Cunard latest new build

Kruserks92

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

P&O had a competition for their latest ship's name, which ended up as Iona.

Meet the winner of our ship naming competition

Cunard would probably end up with Queenie McQueenface if they tried it:classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Ken_W said:

That should probably be Queen Queenie McQueenface.

Not sure if you're aware, but the NERC Polar Research vessel submission actually got the meme wrong. Figure if people are going to riff on it, they should use the meme correctly.
To be more correct the NERC ship submission should have been "Floaty McBoatface", not just repeating the same word.

The etymology goes back to at least the 1990s, first made widely popular in the 2000 episode of "Friends" S06E18 'The One Where Ross Dates a Student' 

Ross: Oh uh, I had trouble remembering everyone’s name, so I-I kinda came up with nicknames. Like the guy on the other side of you was Smelly von Brownshirt.

Elizabeth: Oh yeah. So umm, did you have a nickname for me?

Ross: Umm, no. No.

Elizabeth: Yes you did! What was it?

Ross: Umm, it’s Cutie McPretty.

In 2004, the film 'Anchorman' further popularized the meme when Will Farrell's co-anchor, played by Christina Applegate, was introduced as a euphemism for 'Boobs' McGee, and from 2005 onwards "Grey's Anatomy" made frequent use of the 'Mc' prefix (particularly Doctors McDreamy and McSteamy).

To use the meme correctly in this context, one would have to call the new ship something like "Cunard McCruiseship" or "Newqueen McKdamclone".

Just saying ...

Edited by VintageCCG
Delete duplicate text

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Was just thinking the very same thing!

If they’re doing “Queens Regnant” they’ve only got Anne left.

However the first two Queens were named after Queens Consort and it was only a bit of ad-libbing on the day by HMQEII that got us a ship purportedly named after a Queen Regnant - though Cunard never admitted as much during her service.

QM2 was named after the first Queen Mary, liner, Queen Victoria after the Queen Regnant and Queen Elizabeth after the preceding two Queen liners. So basically they make it up as they go along.

Queen Consort names (since 1707):

Alexandra

Adelaide

Charlotte

Caroline

“If Charles, Prince of Wales, ascends the throne, his second wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, will automatically take on the title and style pertaining to the queen consort unless legislation is passed to the contrary. It has been stated, however, that it is intended that she should be styled not as a queen consort, but as "princess consort"[1] although all references to "princess consort" were removed by both Buckingham Palace and Clarence House on their respective websites by the summer of 2018.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_royal_consorts

Edited by guernseyguy
Format

6 hours ago, rog747 said:

The latest buzz/rumour for the new ship is that she will (hopefully) be named Mauretania  (the 3rd Cunard ship to be so named)

Much as I'd have loved Cunard to stick with 'Queen' for express liners (QM2 only) and Roman Provinces for slower ships (Mauretania II) I doubt the marketing folks will let that pass - it's 'Queen this' and 'Queen That' from here to eternity I fear....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SilverHengroen

Assuming an approx 18 month build time and an in-service date of mid 2022 they will have to begin construction around the end of 2020, so I’m imagining they might announce the name and some more details later this year -lest things leak out unofficially as they get moving on all the support work and documentation for the ship? 

Edited by SilverHengroen

On 1/4/2019 at 7:20 PM, majortom10 said:

Think its a foregone conclusion that it will be named Queen Anne and she is named on the ship build document that I have seen that shows all new builds up to and including 2025.

Hopefully this is a Red Herring . I've heard there is possibly that Megan Markell will be doing the naming. 😱

On 1/3/2019 at 4:55 AM, guernseyguy said:

“If Charles, Prince of Wales, ascends the throne, his second wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, will automatically take on the title and style pertaining to the queen consort unless legislation is passed to the contrary. It has been stated, however, that it is intended that she should be styled not as a queen consort, but as "princess consort"[1] although all references to "princess consort" were removed by both Buckingham Palace and Clarence House on their respective websites by the summer of 2018.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_royal_consorts

Hopefully a Cunard  ship won't be in her name.  She couldn't managed to crack the first bottle of Fizz at the naming of the Vic .  

19 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Hopefully this is a Red Herring . I've heard there is possibly that Megan Markell will be doing the naming. 😱

The document I have seen is not a Cunard document but a list of all orders for new ship builds up until 2027 and majority of ships not named but Cunard's is clearly named as Queen Anne.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:29 AM, SilverHengroen said:

Assuming an approx 18 month build time and an in-service date of mid 2022 they will have to begin construction around the end of 2020, so I’m imagining they might announce the name and some more details later this year -lest things leak out unofficially as they get moving on all the support work and documentation for the ship? 

According to the document mentioned in post number 4 above, it will be August

Ships name: Queen Anne,

Cruise Line Operator: Cunard.  Memorandum of Agreement. MoA

Hull No. 6274

GT: 113,000

Pax/max: 3,000

Month: August

Yard: Fincantieri, Monfalcone

http://www.amem.at/pdf/AMEM_Cruise-Ships-on-Order.pdf

Guest SilverHengroen
6 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Hull No. 6274

Thank you - so going by that, they will be beginning construction in the early months of 2021. Do we know roughly how long before that they’d have to have the design finalised and locked in for the contract to be signed? I have looked for the info for Koningsdam but wasn’t able to find a date for the final contract being signed.

Into to pure speculation territory from here, sometime in mid-late 2020 seems possible, so they could have a lock in date for everything to be finalised of early-mid 2020 meaning potentially some info like the Ship’s name and some interior renderings might be made available around September this year, two years after the initial announcement? 

Guest SilverHengroen
28 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Hull No. 6274

On a slightly different topic it seems from this information I was right in my earlier speculation that the 3,000 passengers was based on the maximum occupancy including third and fourth berths, not regular/ double occupancy, so it’s quite likely she will have a similar double occupancy capacity to QM2 (approx 2,700). 

• 1 month later...

Read online that supposedly the new Queen will spend a bit of time down under when she is launched. Will be trying to book a cruise on the maiden voyage when they go on sale in March 2020.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/cunard-considers-another-new-ship-for-australia/

Edited by Hilux5972
Correcting spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Ray66 - I know this thread is about Cunard but how accurate is the PDF?  Its just that we are booked on the Costa Smeralda, sailing due to be this October, but the document says delivery will now be in 2020!!