Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ubarrow

Extra charges after voyage

Recommended Posts

About 3 weeks after returning from a mid-winter QM-2 transatlantic voyage I found a late charge of $70 for pool towels on my credit card.  We didn't recall ever seeing any pool towels in our cabin.  Now we always check!  I contacted Cunard and they told us the pool towels were reported missing from our cabin two days before we got off the ship.  Why did no-one speak to us at the time?  Cunard had no answer.  Anyway, the cost of the towels was soon reimbursed.  But that wasn't the end of the story.  About a month after being reimbursed we received a very threatening letter from Cunard in the USA (we live in the UK) saying we would be taken to court in 7 days' time if payment wasn't received for the pool towels.  We received the letter some 10 days after its posting date! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still happening.  ☹️

 

Disembarked the Queen Elizabeth on the 4th of February and my credit card was charged the expected amount on that date.

The next day an additional USD$8.28 was charged to my credit card.

I queried the charge with Cunard and received a very non-committal response. 

Well over a fortnight now and no further response.

Raised it with American Express and they cancelled the charge on the spot.  

Will see if I ever receive an explanation from Cunard.

 

Cheers,

 

Old Ace..🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Us too. We have queried our extra charge with Cunard but have had no reply after over two weeks. Will be trying again. Not impressed with their lack of response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have pushed this issue with customer services and have managed to get a refund but not the full amount, we were charged £3.10 but only refunded £2.85 due to the exchange rates on the day, I'm now in the process of chasing the 25 pence, I know it's such a small amount but it's my small amount. I have also received compensation in the form of onboard credit for our next cruise even though that one is with P&O.

PLEASE every one check your credit card statements and if there is an over charged charge, chase it up no matter how small the amount, and then chase up any short fall in the exchange rate. don't let them get away with this the more people complain the better chance we have of Carnival Group doing something about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

 

booked my first cruise so trying to find out all I need to know before going. How soon after the end of the cruise do you receive the onboard bill and when does payment get taken? 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have just received our credit card bill for the cruise which ended last week.  $6.90 added and also queried visa charge of $5 each.

 

I have contacted Cunard CS this is happenind too frequently.

 

We emptied the mini bar into a box the steward provided and out it  under the bed and placed our own bottles in the fridge. So will be interested to know why the additional charge was made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:07 AM, Elephant1151 said:

We have just received our credit card bill for the cruise which ended last week.  $6.90 added and also queried visa charge of $5 each.

 

I have contacted Cunard CS this is happenind too frequently.

 

We emptied the mini bar into a box the steward provided and out it  under the bed and placed our own bottles in the fridge. So will be interested to know why the additional charge was made.

You may wish to ask the steward to empty the minibar on future voyages.  It might not solve the problem, but it couldn't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, majortom10 said:

I personally think and have said this previously and got roasted for saying it without proof but it is happening far too frequently with too many people to be computer or  personal error. I honestly believe there are some underhand tactics going on and with the hope that people will not notice extra charges or think it is too small to worry about.

we must be very lucky for with over 30 Cunard cruises + several with other lines it has never happened to us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said in past posts we have done 2 Cunard cruises and it's happened twice, that's a 100% record for the over charging, In my case I have just had confirmation that I will be receiving a £10 cheque in the post for there exchange rate shortfall, so when it arrives I will have been fully reimbursed for there "mistake" .

As I say check your statement and chase it up not matter how small the amount, get it credited back for you card provider.

This is happening far too often to be a mistake or if it's a genuine mistake buy the ships crew there must be a training issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update to my earlier post, #27

 

I raised a query with Cunard on the 6th of February and got a non-committal reply on the 8th of February.

 

American Express cancelled the charge on the 12th of February and advised Cunard they had until the 10th of April to respond.

As of today, neither American Express, nor myself have had any response from Cunard.

 

Not very impressive.

Cheers,

 

Oldace 🍺🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We make it a habit to stop by the purser's desk daily and ask for a printout of the charges.  We once were charged for some drinks in the Commodore Club that were actually for someone else.  We pointed this out to the Commodore Club manager and they rechecked the bar charge receipts for the previous day.   The charges were corrected on the next days billing.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have never had a billing issue with cunard.......i mainly check the bill at the end and note the charges from the spa..........my friends are like "she spent how much in 2 days" lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BobBranst said:

We make it a habit to stop by the purser's desk daily and ask for a printout of the charges.  We once were charged for some drinks in the Commodore Club that were actually for someone else.  We pointed this out to the Commodore Club manager and they rechecked the bar charge receipts for the previous day.   The charges were corrected on the next days billing.   

 

 

We do all of this too, though we dont visit the pursers office every day, we still visit several times a voyage. We also go through the final list of charges before leaving the ship, checking each receipt against the printout. Even so, we have had small extra charges added later on two of our 2018 voyages. The mount on the printout goes out, then there will be a small second charge taken separately. Very annoying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be the only one on this board who hasn't  had any  'regular additional charges to my  account after I've I arrived home'. I've taken 50 cruises/voyages with Cunard (about to embark on the 51st) and only once have I incurred an additional charge, and for this there was a satisfactory explanation . The late return of a Bar receipt  to the night auditor, the evening prior to disembarkation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s a relatively recent occurrence. The last couple of years or so. Certainly it’s happened to us on our last two cruises, both in QG and both for water! Which we know is at no charge! They were extremely rude to me when I pointed this out and although they promised to refund, they didn’t!

 

Next time I shan’t be as much of a pushover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, newjoisey said:

is four dollars and thirty seven cents  correct ? not a misprint ?

It does not matter how much that has been deducted, if it is wrong, it’s wrong.

I always keep every receipt of all my purchases, and keep a running total while on ship. We have been charged once for wine, which we never purchase, when they checked, it was another person with the same surname, and I must admit the signature was very similar to mine. It also works the other way I was credited with a cash amount , which was not ours, we  went to the pursers office, they checked and found it was a mistake and thanked me, later that day we received  a bottle of liquor delivered to our cabin. If we are entitled we will have it, but if not we will tell them also. We should also remember we all make mistakes.🍷🥃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, RJChatsworth said:

About 3 weeks after returning from a mid-winter QM-2 transatlantic voyage I found a late charge of $70 for pool towels on my credit card.  We didn't recall ever seeing any pool towels in our cabin.  Now we always check!  I contacted Cunard and they told us the pool towels were reported missing from our cabin two days before we got off the ship.  Why did no-one speak to us at the time?  Cunard had no answer.  Anyway, the cost of the towels was soon reimbursed.  But that wasn't the end of the story.  About a month after being reimbursed we received a very threatening letter from Cunard in the USA (we live in the UK) saying we would be taken to court in 7 days' time if payment wasn't received for the pool towels.  We received the letter some 10 days after its posting date! 

This is a good example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve done twenty cruises with four lines including three with Cunard (one was a b2b) I’ve only been charged after leaving the ship twice and both times it was Cunard, the first time I queried it, it’s was about $12 and was told it was a credit card fee for what I owed on my onboard account! What!? I politely told the adviser that wasn’t correct at all and he went away to find out, came back and said no sorry he was wrong it was for the mini bar, we hadn’t used it and so he said he would query it with the ship. I heard nothing after that.

 

Next time I did a b2b, after the first cruise was ok, we were after all still on the ship but when we got home after the second cruise we had again been charged, I think it was $6, I didn’t chase it although I knew it wasn’t correct. Just didn’t have time tbh

 

It makes me wonder how much money Cunard illegally gathers like this, it’s never happened to me on any other line, how many people don’t bother to complain or don’t notice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

I’ve done twenty cruises with four lines including three with Cunard (one was a b2b) I’ve only been charged after leaving the ship twice and both times it was Cunard, the first time I queried it, it’s was about $12 and was told it was a credit card fee for what I owed on my onboard account! What!? I politely told the adviser that wasn’t correct at all and he went away to find out, came back and said no sorry he was wrong it was for the mini bar, we hadn’t used it and so he said he would query it with the ship. I heard nothing after that.

 

Next time I did a b2b, after the first cruise was ok, we were after all still on the ship but when we got home after the second cruise we had again been charged, I think it was $6, I didn’t chase it although I knew it wasn’t correct. Just didn’t have time tbh

 

It makes me wonder how much money Cunard illegally gathers like this, it’s never happened to me on any other line, how many people don’t bother to complain or don’t notice!

There is something very wrong happening. The amounts individually are usually small, but added together, they must be substantial, and small or otherwise, they are just plain wrong!

 

They told me they are aware people are discussing it on Social Media - but just don’t seem to care!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

There is something very wrong happening. The amounts individually are usually small, but added together, they must be substantial, and small or otherwise, they are just plain wrong!

 

They told me they are aware people are discussing it on Social Media - but just don’t seem to care!

But how many are charged and dont discuss it or are not on social media  and dont query it with Cunard so money is being made by fraudulent means. Been going on far too long and also on P&O so needs to be sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But how many are charged and dont discuss it or are not on social media  and dont query it with Cunard so money is being made by fraudulent means. Been going on far too long and also on P&O so needs to be sorted.

I couldn’t agree more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a cruise in March on QE we have had the same problem. Charges which were signed for agreed with invoice presented onboard so didn't query amount. The day after our credit card was charged a further amount of $US6.90. We emailed Cunard but only received an automated reply. Further correspondence from us has received no reply so we have handed the matter over to our bank.  These discrepancies can't all be accidental.

Edited by grussellt
incorrect words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...