RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

10 minutes ago, fridaythe13th said:

On NCL you take the perks you already have with you.  You get no more.

Not quite. If you win a bid on a Spa room you do get the included spa access. And if you win a bid on a Suite or Haven room you get the butler, access to the Haven areas, and access to the suite dining too. You just don't get to upgrade any free perks you picked upon booking and you don't get the double points in suites if you win a bid. 

No one knows for sure if Royal is following a similar format, but I would assume they are because why bid on a GS or higher if you don't get access to Coastal Kitchen, etc. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Just got an email for our January Freedom cruise. We are currently in a balcony and the starting bids are:

Royal Suite $1,000+

Villa Suite $700+

Owner's Suite $450+

Grand Suite $350+

Junior Suite $200+

Panoramic Suite $150+

To raise the odds to "Fair" from "Weak" it's:

Royal Suite $2,425+

Villa Suite $1,800+

Owner's Suite $780+

Grand Suite $540+

Junior Suite $435+

Panoramic Suite $365+

And to get "Strong":

Royal Suite $3,190+

Villa Suite $2,390+

Owner's Suite $960+

Grand Suite $640+

Junior Suite $560+

Panoramic Suite $480+

All prices per person.

Undecided if we'll try for anything or not, probably won't go much higher than the lowest possible. We won this cruise in a raffle so weren't really planning on spending anything

I'd be very reluctant bidding for a balcony to JS upgrade at anything more than the minimum listed above.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd be very reluctant bidding for a balcony to JS upgrade at anything more than the minimum listed above.

The majority may not even bid the min.

Biker, who wonders how much Plusgrade gets out of each deal.

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

TA is a good question.  Will my TA get a larger commission?  Will I get larger incentives from my TA?

Yes. Looks like it's based on the bid amount:

If a bid is accepted, you'll earn the commission on the upgrade, even if your client submits the bid themselves. It's a total win-win!

• Thanks 1

It's going to be very interesting to see how nimble the hotel and loyalty staff will be with cabin changes (24 hours).

We have only got one free upgrade from OV to a balcony.  All materials upon arrival and for the entire week were addressed to the original occupant/passenger.  We never got anything with our name on it.

2 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how nimble the hotel and loyalty staff will be with cabin changes (24 hours).

Most of this is likely be like a GTY booking and assignments made far enough out to not have issues like that.

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

I was wondering what impact this process may have on your original booking?

Will you book a JS to get double points?  Then bid on your usual GS?

You would be taking a pretty big chance on both price and availability, never mind being outbid if it ever came to that.

39 minutes ago, kevnick0814 said:

Received my email today at 10:55a eastern for our 3/29/18 Navigator cruise. 

Top dollar bids listed:

Royal - $2k per

Owner's - $1,200

Grand - $1,000

Junior - $800

Panoramic - $800

What are your original accomodations?

48 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure numbers go backwards.  3 and 4 are the 1 bedrooms

Hey John.................you changed your avatar from your pooch to a pony.............Bella is gonna be mad!!!!

I just found 4 Royal Up e-mails in my spam folder................ the computer is pretty smart............it can smell a rotten deal!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

We are booked through a TA and just got the UPgrade email.

I sent my TA an email asking to participate.  Should hear back soon.  She works 4 - midnight

Edited by John&LaLa

5 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Hey John.................you changed your avatar from your pooch to a pony.............Bella is gonna be mad!!!!

I just found 4 Royal Up e-mails in my spam folder................ the computer is pretty smart............it can smell a rotten deal!!!!!!

Pistol is temporary.  Bell will be back prior to Bama game on Saturday

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I sent my TA an email asking to participate.  Should hear back soon.  She works 4 - midnight

My TA doesn't participate in the NCL upgrade program so I'm sure they don't for Royal.  I'm sending her an email now.  Now I haVTGo write my email. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Has any one been able to look at the offers from on board a RCI ship. When I click any link on the RU email I get this.

Screenshot_20181128-163151.thumb.jpg.c79dc3853fa28ec525004a635c43aa6d.jpg

Onboard they use a different DNS server for their own web addresses, and fail to provide any resolution for the uncommon domains, so they generally appear unreachable while onboard (for example, the creative.rccl.com address won't resolve onboard). If you use a service like DNSCrypt which redirects DNS requests over SSL port 443 connections you can get the normal resolution of names and reach all the RCCL sites (and many other sites they block only by name resolution). You could also configure the address locally on your computer in the hosts file or equivalent. Generally I don't think phones tend to offer an easy way to do something similar, though maybe there's something that'll do it in a VPN-like app.

One more #fail for Royal's IT department.

Edited by dswallow

18 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Thank you

20 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

We have only got one free upgrade from OV to a balcony.  All materials upon arrival and for the entire week were addressed to the original occupant/passenger.  We never got anything with our name on it.

We have had two upgrades in the last few years.  Both times, the prior occupants were still listed in our cabin.  I am sure that the folks in our old cabin enjoyed our three bottles of wine.  So, Royal was not nimble.  For most of both cruises Royal thought there were five people in the JS.  That would have been cozy.  Short answer they were not nimble in the hotel staff.  David

This is going to be interesting.  The numbers may be different but I think it's a good point.

If I have a GS and bid $400 for an OS, as opposed to someone in a balcony that bids $2K for that same OS.  RCI makes more money (+$1,600), but will they take into account how easy it is to resell your original cabin?

The possibilities are infinite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candlegirl said:

It looks like the A1 is one bedroom and the A2 is bigger with 2 bedrooms.    What I don't understand is when I go to do a mock booking the only thing they have available is  Junior Suite, Crown Loft Suite and Sky Loft Suite, but they have the options for all of these other room types.

Nope.  They are both 2 BR (so both are Star Class) but the A1 is the bigger of the 2.  I have sailed in both.  The A1 is significantly bigger (both the stateroom and especially the balcony) than the A2.