RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You seem to think that there is an issue with Royal and Plusgrade (which by the way you also copy and paste very well) and that they are sending out too many upgrade offers based on available inventory.

I am simply pointing out that there are 2 components to this system;

- one being to fill any unsold cabins 

- the second being to have prequalified customers who have committed to an upgrade should a cabin suddenly become available.

In order to get enough qualified bids and get the most money in return it makes perfect sense that they send out a lot more bids than available inventory whether it is actual or anticipated inventory.  

I’m sure they know that is they send out xxx number of bids what % of people will bid the min, mid or max amounts.  It makes sense that they would send out as many bids s they can to get  ore people potentially bidding the maximum.

Royal makes it quite clear that there may or may not be inventory or that bids may or may not be accepted.

After thinking on this more, it does make sense that they would offer (for bid) more upgrade inventory than they have available prior to sailing. We all know airlines sell more seats than they have available on flights because their past data shows that a small percentage of people miss flights every day. Of course, when airlines have more people show up than they expected, they have to buy people off. With the RoyalUp system, RCI doesn't officially accept your bid until they are certain that space is available (hence: no need to buy people off). Pretty smart system, and I believe a win-win for both RCI and those customers willing to pay the most for an upgrade (when available).

• Like 1

We are sailing this summer. Got a great rate at $2,621 with tips included for an 8D OV balcony. Right now RCCL wants $4,047 for the same cabin and it has been over $5,000 in the past and when we booked though a TA. I really hope I get an upgrade offer because I'm going to bid for a GS. Current price for a GS is $8139. Possible to get an upgrade and sail at 50% below the retail cost of the suite. And if no upgrade, we love our cabin location. I always pick our cabins after a week of hell in the Ben & Jerry suite and the slamming door!

• Haha 1

Just got a "reminder" to bid on an upgrade from the Grand Loft to the Royal Loft on Anthem.  Minimum bid $1200 each.  I don't see the value here.  Star Class is Star Class and there are just 2 of us.  ...plus the cruise is completely sold out.  Not going to do this one.

15 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Just got a "reminder" to bid on an upgrade from the Grand Loft to the Royal Loft on Anthem.  Minimum bid $1200 each.  I don't see the value here.  Star Class is Star Class and there are just 2 of us.  ...plus the cruise is completely sold out.  Not going to do this one.

What sailing date?  I tried to book the Royal Loft for 4/13 on the Anthem but was told it was already reserved so my only hope to get it at this point is that it someone how wasn't really reserved or has a last minute cancellation

10 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

We are sailing this summer. Got a great rate at $2,621 with tips included for an 8D OV balcony. Right now RCCL wants $4,047 for the same cabin and it has been over $5,000 in the past and when we booked though a TA. I really hope I get an upgrade offer because I'm going to bid for a GS. Current price for a GS is $8139. Possible to get an upgrade and sail at 50% below the retail cost of the suite. And if no upgrade, we love our cabin location. I always pick our cabins after a week of hell in the Ben & Jerry suite and the slamming door!

I wonder if the algorithim gives preference to people who paid more for their rooms.

Example - someone who paid $5000 and bids $500 would get preference over someone who booked early and paid $4000 and bids $500.  This is why I think its almost impossible for someone to jump to cabin classes like OV to Grand Suite.  Not to say I didn't bid on the Grand or Owners Suite :) 

32 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

What sailing date?  I tried to book the Royal Loft for 4/13 on the Anthem but was told it was already reserved so my only hope to get it at this point is that it someone how wasn't really reserved or has a last minute cancellation

We will be on Anthem 2-15 thru 2-23 and then 2-23 thru 3-3.  We are in GLS 8724 on the first half of the B2B and GLS 10720 on the second half.  I wish we could have gotten the same suite for both segments but we weren't able to do that.  The RoyalUp offer was just for the first segment.  I don't think the Royal Loft Suite is available.  I think they're just "fishing".

13 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

So if I make a bid on an upgrade, and change my mind, can I reject  it?

Thanks

You can delete your bid, but if they accept your bid before you delete it, you are committed.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:48 AM, Sailing_Canuck said:

I wonder if the algorithim gives preference to people who paid more for their rooms.

Example - someone who paid $5000 and bids $500 would get preference over someone who booked early and paid $4000 and bids $500.  This is why I think its almost impossible for someone to jump to cabin classes like OV to Grand Suite.  Not to say I didn't bid on the Grand or Owners Suite 🙂

I don't expect success but we'll probably bid depending on what the minimum is. Not knowing how they decide who gets the upgrade I can see your scenario coming into play for equal bids or maybe they just consider the amount bid and go with the highest bidder.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, RFerrington said:

We will be on Anthem 2-15 thru 2-23 and then 2-23 thru 3-3.  We are in GLS 8724 on the first half of the B2B and GLS 10720 on the second half.  I wish we could have gotten the same suite for both segments but we weren't able to do that.  The RoyalUp offer was just for the first segment.  I don't think the Royal Loft Suite is available.  I think they're just "fishing".

RF,  my wife and I just left room 10722 right next to yours. What a spectacular time. Best weather We have experienced in years. You will absolutely love Jesus, your cabin attendant. Ask for ANYTHING and it will be there. Best towel animals you will ever see. ( 20+ years with RC)

We got this sky loft in the Royal Up bidding process and it was the best money I ever spent. 60 plus pinnacles on board so having the opportunity to book reservations before boarding was imperative. Junior suite guests were no where to be found as they probably could not get in. Pinnacle pins every where. We met some great people both in the lounge and in coastal. What a great cruise. Fortunately we have AC during our whole 12 days. Dan

Royal Up is genius. The fact its not a real auction allows them to pick and choose winners based on max revenue.

Guest A bids $500 on big suite and bids $300 on medium suite. Guest B only bid on the big suite but only for $400. So instead of giving the big suite to highest bidder you give Guest B the big suite and guest A the medium suite and revenue is $700. Or Guest C has 4 drink packages and 4 specialty dining booked don't upgrade him to have suite perks as he might cancel speciality dining and drink package etc etc etc. Not saying tbhs is how it works but its how it could work to maximize revenue.

Hello everyone I just skimped thru this and I apologize in advance if my question has been answered.  I am sailing in March with family,  I have a board walk balcony room, just me.  I know I get double points for sailing alone.  If I were to bid on an upgrade to say a Jr. Suite or Grand Suite do I still get the double points or triple points?

MadamG2U

37 minutes ago, MadamG2U said:

Hello everyone I just skimped thru this and I apologize in advance if my question has been answered.  I am sailing in March with family,  I have a board walk balcony room, just me.  I know I get double points for sailing alone.  If I were to bid on an upgrade to say a Jr. Suite or Grand Suite do I still get the double points or triple points?

MadamG2U

Don't forget that as a single your bid will be doubled.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sailing_Canuck said:

Received our Royal Up email beginning of January for Serenade of the Seas on Feb  22.  Cruise is almost sold out - so not sure what chance we'll have.   Haven't seen anyone else posting about an RU email for this cruise yet.

I am on a cruise that was showing "sold out" for quite a while before sailing.

Several people "won" their bids in RoyalUp and are sailing in those upgraded cabins right now. 🙂

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am on a cruise that was showing "sold out" for quite a while before sailing.

Several people "won" their bids in RoyalUp and are sailing in those upgraded cabins right now. 🙂

That's reassuring for anyone putting bids in on the RU program.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That's reassuring for anyone putting bids in on the RU program.

I bid on Rhapsody for cruise early this month and Oasis (boarding today).  Got an email the day before.... each telling me my bid was unsuccessful.