Electronic Devices settings on board and in port

BIGADORF

On 11/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, BIGADORF said:

Between my wife and I we have iPhones, iPads and Apple Watch. We can purchase international calling for $5-10 dollars per day from our carrier, while in port. Having read several posts, I am confused as to what the device settings should be. We are Platinum members , who will get some complimentary internet minutes, cruising a East to West ocean to ocean Panama Canal Cruise.

I have read conflicting posts about what settings we should be using for the devices, including but not limited to airplane settings, auto updates, wi-fi settings etc. I am looking for some input from people who have had experience on board and in port.

Thank you.

There are 3 classes of connectivity aboard:

Intranet:  Free.  Princess@Sea for Patters, folio balances, https://princess.com, etc.  Doesn't reach off the ship.

Internet:  Connection to the global internet.  Loyalty perk minutes or purchased plan.

Cellular:  Ship's cell tower with piratical rates unless your cellular provider has an arrangement for cheaper.

Cellular doesn't cost anything unless you make or receive a voice call or use data, but you'll likely want to turn

Airplane Mode to ON just in case.

With most smartphones, you'll need to turn WiFi back ON because turning ON Airplane Mode turns it OFF.

(the reverse isn't true:  turning WiFi back ON does not turn Airplane Mode back OFF)

Smartphones with "WiFi Calling" will let you make and receive cellphone calls via the internet, bypassing

the ship's cell tower and it's charges.  You device has to be logged on to the ship's internet, chewing up

your complementary minutes for it to work.  It's feels so exactly like making cell calls at home that I keep

checking that I'm still in Airplane Mode and not racking up ship's cell tower charges.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:44 AM, lmcgrail said:

Does anyone have any experience with 1-800 numbers while on cruise ship? I've added the Cruise Package from AT&T and will need to contact companies from which I only have the 1-800 numbers. 

Thanks,

Lori

Simple answer:  The calls will go through, but the owner of the 800 number only pays for the connection from

them to the satellite uplink.

Longer answer: If you happen to be on a ship with a UK, Australian, etc, "presence", the 800 number will not

route, but AFAIK all Princess cell towers have a "presence" in the North America country code.

As always, call Princess several times and average the answers.  😉

8 hours ago, Haboob said:

There are 3 classes of connectivity aboard:

Intranet:  Free.  Princess@Sea for Patters, folio balances, https://princess.com, etc.  Doesn't reach off the ship.

I have connected to ship wifi in the parking garage adjacent to berth 2 in FLL.

10 hours ago, pablo222 said:

I've connected to the ship WiFi from a few blocks away in some ports. There were no big buildings in the way but I was still quite surprised.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I've connected to the ship WiFi from a few blocks away in some ports. There were no big buildings in the way but I was still quite surprised.

Now wouldn't it be great if you had that same great connectivity when in your cabin.

That's what we do, turn off data roaming but not airplane mode and that will still allow you to send and receive calls and  texts.

Has anyone tried to log into medallionnet via their phone and use a hotspot to connect to other devices while having data roaming turned off?  Not sure if that work work or not.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:31 AM, pablo222 said:

> Intranet:  Free.  Princess@Sea for Patters, folio balances, https://princess.com, etc.  Doesn't reach off the ship.

Likely so.  But, in context, you'd not recommend relying on it to connect to some generic onshore website from

on board, now would you?

Haboob, some months back you provided a teriffic treatise on shipboard steerable receiving antenna that included signal strength heat maps from across the globe. I’m remembering your comment about strong signals from Southampton down to the Falklands. 

If you still have that information would you please repost it?

Thank you!

20 hours ago, Haboob said:

Likely so.  But, in context, you'd not recommend relying on it to connect to some generic onshore website from

on board, now would you?

That makes no sense at all.

The discussion was about connecting to shipboard wifi.

NOT connecting to random wifi.

I think you are intentionally trying to hijack the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a somewhat old thread but maybe someone can help me.  I have Verizon and their 'International Pay  as  you Go' for a Princess ship shows a cost for phone or messaging.  So, i was assuming if i just leave my phone with it's usual settings  i  may pay for a phone call (if i answer  it) or pay for messages.   But how  would i end  up paying for data.  My impression is that it is not even available unless I log on using the Princess internet.  So, is it  really necessary to turn data roaming off on the ship or even put it in airplane mode if i want to be able to  receive text messages.  Or, do i need to turn it  off so my phone doesn't burn through power  trying to  connect to something?

9 hours ago, msled said:

I know this is a somewhat old thread but maybe someone can help me.  I have Verizon and their 'International Pay  as  you Go' for a Princess ship shows a cost for phone or messaging.  So, i was assuming if i just leave my phone with it's usual settings  i  may pay for a phone call (if i answer  it) or pay for messages.   But how  would i end  up paying for data.  My impression is that it is not even available unless I log on using the Princess internet.  So, is it  really necessary to turn data roaming off on the ship or even put it in airplane mode if i want to be able to  receive text messages.  Or, do i need to turn it  off so my phone doesn't burn through power  trying to  connect to something?

Just like when you are in your car using your cell phone to get data, when you connect to the cell phone tower on a ship, your data will flow through that and not from being on the Internet. So unless the data is turned off on your phone while on a ship, it will be utilized (at high pricing unless you have an international data plan).