing my luck with this bid thing. Your thoughts are appreciated.

 

 

I work with a bunch of lawyers and frequently read the fine print. I reviewed all the terms and conditions before submitting my offer and confirmed you do not loose obc or any previously earned booking perks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

 

We only have one cruise, but the bid amounts are way lower than an outright upgrade. 

 

Current price for a balcony (our room category) is about $2,400. A Panoramic Suite is $4,100. 

It seems like if you are already paying a lot - it might be a deal but if you have a good price for the cruise the upgrade bidding is not cost efficient!

Non of our cruises cost more than $100 per person per day.... 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

 

We only have one cruise, but the bid amounts are way lower than an outright upgrade. 

 

Current price for a balcony (our room category) is about $2,400. A Panoramic Suite is $4,100. 

 

I paid $2012 for my Outside Balcony. The member of our group who got an inside cabin paid $1695. The upgrade min offer for that inside cabin was $300 per person to an Outside Balcony. So that is $2295 minimum. The minimum is more than if they had booked an Outside Balcony when we booked. 

 

I could bid to upgrade from my balcony for $300 pp for a JS. I don’t think it is worth it. That is $600 minimum and they pick the cabin. Not going to do bid. 

 

Don’t forget the bids are a minimum amount. From what I have read on other cruise lines who have been doing it the minimum bid won’t be enough. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I paid $2012 for my Outside Balcony. The member of our group who got an inside cabin paid $1695. The upgrade min offer for that inside cabin was $300 per person to an Outside Balcony. So that is $2295 minimum. The minimum is more than if they had booked an Outside Balcony when we booked. 

 

I could bid to upgrade from my balcony for $300 pp for a JS. I don’t think it is worth it. That is $600 minimum and they pick the cabin. Not going to do bid. 

 

Don’t forget the bids are a minimum amount. From what I have read on other cruise lines who have been doing it the minimum bid won’t be enough. 

 

It's not so much if it's a good deal all the time or not, it's more about when you book. If you book a cruise 2 years out and keep an eye on price drops, the bid will probably never be a good deal, because chances are you would have been offered a better deal at some point in the past.

 

If you book a cruise relatively last minute, or maybe financials changed between booking the cruise and when bids open, it could also be a good deal.

 

I just don't like saying it's a scam or never a good deal, when there are certain situations when it could be very beneficial (if you can get a winning bid)

 

In my example, I didn't pay anywhere near $2,400 for the balcony, but if somebody did, and was able to bid on an upgrade, it would be a much better deal than just buying the higher category cabin outright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

 As I expected this whole thing  is BS! 😒

With all my cruises - it would be most cost efficient to buy the upgrade regularly!

When bidding the highest amount.... even if you're bidding with the lowest amount - it is still about the same as outright buying the upgrade! 😮

 

Another way RCI is scamming it's passengers! 🙄

 

There is no highest amount in an auction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

 

 

I would call and see if I could get something in writing before taking the chance. Especially with that much OBC and gratuities at stake.

 

The way I read the faqs and terms and conditions you get to keep what you already have as far as perks all you get is a potentially better room for the amount you are bidding.  However I could be wrong.

 

I.e., "Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect. The
Upgrade will not be eligible to receive any promotions or benefits that are
applicable to the stateroom had it been originally booked at that stateroom
category."

 

FYI, You also have to pay any additional gratuities based on the new room category, if any.  I think this means if you go from inside to suite you have to pay the difference.

 

No idea what this means in regard to your TA.

 

Stsr class includes gratuities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received the email for our cruise leaving March 25 on Mariner.  4 night cruise.  We are currently in a GS. 

Offer was for OS - minimum 100, maximum 200. Currently on this sailing it would be 400 pp to upgrade to an OS and there are two left. I was considering upgrading anyway so I may try this.  

Also received an offer to RS for a minimum of 350 pp, but it is currently sold out on this sailing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, awestover89 said:

 

We only have one cruise, but the bid amounts are way lower than an outright upgrade. 

 

Current price for a balcony (our room category) is about $2,400. A Panoramic Suite is $4,100. 

 

Starting bid amounts. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

......if you have a good price for the cruise the upgrade bidding is not cost efficient!

Non of our cruises cost more than $100 per person per day.... 😁

 

Sounds like off season pricing

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Another way RCI is scamming it's passengers! 🙄

 

Participation is voluntary.  That's hardly a scam.  

 

If the number don't work for you, sail in the cabin you purchased.  No scam involved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

 As I expected this whole thing  is BS! 😒

With all my cruises - it would be most cost efficient to buy the upgrade regularly!

When bidding the highest amount.... even if you're bidding with the lowest amount - it is still about the same as outright buying the upgrade! 😮

 

Another way RCI is scamming it's passengers! 🙄

 

 

There's no scam. You choose to pay if you want. You don't if you don't.

 

Where have RCI said this is the cheapest way, or any such thing? Simply - they haven't.

 

It's always amusing when bargain hunters think they've found a cheaper way, then get upset when they find it doesn't meet what they hoped for...

Edited by The_Big_M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

It seems like if you are already paying a lot - it might be a deal but if you have a good price for the cruise the upgrade bidding is not cost efficient!

Non of our cruises cost more than $100 per person per day.... 😁

 

This option is designed for the majority of their cruiser base. Not just elite bargain hunters trying to find an even bigger bargain... yes, you can have a loft suite for $100/day! :classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

I am currently on the Majesty of the Seas and will continue for the next two sailings. I received the Royal Up email today for the third segment. I went by the Next Cruise desk as I had visited them upon boarding and asked what is available. I was told the same thing on both visits - no availability remaining on December 3, so apparently they are also unable to see any inventory being held by the corporate offices. The Next Cruise agent said he had never seen the email I showed him today.

 

The process looks and works exactly like the NCL bidding game except RCCL contacts at 24 hours in advance of sailing and NCL at 48 hours

 

I will chat with the Loyalty Ambassador at the cocktail hour tonight to see what they have heard. It is disappointing to see this started on RCCL company ships. 

This seems like our cruise on Symphony over Christmas in 3 weeks, received the RoyalUp e mail yesterday offering us to bid on the following categories, we are currently 2 in a JS - 

Grand Suite

Owners Suite

1 bedroom Aqua Suite

2 bedroom Aqua Suite

Crown Loft Suite

Star Loft Suite

4 bedroom Villa Suite

I really don’t believe for one minute that all 7 of these categories are available, on SS website there is one Star Loft showing but not available for 2 passengers. On RCCL website all these categories are sold out.  It seems to me, but I could be wrong, that they are taking the bids in case there is a last minute cancellation then they will accept the highest bid.  Unfortunately if we don’t get accepted we will never know if our bid wasn’t high enough or those categories were never available in the first place.  It probably also indicates that Guarantee bookings will only get the minimum guaranteed as bids would be accepted on anything higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Has anyone gotten any Royal Up offers on shorter cruises?  Less than 7 days?

Yes.  We got one for our 4 day Indy coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, awestover89 said:

 

It's not so much if it's a good deal all the time or not, it's more about when you book. If you book a cruise 2 years out and keep an eye on price drops, the bid will probably never be a good deal, because chances are you would have been offered a better deal at some point in the past.

 

If you book a cruise relatively last minute, or maybe financials changed between booking the cruise and when bids open, it could also be a good deal.

 

I just don't like saying it's a scam or never a good deal, when there are certain situations when it could be very beneficial (if you can get a winning bid)

 

In my example, I didn't pay anywhere near $2,400 for the balcony, but if somebody did, and was able to bid on an upgrade, it would be a much better deal than just buying the higher category cabin outright. 

 

You are spot on with some examples.

 

It also depends on the type of cruise you book and how many are in a cabin

 

My family cruises over Christmas every year.  The prices for these cruises are pretty damn high. 

 

I got the RoyalUp email.  I am 100% certain we won't win any bids but for example.  There is absolutely ZERO chance I could have booked an AquaTheater Suite for just $2000 more than my current outside balcony room on Oasis of the Seas.  

 

I am traveling with 2 kids in addition to my wife.  I get a discount on third and fourth people in the cabin when booking.  But It isn't free.  This RoyalUp program actually lets me upgrade my room while ignoring the 3rd and 4th guests costs.

 

If I get that Aquatheater suite, I am going to be thrilled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pencruise said:

This seems like our cruise on Symphony over Christmas in 3 weeks, received the RoyalUp e mail yesterday offering us to bid on the following categories, we are currently 2 in a JS - 

Grand Suite

Owners Suite

1 bedroom Aqua Suite

2 bedroom Aqua Suite

Crown Loft Suite

Star Loft Suite

4 bedroom Villa Suite

I really don’t believe for one minute that all 7 of these categories are available, on SS website there is one Star Loft showing but not available for 2 passengers. On RCCL website all these categories are sold out.  It seems to me, but I could be wrong, that they are taking the bids in case there is a last minute cancellation then they will accept the highest bid.  Unfortunately if we don’t get accepted we will never know if our bid wasn’t high enough or those categories were never available in the first place.  It probably also indicates that Guarantee bookings will only get the minimum guaranteed as bids would be accepted on anything higher. 

 

I feel the same way. We are on an New Years Cruise and we are in a GS. I put some bids on other suites, but they are all sold out. So I feel like it was a waste of time. 

Hotels and airlines do the same thing, but it is for available rooms and seats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We received the email yesterday with lots of choices coming down to the cheapest, a junior suite listed at $200. 

 

We are on Oasis on 12/16 in an accessible cabin that we know we like (we've sailed in it before), convenient to elevators and with a large balcony.  If we were to bid on (and get) a junior suite, could we count on it being easy for my husband to navigate with his scooter, easy to use bathroom (I think junior suites have bathtubs) with a balcony equal to the one we have now, and convenient to elevators?

 

We're tempted to just stay where we are.  The upgrade fairy visited us once and moved us to junior suite, a surprise when we got to the pier.  The only thing I remember was having a coffeemaker, but the package of coffee didn't match the size of the pot.  We made it work, but I sure wouldn't consider paying $400 for it.  

 

What do you experienced folks think?  Is there something i'm forgetting that would make this worth exploring?

 

Margy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Margy23 said:

 ... If we were to bid on (and get) a junior suite, could we count on it being easy for my husband to navigate with his scooter, easy to use bathroom (I think junior suites have bathtubs) with a balcony equal to the one we have now, and convenient to elevators? ...

 

I would not expect you would be able to choose the location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Margy23 said:

We received the email yesterday with lots of choices coming down to the cheapest, a junior suite listed at $200. 

 

We are on Oasis on 12/16 in an accessible cabin that we know we like (we've sailed in it before), convenient to elevators and with a large balcony.  If we were to bid on (and get) a junior suite, could we count on it being easy for my husband to navigate with his scooter, easy to use bathroom (I think junior suites have bathtubs) with a balcony equal to the one we have now, and convenient to elevators?

 

We're tempted to just stay where we are.  The upgrade fairy visited us once and moved us to junior suite, a surprise when we got to the pier.  The only thing I remember was having a coffeemaker, but the package of coffee didn't match the size of the pot.  We made it work, but I sure wouldn't consider paying $400 for it.  

 

What do you experienced folks think?  Is there something i'm forgetting that would make this worth exploring?

 

Margy

The terms say that you have to take what is given.  That said we are on your sailing in a balcony no email sent.  Guess we are blacklisted.  How much was the minimum bid for a GS?  According to their website all suites incl JS's on our sailing have been sold out for quite a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, awestover89 said:

 

It's not so much if it's a good deal all the time or not, it's more about when you book. If you book a cruise 2 years out and keep an eye on price drops, the bid will probably never be a good deal, because chances are you would have been offered a better deal at some point in the past.

 

If you book a cruise relatively last minute, or maybe financials changed between booking the cruise and when bids open, it could also be a good deal.

 

I just don't like saying it's a scam or never a good deal, when there are certain situations when it could be very beneficial (if you can get a winning bid)

 

In my example, I didn't pay anywhere near $2,400 for the balcony, but if somebody did, and was able to bid on an upgrade, it would be a much better deal than just buying the higher category cabin outright. 

 

That is why I said in another post to do the math. Someone may have booked when the prices were at their highest. Maybe it will turn out to be a good deal for some. Or  perhaps someone wanted the loft and it was booked and became available later and they don’t really care about the price. We don’t have any data yet from winning bids on Royal. My only data point was on IcelandAir where the minimum bid was higher than if I had booked the higher class initially or upgraded later normally. I didn’t bid.   I don’t think I would call it a scam but I think Royal is going to be the winner not the bidders. Like others said I don’t believe at 45 days out there are non booked rooms in every category. I think they are listing every catagory to bid on. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...