Oooops

david_sobe

I really enjoyed this interview with the Senior Vice President of NCL sales.  She explains why the "free" promos will never go away.  She slips up (tells the truth) at about the 7:15 minute mark explaining the "Free and Sea" promos are a win, win, win for everybody.  "The customers feel like they are getting something free."   She realizes what she just said and tries to back peddle.  I just thought it was a honest omission.  The marketing really does have customers thinking they are getting something for free.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I really enjoyed this interview with the Senior Vice President of NCL sales.  She explains why the "free" promos will never go away.  She slips up (tells the truth) at about the 7:15 minute mark explaining the "Free and Sea" promos are a win, win, win for everybody.  "The customers feel like they are getting something free."   She realizes what she just said and tries to back peddle.  I just thought it was a honest omission.  The marketing really does have customers thinking they are getting something for free.

Wait a minute... She said $50/PERSON port excursion credit...  Did they change that?  It was $50/room/port...

I mean, of course the cost of the "free" promos is baked into the overall cost.  NCL isn't out here to be eating losses on these things at all.  It's maybe a faux pas to be saying the quiet part out loud in an interview, but it's Marketing 101.  

The fact is though, at least for now, if you want to include an unlimited drink package NCL seems to be the best overall value in cruising.  That package is important to my wife and I, which is why we'll be taking our first Norwegian cruise in January.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Wait a minute... She said $50/PERSON port excursion credit...  Did they change that?  It was $50/room/port...

I caught that too.  She misspoke or does not understand its $50 per cabin.   It will always amaze me how defensive some people get with such a harmless post which is quite funny.  The Sr VP of NCL sales does not even know what they are offering customers with excursion spending and admits the goal is to make customers think they are getting free stuff.   NCL is upselling every aspect of the ship which is why the promos will never end.

I think I woke up the trolls but that was not my intent. I actually enjoyed the video talking about Alaska and other things.   

Edited by david_sobe

32 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

I mean, of course the cost of the "free" promos is baked into the overall cost.  NCL isn't out here to be eating losses on these things at all.  It's maybe a faux pas to be saying the quiet part out loud in an interview, but it's Marketing 101.  

The fact is though, at least for now, if you want to include an unlimited drink package NCL seems to be the best overall value in cruising.  That package is important to my wife and I, which is why we'll be taking our first Norwegian cruise in January.

Which cruise are you taking in January?

I think some of us understand that NCL WAS NOT ever going to move away from the "free" promos.  Looks like that's still the case, and a way to be more of an "all inclusive" cruise line based on your booking class.

Thanks for finding that David.  Good video!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

We dislike the mandatory promos.  It raises the overall price of the cruises.  I like buying the reasonable wine package that NCL once had.   We used to spend only about $300-400 total for alcohol for a two week cruise.   If we pick the drink package and pay the 20% gratuity, we pay almost that much just on the gratuity.  Also, cabernet is what I like and the options on the beverage package is not good.  We may still go on more NCL cruises in the future, but we will compare with other lines.  RCI doesn't bundle and we are Diamond, receiving free Happy Hour drinks from 4:30 until 8, including the MDR.  Our last NCL cruise, I brought on board our own wine, paid the corkage fees and still spent less than just the gratuity.  We do like the NCL specialty restaurants, which are moderately priced.  No doubt,, NCL is rolling in the profits on the darn bundled packages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I think some of us understand that NCL WAS NOT ever going to move away from the "free" promos.  Looks like that's still the case, and a way to be more of an "all inclusive" cruise line based on your booking class.

Thanks for finding that David.  Good video!

Andy Stuart earlier this year said "All inclusive is here to stay"  At first, I thought he was only speaking about the Sky.  But apparently that's probably what the corporates call the promos.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We dislike the mandatory promos.  It raises the overall price of the cruises.  I like buying the reasonable wine package that NCL once had.   We used to spend only about $300-400 total for alcohol for a two week cruise.   If we pick the drink package and pay the 20% gratuity, we pay almost that much just on the gratuity.  Also, cabernet is what I like and the options on the beverage package is not good.  We may still go on more NCL cruises in the future, but we will compare with other lines.  RCI doesn't bundle and we are Diamond, receiving free Happy Hour drinks from 4:30 until 8, including the MDR.  Our last NCL cruise, I brought on board our own wine, paid the corkage fees and still spent less than just the gratuity.  We do like the NCL specialty restaurants, which are moderately priced.  No doubt,, NCL is rolling in the profits on the darn bundled packages.

I  also do not want any "free"   perks.   So,  I simply pick up sail away rates.    It's interesting  comparing,  because sometimes the "perk"  rate is more than double.   My  last cruise beginning of   this  month,   I picked up for $508  and a friend had paid $1300 with the drink  package.      We did book at different times.   But the point is, we were on the same cruise,  and know some people paid  even more.   

38 minutes ago, RD29P5 said:

I never thought UBP or whatever it is now was "free", but it is a hefty discount over outright buying it.

Definitely agree.  I'm fine with costs included in a fare that includes "free stuff".  It's the sticker shock at the end of cruise that causes me heartburn.  The UBP is a great deal at the 20% tip value.  I know that I can easily (2 glasses of wine with dinner) drink that "cost".  And I see it as just that, the cost of the UBP.  NCL cruise prices are not anymore expensive to such a degree that you can find the extra's hidden in the price.  So keep the "free" stuff coming NCL.  When you shop around with the other medium tier cruise lines, you'll rarely come out ahead by time the end of the cruise is done, with NCL, most is paid up front.

20 minutes ago, Aesop081 said:

And I see it as just that, the cost of the UBP.  NCL cruise prices are not anymore expensive to such a degree that you can find the extra's hidden in the price.  So keep the "free" stuff coming NCL.  When you shop around with the other medium tier cruise lines, you'll rarely come out ahead by time the end of the cruise is done, with NCL, most is paid up front.

Not  sure  what you are looking at,   but, I see  frequently-   huge differences in the perk vs the sail away  price.     I gave my recent example above.    I  cruise at least every month.   

45 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I  also do not want any "free"   perks.   So,  I simply pick up sail away rates.    It's interesting  comparing,  because sometimes the "perk"  rate is more than double.   My  last cruise beginning of   this  month,   I picked up for $508  and a friend had paid $1300 with the drink  package.      We did book at different times.   But the point is, we were on the same cruise,  and know some people paid  even more.   

Budget Queen,

Every NCL cruise that I have priced or booked in the last two years has not had a rate stripped of the promos.  I book early, frequently soon after the cruise is announced.  I book directly with NCL and when I do, I ask about a flat, no promo rate, it is never an option.

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Budget Queen,

Every NCL cruise that I have priced or booked in the last two years has not had a rate stripped of the promos.  I book early, frequently soon after the cruise is announced.  I book directly with NCL and when I do, I ask about a flat, no promo rate, it is never an option.

Unfortunately   your booking preferences don't allow you to take advantage of the alternative rates.    My  booking style is different with the priority of snagging a great deal with a sail away rate.   The perks are worthless to me.   This does require a lot more flexibility  which I have.   

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Anyone booking a cruise should compare prices both ways. For one recent trip of mine, free-at-sea offers that I could use for things I would be sure to purchase, plus OBC in a Latitudes Insider offer, made a rate with the offers a better value than sailaway. That is not very common but it is worthwhile to do the math.

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Not  sure  what you are looking at,   but, I see  frequently-   huge differences in the perk vs the sail away  price.     I gave my recent example above.    I  cruise at least every month.   

On sail away I guess is the exception.  But there are not many sail away bookings per ship compared to "reserved rooms".  I myself want nothing less than a balcony, and while a sail away may get me an ideal cabin, I could also get a " Please note that the view from your balcony may be fully obstructed or partially obstructed. Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation."   I don't want to risk a cabin with the pool deck above me, a kitchen, or night club.  This is what you get for less imho, not just the perks, although I agree the perks are priced in.  And I said that before, so long as I know up front and it meets the budget I can live with it.  There was a time when you purchased cars that required you to buy everything, including the passenger side mirror, radio, etc.  Now we all just pay the package (trim levels).  That's how I see NCL pricing with perks.   A trim level.  

And the part about the prices being the same was meant to be compared to getting comparable rooms and benefits, in packages or over the length of the cruise as other cruise lines.  e.g.  A cocktail, couple glasses of wine and an aperitif with dinner can run 35 to 40 bucks per person.  For the UBP "perk" this makes paying more for the room instantly desirable.  And yes that's how I do supper.  I know I'll go on an excursion or two, so why not get that 50 bucks in my pocket.  All I'm saying is at the end of the cruise I want to walk off not cursing about how my account balance was 1200 bucks after a week at sea and that's not including the voluntold service fees.  

Edited by Aesop081
Addition

19 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Adding a UBP and a dinning package to a sail away booking for a 7 day cruise will cost an additional $780 per person compared to a 2 item free at sea offer.  I don't think I have seen that big a delta in the sail away pricing.  

20 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I am with you on this.

I do not remember from a long time back, but of recent, I have seen sailaway rates stripped of the perks. And these rates are way lower than the "with Perks" rates. So we decided not to pay for other people's drinks! LOL!:classic_biggrin: