RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Huh.  

The upgrade email went to my step-daughter who rarely cruises.  She forwarded it to me and... you can't reach the site from a ship using Voom.

1813769853_rcclcantbereached.thumb.jpeg.87e2dad180efb2850e10cdf2706b715c.jpeg

I had to use a VPN to place a bid, in her name, using my credit card.

Royal IT strikes again, SNAFU.  

Edited by twangster

37 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Heres another twist for you all.  Yesterday I immediately bid the max amount for an upgrade on the OS, Slyloft, upper loft, and GS.  I am on Anthem 1/6 12 day its our 30th anniversary and I said what the hell lets see what happens.  We are currently in JS/lg balc.

I went to click on modify today and now the "max bid" is higher than the offer I made yesterday.  Thats a game changer for me.  If They are going to continue to raise the bar without us knowing thats not very cool.  They will just continue to raise the max bid to raise revenue on already guaranteed money from earlier bids. If they are going to continue to raise the bar on the max bid that is not cool with me.

If they are going to put in a max bid amount that does not sound fair to me.  They will just keep upping the max amount until people stop bidding.  Doesn't sound right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fridaythe13th said:

I have two cruises booked (Jan and Feb) and I have not been notified about bidding.  I'm hearing that my TA doesn't participate.  ☹️

I guess I was wrong about my agency not participating.  I'm still hoping to get an email for my two bookings, or at least the February cruise.  

• Like 1

I still don't get emails from Royal and they can not figure it out.  So I guess I'm out...

I don't see why this just doesn't open up from the Dashboard like the Cruise Planner does...would that make too much sense?!

Has anyone gotten an email who was in an inside room?  I would be interested in seeing what those look like price wise.  I assume as people upgrade it creates opening at the ocean view and balcony levels also.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PickRC said:

We received our Royal Up yesterday for the New Years Vision.

We are currently booked in a cheap (and tiny) inside cabin.

Our Minimum bids are significantly lower than most of the posts in this thread.

Ocean View = $20 pp

Balcony = $70 pp

Ocean View Suite = $100 pp

Junior Suite = $150 pp

We will certainly be bidding for an opportunity to go from inside to a balcony or suite!

of course I looked at most pages except this one...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RI_Cruiser said:

I still don't get emails from Royal and they can not figure it out.  So I guess I'm out...

I don't see why this just doesn't open up from the Dashboard like the Cruise Planner does...would that make too much sense?!

Has anyone gotten an email who was in an inside room?  I would be interested in seeing what those look like price wise.  I assume as people upgrade it creates opening at the ocean view and balcony levels also.

It does on NCL.  They have a banner on their home page that says "Let's get you Upgraded".

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RI_Cruiser said:

They say the emails go to the email address tied to your booking and your TA gets a copy of it

I wouldn't think that the marketing dept would have all the info specific to the booking that is getting the offer?

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They say the emails go to the email address tied to your booking and your TA gets a copy of it

In our case it went to my step daughters C&A email address.  When I checked us in for the cruise I used my email address on her check in.  The only place her email address that received the upgrade offer was sent to is used is her C&A account.  

Edited by twangster

1 minute ago, twangster said:

In our case it went to my step daughters C&A email address.  When I checked us in for the cruise I used my email address on her check in.  The only place her email address that received the upgrade offer was sent to is her C&A account.  

Here's the wording from the terms 

Valid Guest Email Required A valid email address must be associated with the booking. RCI will send an invitation to the most recently updated email address that is associated with the booking. An email address may have been provided to RCI at the time of booking or by any guest on the booking who uses Cruise Planner, web-based, pre-cruise planning tool. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

The terms say that you have to take what is given.  That said we are on your sailing in a balcony no email sent.  Guess we are blacklisted.  How much was the minimum bid for a GS?  According to their website all suites incl JS's on our sailing have been sold out for quite a while

GS was from $500 per person.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

If they are going to put in a max bid amount that does not sound fair to me.  They will just keep upping the max amount until people stop bidding.  Doesn't sound right

Folks need to do a bit of math - most of the time, the max bid is HIGHER than if you upgrade yourself at list prices.

• Haha 2

Just now, Biker19 said:

Folks need to do a bit of math - most of the time, the max bid is HIGHER than if you upgrade yourself at list prices.

Do you actually see availability on a cabin in an upgraded category which you were offered where your bid would bring your total amount paid to an amount higher than what you could buy it for right there and then?

I can imagine cases where you might have been able to buy the upgraded cabin at some point earlier, had you wanted it, but it isn't available anymore, or at least not at the lowest price it might've been.

But at the time of the upgrade bidding, it's then a different matter -- it's more a "what is it worth to you, now, to upgrade." It has nothing to do with how low it might've been before; it isn't that low now, and isn't available that low now.

It's not like eBay bidders don't quite often end up bidding more for an auctioned item that they could buy from a different retailer instead. Some people just get caught up in the auction/bidding process and/or don't think or know where to look for alternatives to get what they're bidding on for less. Buyer beware, in all cases.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mringenoldus said:

I bid today and received confirmation of a GS upgrade for the third segment of our current B2B2B. I am a little surprised as I bid the minimum.

Confirmation that they received bid or confirmation that the accepted your offer? What was the minimum to upgrade to GS?

• Like 1