Mandatory Tipping ant

marymorn513

On 11/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, marymorn513 said:

My special needs daughter has worked at TGIF for over ten years helping prepare meals as well as running food to tables and helping wherever she can.  She seldom sees any tip money and perhaps the diners should be required to pony up a few dollars before being seated.

Or maybe the servers should be giving her a taste of their tips for running food to the tables.

18 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Wow!  I did say when cruising overseas I leave tips on to confirm with overseas expectations.  I am a very experienced world traveller, both cruising and land and always research in advance unlike the American woman in the Vasa souvenir shop in Stockholm, who demanded the shop assistant tell her the cost of the item she was purchasing in “real money” not whatever you people here use!

Just like the woman you mentioned, I think everyone can tell stories of those from other countries who make blunders while traveling.  I was just in Las Vegas and I have a ton of stories.  It boils down to some people just don't care to take the time to find out the right thing to do while traveling or they will just do what they do in their home country no matter if it is not the norm where they are traveling.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:54 PM, Gwendy said:

Australian travellers find tipping very confusing and confronting.  We only tip here for exceptional service, there is no expectation.  A few years ago cruises leaving from Australian ports removed all tipping.  Yes the cost of thecruise went up slightly to compensate.  Now there is no angst regarding taking tips off, tipping on last day, how much to give etc, it’s all taken care of.  

Personally when cruising overseas I just leave tips on and deal with it.  It is not a big issue.

First, I notice and appreciate that you do leave tips in place.  However, I do not understand why Australians find tipping "very confusing and confronting".  When I was around 17, my mother suggested I ask a young lady out to dinner.  She explained how tips worked.  She gave me some money for the bill and a separate amount for the tipping.  She made sure I understood how that tipping was expected.  I simply don't understand why some find a simple task I mastered in high school is so "confusing and confronting".

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

First, I notice and appreciate that you do leave tips in place.  However, I do not understand why Australians find tipping "very confusing and confronting".  When I was around 17, my mother suggested I ask a young lady out to dinner.  She explained how tips worked.  She gave me some money for the bill and a separate amount for the tipping.  She made sure I understood how that tipping was expected.  I simply don't understand why some find a simple task I mastered in high school is so "confusing and confronting".

Perhaps then you can explain why many Americans say they find it uncomfortabl3 to walk out without tipping, when Australians find it very natural.

40 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Because they were raised in a different culture.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

You may not, but many say that they do.

Many? Who are these mysterious "many"? If they err on the side of giving a tip, what is the harm? Perhaps you are intimated by our generosity? 

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Perhaps then you can explain why many Americans say they find it uncomfortabl3 to walk out without tipping, when Australians find it very natural.

Not sure where these imaginary "many Americans" are. I certainly don't see them when I am in restaurants and bars. I see them following the norms in the countries they are visiting.

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I certainly don't feel uncomfortable to walk out without tipping, if I'm in a country that doesn't have a tipping culture nor do I think most Americans if they have done their research.

Just now, sloopsailor said:

Many? Who are these mysterious "many"? Certainly not Americans who understand the purpose and the process. Perhaps you are intimated by our generosity? 

We understand the purpose of tipping and have no qualms about participating. Not sure where these imaginary "many Americans" are. I certainly don't see them when I am in restaurants and bars. 

Maybe you need to read more posts here, or talk to visiting rs to Australia.

i. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve read it and heard it.

just like, when in Rome, “I tipped and they took it”.

seems many of your countrymen just can’t help themselves when they are told some country doesn’t tip, they still just have to do it.

4 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Not sure where these imaginary "many Americans" are. I certainly don't see them when I am in restaurants and bars. I see them following the norms in the countries they are visiting.

Exactly.  I think someone might be exaggerating a little. 🙄

15 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Maybe you need to read more posts here, or talk to visiting rs to Australia.

i. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve read it and heard it.

just like, when in Rome, “I tipped and they took it”.

seems many of your countrymen just can’t help themselves when they are told some country doesn’t tip, they still just have to do it.

Blah, blah, blah. So much angst over people being generous. Sorry that you are so threatened because we may offer a tip when one isn't required. I still don't understand why certain people get so worked up over people treating people better than necessary. Maybe you think it makes yourself look bad in comparison?

We certainly don't come on public forums and complain about the culture in other countries if it is different than ours. Seems a fools errand to go somewhere that has a different culture and then complain about how different it is than at home. 

I have been to Australia twice and New Zealand once. Didn't have any problem with understanding the local culture and abiding by it - just as most Americans don't!

Edited by sloopsailor

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No just telling the truth.

You imaginary truth is very different than actual truth. Reminds me of a famous saying by US Senator and Ambassador Daniel Partick Moynihan:

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." 

Edited by sloopsailor

As a complete off the track, in LA we were very tired  after travelling for just on 24 hours, tipped the porter at the hotel what we thought was the going rate, turns out it was way way over. For the two days of our stay, we just had to walk out of the lift and the porters were falling over themselves to assist us. Lol

Years age, before the Euro, I had worked out the currency for Holland, I thought.  I was concerned when the lady taking money at the toilets, berated me in Dutch.  Back on the bus I checked my money I had given her the equivalent of 2 cents instead of the 20 cents I had thought.  Oops.

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

Blah, blah, blah. So much angst over people being generous. Sorry that you are so threatened because we may offer a tip when one isn't required. I still don't understand why certain people get so worked up over people treating people better than necessary. Maybe you think it makes yourself look bad in comparison?

We certainly don't come on public forums and complain about the culture in other countries if it is different than ours. Seems a fools errand to go somewhere that has a different culture and then complain about how different it is than at home. 

I have been to Australia twice and New Zealand once. Didn't have any problem with understanding the local culture and abiding by it - just as most Americans don't!

I know it's difficult to understand (especially for us Americans who are intent on being generous), but tipping in places where tipping is NOT the culture is just the same as saying "We want you to abide by our culture, with all its quirks, but we don't have to abide by yours [because we are more generous]."  Sorry, but that just smacks of 'noblesse oblige'.

I've talked to a lot of Europeans who may not be in the tourism industry but do have to live in the towns and cities impacted by tourism. Importing our expectations on tipping to places where people are already making a working wage is not appreciated, and it is not fair to those who live there 24/7/365.  I know it took a while for me to fully grasp this, but once you understand it from the perspective of the 'other side' it's clear that respect for the culture of others should go both ways.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, taglovestocruise said:

.  I wish the cruise lines would just charge a mandatory service charge and be done with it. Maybe even like Las Vegas where every hotel charges a mandatory resort fee. 

YOUR WISH IS GRANTED:

they DO “add a ... service charge and be done with it.” So what is your beef?  

Not only do they automatically add the charge  which you claim to wish they would add; they give you the option of reducing/removing it — presumably for good reason, such as poor service, and not just  because you are cheap.

Perhaps people who claim to not like the way it is done do not like to have to resist the temptation to remove it.  It is hard to see any other reason for not liking it

• Like 1

The OP could ring them up and get them to change their pay structures so that the staff get paid by the employer and not the consumer. That way, we can not pay tips but higher cruise fares and the employer will pay more tax along with the employees, it is win win for everyone.

Not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know it's difficult to understand (especially for us Americans who are intent on being generous), but tipping in places where tipping is NOT the culture is just the same as saying "We want you to abide by our culture, with all its quirks, but we don't have to abide by yours [because we are more generous]."  Sorry, but that just smacks of 'noblesse oblige'.

I've talked to a lot of Europeans who may not be in the tourism industry but do have to live in the towns and cities impacted by tourism. Importing our expectations on tipping to places where people are already making a working wage is not appreciated, and it is not fair to those who live there 24/7/365.  I know it took a while for me to fully grasp this, but once you understand it from the perspective of the 'other side' it's clear that respect for the culture of others should go both ways.

I hardly think there is such an epidemic of over tipping going on to disturb the balance of local customs to the point the residents are adversely affected. After all, the majority of tourists in any area are usually fellow countrymen. The "tipping tourists" are a small percentage of the total visitors. If the local culture cannot endure an occasional overly enthusiastic tipper, then that culture is probably collapsing and needs to change. 

Much ado about nothing. 

Edited by sloopsailor

Having lived in a country with a non tipping culture, I can tell you that it doesn't happen except for certain industries (tours, etc for tourists) and even then it doesn't happen that often.

However, I have found that when I have been tipped for providing a service, I was certainly surprised but not offended, despite saying it was not necessary, I then accepted the said tip and said thank you. 

• Like 2

If you put "tipping" in the search, upper right hand of page, you will get a few dozen threads to come up. I just tested it and it worked.

Our feeling on cruising and tipping, since we understand the system. If we cannot afford to leave the tip on for the crew who works so hard, then we can no longer afford to cruise. Our personal opinion. We also believe in tipping extra to those who are outstanding, which generally includes our cabin attendant and a bartender or two, very special wait staff. 

Here is a recent article on Cruise Critic involving tipping.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=298

Something that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread, certain countries have tax laws (and I believe the Philippines is one and we all know how many crew members come from there) that tax the citizen on salary but not on tips. A Philippino would be required to be paid more than their tip rate to break even after taxes if they were paid all in salary. 

• Like 1