Live from Nieuw Statendam Premier Voyage, December 2018

Vict0riann

20 hours ago, Vict0riann said:We were late to the party after the Pinnacle, and they had run out of most of the goodies, but I will put a string of beads in my bag, and will give it to you when next I see you.  (Mass?)

We have some goodies for you!  

Susan Thomas

Edited by NCnurse

11 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Ladies, I'm just planning ahead for a future cruise.  Can you recommend  a good place to be for a "wave" from the FLL webcam guys?  Has to be port side.  Thank you!

I’m not sure where would be best.  You could go aft near the Seaview pool.  I’ll take a look after breakfast.  Sometimes I used to think the PTZ cameras focussed best amidships, but they have installed new cameras that do well anywhere.  The sail away party when we left Rome was - I say - around the Lido pool, but Pat said around the Seaview Pool.  It was 10 days ago!

16 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Great reports and wonderful pictures.

One would think that if the Grand Dutch Cafe opens at 7 AM they would have something to eat at that time.

And they do!   I was wrong - they have those cups of yogurt and granola, and croissants.  It’s just the kitchen that doesn’t open until 11:30.  Someone said this morning that they wished they had the uitsmijter earlier!

11 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

On the left: a combo of egg yolk, alcohol, sugar and milk, called Advocaat ("lawyer", the name is a mystery). On the right, I guess whipped cream. Besides my grandma in the eighties I'm not sure I've ever seen someone have it.

I object to the glass. It should be much smaller, filled to the max, with whipped cream on top. You're supposed to eat this with a little spoon.  

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

It is a Dutch liqueur which is beaten up with egg and comes in a little glass with a pot of whipped cream on the side.  It’s like an alcoholic pudding. It is yummy!

Thank you both!  Only one more question - is the egg cooked?  Otherwise, it sounds wonderful!  

And, thank you, Ann, for posting the daily schedule.  The Grand Dutch Cafe opens an hour earlier than the Explorations Cafe, but doesn't have the same specialty coffees or any food.  So, that leaves a big decision to be made:  wait for the extra hour, or don't get the coffee I really want.  So, maybe go to the Lido Market, get a pastry or something, go back to GDC and get a Latte, then go to the EC for my fancy coffee choice of the day. (Yes, that is a First World Problem, henceforth known as FWP, I know)  By that time, I will need the extra caffeine because I will be tired from going up and down, fore and aft.  :classic_wink:

Oops!  Sorry!  Just saw Ann's Answer above about the croissants.

Edited by beachbunny6
  • Haha 1

We’ve had about 24 at Sit and Stitch every sea day.  Same today.

12 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Ladies, I'm just planning ahead for a future cruise.  Can you recommend  a good place to be for a "wave" from the FLL webcam guys?  Has to be port side.  Thank you!

AQ, I had a look on our deck (11) and there is the jogging track there which is open.  Best access is up the forward elevators.

4D1139FC-F493-4312-8505-9C0846A92A94.thumb.jpeg.8bf563e44372cb733494912ef921e3d9.jpeg

Here is what the jogging track looks like

C1DAFD44-5030-40F8-8F50-B1B6951F6C94.thumb.jpeg.2044412dffa7f3fd67d2ab10e94d6ab2.jpeg

but I still think that the aft open Seaview pool area would be best.  It’s not a large area, so it would depend on how many you are.

D1F52B4A-2228-416C-A70B-5855F4476982.thumb.jpeg.fa548d32b8cea42892cac7dab024c2fd.jpeg

or or a third option would be up one deck from the Seaview pool- the stairs are in the glassed-in area, so you end up behind the Tamarind , that has an open area, too.  2A532B85-0CBA-4E5C-9002-238FBF77CE1E.thumb.jpeg.f21ae038c7fddf43adf063de09ad15bf.jpeg

Edited by Vict0riann

Just now, Vict0riann said:

And they do!   I was wrong - they have those cups of yogurt and granola, and croissants.  It’s just the kitchen that doesn’t open until 11:30.  Someone said this morning that they wished they had the uitsmijter earlier!

Uitsmijter is delicious!

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I think the Dutch Cafe is open pretty early but no food until 11:30.

here are the coffees - nothing too fancy.

7C8DFC34-91DA-416D-BCD2-3821583B1B52.thumb.jpeg.733b4125553830870145bd87aba92c88.jpeg

But they have their own special brew, available to bring home by the bag.

Thanks again Ann and Sherita for the great thread.  We enjoy following along and look forward to our cruise on this lovely ship.

I have not scanned the entire thread but have looked at quite a few "When and Where" and have not seen any mention of "Happy Hour".  Are they held in the afternoon in the Billboard Onboard area like the Koningsdam or are they a thing of the past?

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thank you.  I would be happy with the Croissants for breakfast.

19 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Thanks again Ann and Sherita for the great thread.  We enjoy following along and look forward to our cruise on this lovely ship.

I have not scanned the entire thread but have looked at quite a few "When and Where" and have not seen any mention of "Happy Hour".  Are they held in the afternoon in the Billboard Onboard area like the Koningsdam or are they a thing of the past?

I saw Happy Hour listed for 4 PM at the Billboard and Lincoln Stage Center on a couple of Where and Whens.  Did look at all real closely.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

On the left: a combo of egg yolk, alcohol, sugar and milk, called Advocaat ("lawyer", the name is a mystery). ....................

The name of the drink is short for "advocatenborrel", or "lawyer's drink", where "borrel", as you know :classic_wink: is Dutch for a small alcoholic beverage consumed slowly during a social gathering. According to the 1882 edition of the "Woordenboek der Nederlandsche taal" (Dictionary for the Dutch language), it is "zoo genoemd als een goed smeersel voor de keel, en dus bijzonder dienstig geacht voor een advocaat, die in 't openbaar het woord moet voeren" ("it is so named as a good lubricant for the throat, and thus considered especially useful for a lawyer, who must speak in public")

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The name of the drink is short for "advocatenborrel", or "lawyer's drink", where "borrel", as you know :classic_wink: is Dutch for a small alcoholic beverage consumed slowly during a social gathering. According to the 1882 edition of the "Woordenboek der Nederlandsche taal" (Dictionary for the Dutch language), it is "zoo genoemd als een goed smeersel voor de keel, en dus bijzonder dienstig geacht voor een advocaat, die in 't openbaar het woord moet voeren" ("it is so named as a good lubricant for the throat, and thus considered especially useful for a lawyer, who must speak in public")

Thanks! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1