RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

Had an inside guarantee on Mariner for a short cruise departing on Feb 22nd. Got an email today that they accepted the $80pp upgrade to a Junior Suite. I bid never expecting them to accept that. I also bid on an ocean-view for $10pp and a balcony for $50pp. I skipped the panoramic suite option.

The person I'm going with is ecstatic since we both looked over prices when we first booked and ended up settling on the inside because we wanted an inexpensive weekend getaway. For that price I can't complain at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'd also guess that getting a better than booked category on a GTY booking is just about dead.  Why give it to you for free when they can have someone in an existing JS pay for an upgrade, and then put you in their JS?  All upgrades in the future will likely cost money.

I dont have a problem with that

I am curious to see how Royal Up works. We are on the April 14th Harmony cruise in a CLS. We put in the maximum bid for a 2 bedroom Aquatheater Suite. We had the choice of a 1 bedroom ATS, 2 bedroom ATS, SLS and Villa Suite. The Royal Loft Suite did not show up. I am not at liberty at this time to say how much we bid, but it came in as a strong bid. The 2 bedroom ATS was the only room that appealed to the 4 of us. Our kids liked that there was a second bedroom and not a pull out couch. Keeping our fingers crossed, but we will be happy with our CLS if it doesn't come through.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'd also guess that getting a better than booked category on a GTY booking is just about dead.  Why give it to you for free when they can have someone in an existing JS pay for an upgrade, and then put you in their JS?  All upgrades in the future will likely cost money.

A good point indeed. I'll admit, part of the hopefulness with booking a GTY was the "chance" at an upgraded stateroom. But I'm still grateful to have a Jr. Suite at all, the extra room will be nice and being able to book this category of stateroom will finally make us Diamond, woop woop! 😎

59 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Wasn't that more than the typical list price diff of less than $1,000pp?

At the time we booked, the 2 bedroom ATS was not available for that date (Spring Break). After getting this offer, we realized how nice Star Class would be. I will keep everyone posted.

1 minute ago, Sister Ter said:

At the time we booked, the 2 bedroom ATS was not available for that date (Spring Break). 

It's very likely one will never open, I'm just making the point that some times when you bid the max you are paying more than list price - though I'm sure RCI will appreciate it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It's very likely one will never open, I'm just making the point that some times when you bid the max you are paying more than list price - though I'm sure RCI will appreciate it.

However, if you really want to go on a particular date, And you did not have the opportunity to book a STAR suite, maybe paying a premium is the only way to go.

• Like 1

I placed a bid on a balcony stateroom when I got the original Royal Up email. The minimum bid was $100. I put in $110 bid. A few days later I was trying to up the bid to $160 but it kept saying not successful. I called Royal to see why I couldn’t raise the bid. They said keep trying or I could cancel the bid and try again. I canceled the bid and tried it again. This time the minimum bid was $200 instead of the $100. I called them back to see what happened. They just said there have been bids of $200 plus for the rooms so that’s the minimum now and your original bid of $110 wasn’t going to be accepted if if it was still in the system. So if that’s true people could go back in and try to raise a bid just to see if it goes thru or not. If it doesn’t then it sounds like the minimum bid is higher than what your trying to put in and your lower old bid will not be getting the upgrade either. Anyone else have this experience?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cubbies1980 said:

Anyone else have this experience?

Welcome to CC.

Yes, the bidding range, like many other pricing schemes with RCI, is dynamic. I had the same issue of trying to modify a bid when the min was raised and had to cancel and rebid.

30 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Yes, the bidding range, like many other pricing schemes with RCI, is dynamic. I had the same issue of trying to modify a bid when the min was raised and had to cancel and rebid.

I'm infatuated that folks are keeping their bids close to the vest.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In the spirit of that post.. going on Allure March 31st.  Currently in JS.

Its an anniversary so really trying to get upgraded for suite benefits. 

GS: $500 ($400 min)

CL: $700 (min bid)

AT: $740 ($700 min)

Still suites available so hoping they play musical chairs and I "win". Even though I'm diamond I haven't been on a cruise in 5+ years and first time on the biggest ships so excited. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jrod1229 said:

Still suites available so hoping they play musical chairs and I "win". Even though I'm diamond I haven't been on a cruise in 5+ years and first time on the biggest ships so excited. 

Thanks, and good luck.

I sail on the Anthem on 3/15 and I just got my second offer to Royal up. One of the offers is for a Spacious Ocean View Balcony cabin. Is that the same as a "Ocean View Large Balcony" Cabin.? I can' seem to find any reference on RC's site in regards to A "Spacious" Ocean View". We are already in a Ocean View with Balcony 1D.  I'd like more cabin room but not Balcony room and don't want to bid if that's the difference.  Hoping someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They are probably afraid people will tell them that they bid too much😇

Ellen who still has not had the opportunity to play the game and has a cruise coming up in 2 1/2 weeks

Edited by molly361

5 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Just curious...I received an email for Royal Up. Does anyone know how many of these are emailed out per cruise? I realize it depends on how many rooms are available, but does everyone get one?

Thanks!!

Not everyone on the cruise gets one

1 hour ago, jrod1229 said:

Wondering if that was $400 per person or for both?