RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

3 hours ago, twccruiser said:

I am sailing on Majesty tomorrow at 4PM EST and just received my bid acceptance (today the day before) from a ocean view to a Jr Suite at 12:07PM EST.

This is fabulous news!  You give us all hope 🙂

• Like 2

My wife and I are sailing on Allure April 7th.  We're currently booked in a boardwalk stateroom, 11329.  It's the very last room on deck 11 overlooking the aqua theater.  Because of its prime location, it was actually slightly more expensive than the other boardwalk staterooms.  Our total cost for the cruise fare without gratuities came out to $1,937.70.  Yesterday, I received my Royal Up invitation.  I can upgrade to any of the following: an ocean front balcony, a junior suite, a grand suite, a crown suite, an owner's suite, or an aqua theater suite.  I just checked a moment ago on the current pricing for the GS, CS, OS, and AS.  The total prices are as follows: GS - $4876.24, CS - $5676.24, OS - $6477.24, and AS - $7077.24 (all without gratuities).  Here are the Royal Up bid ranges that were offered: GS is $600pp to $2100pp, CS is $900pp to $3100pp, OS is $900pp to $3100pp, and AS is $1000pp to $3500pp.  If I were to bid the upper range on any of these categories, my current cost plus the upgrade cost would cause me to exceed the currently advertised price by a significant amount.  I wonder how many people get these Royal Up offers and make an immediate offer without doing their research.  It looks like around %60 of the range is a break even for RCCL.  A deal for me would have to be something less than that.

Edited by davidmech21
  • Like 2

Well this is interesting.  We're sailing on Serenade of the Seas and originally put bids on the Owners Suite, Junior Suite, Grand Suite and Ocean View (no balcony).

When I check the status of my Royal Up bids, I get the following error when I click on Owner's Suite "No eligible cruise found."

Also, when I click on the original Royal Up email, the Royal Suite and Owner's suite are no longer listed to bid on.

It leads me to believe that the system then only offers rooms that have not received full payment rather than cancellations.  Otherwise, how would the system account for a cancellation unless a new Royal Up email is sent out?

1 hour ago, Sailing_Canuck said:

Well this is interesting.  We're sailing on Serenade of the Seas and originally put bids on the Owners Suite, Junior Suite, Grand Suite and Ocean View (no balcony).

When I check the status of my Royal Up bids, I get the following error when I click on Owner's Suite "No eligible cruise found."

Also, when I click on the original Royal Up email, the Royal Suite and Owner's suite are no longer listed to bid on.

It leads me to believe that the system then only offers rooms that have not received full payment rather than cancellations.  Otherwise, how would the system account for a cancellation unless a new Royal Up email is sent out?

Just checked mine and 2 options are now gone.  ATS and CLS.  But it added an ultra space with large balcony and large ocean view with balcony.  Makes me think that the people in those 2 cat already got their bid accepted for the 2 cat that are now gone and they are trying to fill those cabins now.  By the way my sailing is not until March 10.

We have a inside cabin back of ship 2adults & 2 teenagers and have made some bids. Now they have add a spacious interior cabin that sleep 6 people with 2 twin beds and couch. I didn't even know they had bigger interior rooms. Where are they located in the ship? What to you think?

1 hour ago, Paula B said:

We have a inside cabin back of ship 2adults & 2 teenagers and have made some bids. Now they have add a spacious interior cabin that sleep 6 people with 2 twin beds and couch. I didn't even know they had bigger interior rooms. Where are they located in the ship? What to you think?

Ship?

1 hour ago, Paula B said:

If it were me, I wouldn't go from interior to spacious interior. I'd only go for it if I was moving to oceanview or higher, especially if you're concerned about location.

We got lucky. We originally had a midship deck 3 oceanview room and through RoyalUP, got a midship balcony room.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, davidmech21 said:

My wife and I are sailing on Allure April 7th.  We're currently booked in a boardwalk stateroom, 11329.  It's the very last room on deck 11 overlooking the aqua theater.  Because of its prime location, it was actually slightly more expensive than the other boardwalk staterooms.  Our total cost for the cruise fare without gratuities came out to $1,937.70.  Yesterday, I received my Royal Up invitation.  I can upgrade to any of the following: an ocean front balcony, a junior suite, a grand suite, a crown suite, an owner's suite, or an aqua theater suite.  I just checked a moment ago on the current pricing for the GS, CS, OS, and AS.  The total prices are as follows: GS - $4876.24, CS - $5676.24, OS - $6477.24, and AS - $7077.24 (all without gratuities).  Here are the Royal Up bid ranges that were offered: GS is $600pp to $2100pp, CS is $900pp to $3100pp, OS is $900pp to $3100pp, and AS is $1000pp to $3500pp.  If I were to bid the upper range on any of these categories, my current cost plus the upgrade cost would cause me to exceed the currently advertised price by a significant amount.  I wonder how many people get these Royal Up offers and make an immediate offer without doing their research.  It looks like around %60 of the range is a break even for RCCL.  A deal for me would have to be something less than that.

There was someone that got their bid accepted and their bid was more than what they could have paid to upgrade themselves. I'm sure that they are not the only pnes

16 minutes ago, amybk27 said:

For the people that have been upgraded, did you find out before the 24 hr mark?  Or did they notify you at the 24 hr mark?

We leave Feb 17. We found out we had been upgraded on Feb 1. It also happened to be my birthday, so that was great!

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

There was someone that got their bid accepted and their bid was more than what they could have paid to upgrade themselves. I'm sure that they are not the only pnes

I'm sure that has happened. In our case, we got the upgrade for less than what the balcony room would've been when we originally booked. Also, every category of stateroom other than interior was showing sold out.

21 minutes ago, bigjcruiser said:

I was just wondering if it’s only those in the US who get the upgrade bid emails? Has anyone in the UK got any? Just whether to hold out any hope of receiving one!

I was wondering this for Australia as well but I just got an email from Royal yesterday saying the Royal UP program is launching here today (Feb 12), so it appears they are rolling it out. I got the email notice as a Crown & Anvhor member - if you aren’t already, worth it to sign up and get notice when it’s starting in the UK?

25 minutes ago, M-H-B said:

I was wondering this for Australia as well but I just got an email from Royal yesterday saying the Royal UP program is launching here today (Feb 12), so it appears they are rolling it out. I got the email notice as a Crown & Anvhor member - if you aren’t already, worth it to sign up and get notice when it’s starting in the UK?

We get the offers in Canada as well - they are in CAD which is nice.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, davidmech21 said:

But you could bid in the lower range and win and those would be excellent prices for those rooms, thats the lure. 

We haven't cruised for a couple years so I'm very much out of the loop with some of these new programs and am looking for some advice. We booked a Jr. Suite GTY for our upcoming trip and I understand that I am guaranteed this category of stateroom, or possibly better. When we were on AOS we booked the same deal and were upgraded to a Grand Suite, which was amazing, and I'm aware that we were probably very lucky to have received that upgrade.

My question is, I booked our trip 3 days ago and today received an email stating we could place a bid and possibly get an upgraded room. They placed the Grand Suite at $300/pp, Owners Suite at $600/pp, etc etc. If you were me, would you place a bid to try (i.e., anyone here actually have there bid accepted? Assuming you can bid any amount?) or is it not necessary since a GTY might land me there anyway?

When I booked this trip there were not any Jr. Suite's left to book at all (according to the agent) - so that's why I think I might have a chance at an upgrade anyway. Thanks so much for your insight! 

4 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

We haven't cruised for a couple years so I'm very much out of the loop with some of these new programs and am looking for some advice. We booked a Jr. Suite GTY for our upcoming trip and I understand that I am guaranteed this category of stateroom, or possibly better. When we were on AOS we booked the same deal and were upgraded to a Grand Suite, which was amazing, and I'm aware that we were probably very lucky to have received that upgrade.

My question is, I booked our trip 3 days ago and today received an email stating we could place a bid and possibly get an upgraded room. They placed the Grand Suite at $300/pp, Owners Suite at $600/pp, etc etc. If you were me, would you place a bid to try (i.e., anyone here actually have there bid accepted? Assuming you can bid any amount?) or is it not necessary since a GTY might land me there anyway?

When I booked this trip there were not any Jr. Suite's left to book at all (according to the agent) - so that's why I think I might have a chance at an upgrade anyway. Thanks so much for your insight! 

Very few people get the upgrade.

its there in case they get a last minute cancellation, that way they already have people who have afpgreed to pay for it.

100’s  of people on your cruise received the same e mail and are bidding an tha5 cabin that may never materialize. 

Thank you so much for the link, I'll get to reading that....! The poll was great too, would be interesting to see how many people actually use the system, what their offer was and if their offer was accepted. I love data and assume there's some sort of algorithm. I am a little bummed though, seems like this is a way to weed out those "lucky upgrades" as I would assume they'll reward any upgrade offer v. none at all. 

2 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

Thank you so much for the link, I'll get to reading that....! The poll was great too, would be interesting to see how many people actually use the system, what their offer was and if their offer was accepted. I love data and assume there's some sort of algorithm. I am a little bummed though, seems like this is a way to weed out those "lucky upgrades" as I would assume they'll reward any upgrade offer v. none at all. 

The upgrade/upsell fairies are pretty much dead now.