RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

22 hours ago, Sail2k said:

So just got a surprise from RoyalUp today which was totally unexpected..an email that our Crown Loft Suite was accepted!!!  Was surprised because a) our cruise on Harmony isn’t until Dec. 1st and b) I put in a crappy bid.  I put in a strong bid for a Jr. Suite thinking that would be cool and bam....crown loft was accepted.  Why I have no idea but here is how it all went down.

Booked a standard ocean view balcony for 3 last week, got an email from RoyalUp to bid on an OS, GS and Spacious Ocenview.  At that time I did the minimum for the OS and GS.  Then a couple of days later I noticed that they had hump balcony rooms available for like $30 more than my standard so I called Royal and changed to that and paid the $30.00.  Later that day I received an email stating that because of my change my previous RoyalUp bids had been cancelled and that I can click here for a new offer.  I clicked away and now had the chance to bid on the Crown Loft, OS, GS and Junior.  I bid $1300 for the Crown, $1000 for OS, $700 for GS and $450 for Junior Suite.  They were all minimum except the Jr. Suite was strong, as I was thinking I am good with the Junior.  

So today when I received the email, to say I was a little shocked is an understatement.... not sure how that all works, but I was really thinking we would not get any offers as there was still like 14 hump rooms left.  I told my wife that I didn’t think it would be accepted because there does not appear to be that great a demand for 4 person hump rooms, so no hurry to move us for someone else.

I'm on the Harmony on Dec 1st too,  I put in a bid for a Junior Suite and a Ultra Spacious.  So far nothing. 😞

I saw this over in Celebrity and they use the Move Up offers. I thought the format they were using was helpful (spreadsheet over on google docs) but I can't be permanently committed to that 🙂 Posting replies here will give other cruisers a place to search out the details. You may need to return to your post to update if your bid was accepted or rejected. 

If the powers that be want to pin this to the top, please do. I searched and did not find a similar thread for RCL. 

Royal Up Invite Details

• Ship:  
  • Length of Cruise: 
  • Cruise Sail Date:
  • Date email offer received:
  • C & A Tier:
  • Booked through RCL Direct OR via TA:  
  • Current Cabin:
  • Did you place a bid**? 
  • **If you answered "Yes" , please continue to the next section

Bidding Details:

Please copy and paste a new set of answers for each bid opportunity

• Cabin Category: 
  • Minimum Bid (pp):
  • Bid Offer:
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected: 
Edited by WIChick27
Updated form
  • Thanks 2

EXAMPLE COMPLETION OF INFORMATION 

Royal Up Invite Details

• Ship:  Adventure
  • Length of Cruise: 6N
  • Cruise Sail Date: Nov 17, 2019
  • Date email offer received: Sept 17 2019
  • C & A Tier: Gold
  • Booked through RCL Direct OR via TA:  TA
  • Current Cabin: 7N
  • Did you place a bid**? Yes
  • **If you answered "Yes" , please continue to the next section

Bidding Details:

Please copy and paste a new set of answers for each bid opportunity

• Cabin Category: GS - 2 Bedroom
  • Minimum bid: $350/pp
  • Bid Offer: $550/pp
  • Notification Date: Pending
  • Accepted / Rejected: PENDING

• Cabin Category: GS
  • Minimum bid: $250/pp
  • Bid Offer: $550/pp
  • Notification Date: Pending
  • Accepted / Rejected: PENDING
  • Cabin Category: 
  • Minimum bid: 150/pp
  • Bid Offer: N/A Did not bid
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected: 
  • Cabin Category: Spacious OV Bal
  • Minimum bid: $50/pp
  • Bid Offer: N/A - Did not bid
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected: 

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

CC Member: booked inside cabin for $850 total

Royal Bid $1000 each for Crown Loft suite

Bid accepted two days later 

Total cruise cost in Crown Loft Suite: $2,850... 

me: Smashed my computer screen and keyboard, delete CC account 

I didn't think that you could bid that high up from an inside??

Royal Up Bid Accepted

Ship:  Navigator
Length of Cruise: 3 days
Cruise Sail Date: 12/13/19
Date email offer received:10/30/19
C & A Tier: Diamond
Booked through RCL Direct OR via TA:  TA
Current Cabin: Junior Suite
Did you place a bid? Yes

Bidding Details:

Cabin Category: Owner's Suite
Minimum Bid (pp):$180
Bid Offer:$210
Notification Date:11/6/19
Accepted / Rejected: Accepted

A very big, unnecessary splurge for a short cruise, but what the heck--it's for DW's birthday (a significant one). We'll probably never get an OS again. We also bid $135/PP for a Grand Suite but we were given this one.

• Like 3

Hey all! 

Quick question... we just booked a cruise for the 22nd of this month on the Navigator (I know, last minute). We did get a RoyalUp offer, and I bid. We are currently in a spacious balcony. I was offered to bid on a JS, GS, GS 2BR... I bid on the GS. They are showing sold out on all suites except for Owners... Should I assume that if someone in a GS wins a bid on the OS, I might have a chance of winning a bid on their GS?

Sorry if this is confusing, and any feedback/insight is greatly appreciated!

Meghan

25 minutes ago, taxatty said:

Royal Up Bid Accepted

Ship:  Navigator
Length of Cruise: 3 days
Cruise Sail Date: 12/13/19
Date email offer received:10/30/19
C & A Tier: Diamond
Booked through RCL Direct OR via TA:  TA
Current Cabin: Junior Suite
Did you place a bid? Yes

Bidding Details:

Cabin Category: Owner's Suite
Minimum Bid (pp):$180
Bid Offer:$210
Notification Date:11/6/19
Accepted / Rejected: Accepted

A very big, unnecessary splurge for a short cruise, but what the heck--it's for DW's birthday (a significant one). We'll probably never get an OS again. We also bid $135/PP for a Grand Suite but we were given this one.

Wow! Congrats! 

47 minutes ago, mlm05001 said:

Hey all! 

Quick question... we just booked a cruise for the 22nd of this month on the Navigator (I know, last minute). We did get a RoyalUp offer, and I bid. We are currently in a spacious balcony. I was offered to bid on a JS, GS, GS 2BR... I bid on the GS. They are showing sold out on all suites except for Owners... Should I assume that if someone in a GS wins a bid on the OS, I might have a chance of winning a bid on their GS?

Meghan

Sure, it's possible, but what you see as "sold out" may not be the entire inventory picture.

57 minutes ago, mlm05001 said:

Hey all! 

Meghan

I called because we had wanted to upgrade. While publicly the rooms aren’t available for purchase, inventory is used behind the scenes for various reasons. Likely if they let you bid, something is available. It also allows them to maximize in the case of a cancellation. 

We have a party of six currently booked into a panoramic ocean view suite.  The only higher priced suite that would accomodate all of us will be a 2-BR Grand Suite.  I've read that if bidding, that the bid charges would only be for two passengers.  So to confirm, if I get an opportunity to bid for a 2-BR Grand suite and it is accepted (for argument's sake, say I bid $500) would I only be charged for that bid x 2 people (i.e. 2 x $500 = $1000)  that would allow all 6 of us to stay in the upgraded suite? 

5 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

We have a party of six currently booked into a panoramic ocean view suite.  The only higher priced suite that would accomodate all of us will be a 2-BR Grand Suite.  I've read that if bidding, that the bid charges would only be for two passengers.  So to confirm, if I get an opportunity to bid for a 2-BR Grand suite and it is accepted (for argument's sake, say I bid $500) would I only be charged for that bid x 2 people (i.e. 2 x $500 = $1000)  that would allow all 6 of us to stay in the upgraded suite? 

Yep that is correct!

I did not bid, but here are what we were offered for informational purposes:

Ship:  Majesty
Length of Cruise: 4 nights
Cruise Sail Date: 11/16/19
Date email offer received:10/02/19
C & A Tier: Gold (Platinum! after this cruise)
Booked through RCL Direct OR via TA:  RCL
Current Cabin: Superior Oceanview
Did you place a bid? No

Bidding Details:

Cabin Category: Junior Suite
Minimum Bid (pp):$200

Cabin Category: Grand Suite
Minimum Bid (pp):$450

Cabin Category: Owner's Suite
Minimum Bid (pp):$800

Bid Offer: N/A
Notification Date:N/A
Accepted / Rejected: N/A

We are happy with what we chose and didn't feel it was worth it to upgrade after getting a good rate on this cruise.

Got our rejection 22 hours before sailing.

Adventure

8 nights

sail date 11/9/2019

received offer 2 months prior

Diamond plus

booked thru Royal

Spacious balcony

Bidding

Jr suite. $235 pp a bit above minimum but still a weak bid 

grand suite $450  pp which was above the minimum but still a weak bid

Both bids rejected

We really didn’t expect it and are happy with our cabin although a suite would have been nice. 

Well that sucks, enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Got our rejection 22 hours before sailing.

Adventure

8 nights

sail date 11/9/2019

received offer 2 months prior

Diamond plus

booked thru Royal

Spacious balcony

Bidding

Jr suite. $235 pp a bit above minimum but still a weak bid 

grand suite $450  pp which was above the minimum but still a weak bid

Both bids rejected

We really didn’t expect it and are happy with our cabin although a suite would have been nice. 

On 11/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, WIChick27 said:

Anyone on Adventures next few sailings heard anything? Several of the dates have sold out suite classes and we are anxiously awaiting our upgrade fate! 

I am sailing on the 17th and just got my email today to bid on the Up.  We just booked an inside cabin on Thursday and everything else was sold out so I have no expectation of an upgrade, but I threw something out there.

• Quick question - Where does one find out if their offer is still pending? We received an offer to enter a bid that would upgrade us from an Owner's Suite to a Royal Suite. We put the bid in well over a month ago for the 11/20 Enchantment of the Seas cruise, and I'm antsy. Or curious. Or a mixture of both.

Thanks in advance!

So, here is an interesting one . . .

Booked: Junior Suite

Offer 1 :  Royal Suite

Offer 2 :  Owner's Suite

Offer 3 :  2 Bed Grand Suite

Offer 4 :  1 Bed Grand Suite

However, I visited the Royal Caribbean website and the only suite available to book is the Royal Suite

What does that mean ? ! ?

27 minutes ago, compman9 said:

So, here is an interesting one . . .

Booked: Junior Suite

Offer 1 :  Royal Suite

Offer 2 :  Owner's Suite

Offer 3 :  2 Bed Grand Suite

Offer 4 :  1 Bed Grand Suite

However, I visited the Royal Caribbean website and the only suite available to book is the Royal Suite

What does that mean ? ! ?

That is common.

The upgrade offers are in a lot of cases a fallback in case of last minute cancellations.  Most of the offers that go out do not have cabins available.   If someone cancels Royal already has someone willing to pay to upgrade.  One cancellation can result in many moves. 

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is common.

The upgrade offers are in a lot of cases a fallback in case of last minute cancellations.  Most of the offers that go out do not have cabins available.   If someone cancels Royal already has someone willing to pay to upgrade.  One cancellation can result in many moves. 

Thank you - That makes sense

Is there a method?

I would presume that if you have paid for a $1000 JS and bid $500 for a GS

You would get the upgrade over someone that paid $500 for a balcony and bid $900 for a GS

3 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Is there a method?

You would get the upgrade over someone that paid $500 for a balcony and bid $900 for a GS

It's a closely guarded secret

18 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Is there a method?

I will take a guess here.

Its  about maximizing revenue and not doing what seems fair to the customer.  In your case I would bet that the person who bid $900 would get it.  The other money that they initially paid is already in the bank and Royal wants to add the most that they can

• Like 1