Two St. Thomas questions: dock and time

1964IceCreamLady

We are sailing on the Koningsdam into St. Thomas on Christmas Day.  In your experiences:

1) The information from several sources lists our dock as Crown Bay.  What are the chances that that remains the case?   50/50?  20/80? 80/20?  Total crap shoot?

2) Does the ship use local time or stay on Fort Lauderdale time ("ship time")?

We want to rent a car and time a fishing trip excursion.  Thanks!!

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

1 hour ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

2) Does the ship use local time or stay on Fort Lauderdale time ("ship time")?

With few exceptions, HAL adjusts ship time to be the same as local time.  St Thomas stays on AST (Atlantic Standard Time) all year, so ship time will be one hour ahead of FL time on Christmas day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

With few exceptions, HAL adjusts ship time to be the same as local time.  St Thomas stays on AST (Atlantic Standard Time) all year, so ship time will be one hour ahead of FL time on Christmas day.

And the exceptions are VERY rare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

With 5 ships in port (Crown Bay 2, West India Co. 3) it's highly unlikely you'll see a change.

Yes - I missed in the original posting that they will be arriving on Christmas day.  We will be visiting twice in January on the KDam and the schedule shows we will NOT be at Crown Bay.

For what it's worth:  We docked in Havensight with Koningsdam Nov 30th with 5 ships in port.  Nieuw Amsterdam was docked in Crown Bay the same day.   I recommend a back-up plan with phone contacts etc., in case when you arrive there is a change in berth, which can always happen.  have a great, memorable Christmas Day!  m--

On 11/28/2018 at 11:08 AM, CruiserBruce said:

And the exceptions are VERY rare.

I feel like on past PCL cruises we've been on on the Mex Riviera, they didn't change the ships time for the call in Puerto Vallarta as the time zone boundary lies only a few miles northwest of the city.  But as you said, it's rare.

2 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I feel like on past PCL cruises we've been on on the Mex Riviera, they didn't change the ships time for the call in Puerto Vallarta as the time zone boundary lies only a few miles northwest of the city.  But as you said, it's rare.

We aren't talking PCL here...their policy may vary.

11 hours ago, Radbooks said:

Is West India Co. dock the original dock and Crown Bay the new(er) one? I'm on the N. Statendam on 12/27 and it says West India dock. Only 2 ships in on that day! 🙂

Yes, the West India Co. docks are the original docks and are located at Havensight Point on the southeast side of Long Bay near the aerial tramway to Paradise Point on Flag Hill.