Live from Seabourn Encore - Bali to Sydney December 2018

Stickman1990

Welcome to our "Live from" thread, I am a first timer on Seabourn and looking forward to this 18 day cruise from Bali down the east coast of Australia to Sydney from 3 to 21 December 2018

We live in Australia and have done a similar itinerary (in reverse) a few years ago on Crystal Symphony so the ports are not so important for us - it is the pleasure of cruising and experiencing a new line which and a relatively new ship which attracted us to this cruise

I hope others on this cruise (there is a relatively active roll call) join in and post their comments and photos as well

Seabourn's website and itinerary for the cruise is @ https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/P8H18A/7879.html - note that the itinerary has changed and Sengigi on Lombok has been dropped due to the recent earthquake on the island and we will be staying in port in Benoa, Bali overnight the first night and sailing out for Komodo on the second night

Whilst it's our first time on Seabourn we do cruise regularly on Crystal so it will be interesting to make the comparison between the two lines and the luxury experience and I will be commenting on that in my posts. From what I've read there are definitely differences - and I expect that but given that both are luxury lines I believe a comparison is a reasonable thing to include and will hopefully assist others when making the comparison to try another line

So starting off with the pre cruise experience:

Booking: We book through a TA and so are pretty much insulated from the process - but from our perspective it was smooth and without issue. We booked an entry level guaranty and as all suites include a verandah it is really a question of which deck you are assigned. We received our allocation a couple of weeks out from departure and were happy to receive a V5 suite on Deck 7 - a nice upgrade over the entry level - thank you to the Upgrade Fairy who has also looked after us on a number of Crystal Cruises. It's a tie between the two

Online Pre Registration:  Seabourn's website seems to be going through a refurbishment (sound familiar for those of you familiar with Crystal) and was very clunky and confusing to navigate - eventually I got setup as a new guest and was able to place orders for alcohol preferences for our suite (two bottles initial supply) and book a couple of dinners at the Thomas Keller Restaurant (the only specialty restaurant you can pre book). We could also have booked Shore Excursions as well but as Seabourn require payment upfront at the time of booking whereas Crystal allow you to book and then charge your onboard account at the time you actually take them - as we've been to most of these ports before including visiting the Komodo Dragons the Shorex tours are not a high priority for us, I may book something once onboard. The nice thing about Seabourn's system is it does treat you as a guest and so multiple cruise bookings can be accessed from the single login to the portal - on Crystal you are treated like a booking and need to log in separately for each reservations. Despite that the overall navigability and ease of use of the Crystal PCPC wins over Seabourn's klunky system - a win to Crystal

Documentation: We don't normally bother receiving hard copies of the documentation - we get the ticket emailed to us and present that at embarkation - but we are familiar with the contents of the pack that Crystal provide. The Seabourn pack which comes in a nice compendium is very good with a personalised printed itinerary and background information specific to the cruise, 4 leatherette baggage tags, 4 per guest personalised pre printed luggage label with room number (like airline luggage labels). Very impressive and a win to Seabourn 

So now we just have to get to Bali  - we fly out on Qantas tomorrow on a 6 hour flight and then embark the next day. Of course we're looking forward to boarding but it will be different for us on Seabourn as normally we know the routine and things that need to be done on day 1 on Crystal to set ourselves up for the cruise - so no queuing for specialty restaurant bookings or arranging Magic Castle Show tickets, we really are going to be newbies...

Seabourn Bali to Sydney.jpg

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

We've done this Itinerary twice, although starting from Singapore each time, which adds a couple of days but it's our home port so it's great to cab it from the house and get on the ship.  Looking forward to your observations as a first-timer on Seabourn but don't write too much, you're supposed to be on vacation.

Might pass you in the airport as we're also off to Bali tomorrow, except we're staying there for a week. I don't remember the last time we did land-based vacation .. not quite sure how they work any more .. where am I supposed to go to eat? 😁

Have fun

• Haha 1

Right on Stickman, enjoy the cruise, look forward to seeing and hearing about the travels. Then when your done, we’ll jump onboard in Sydney and carry the good times through to Auckland. We have a enjoyed a couple Crystal cruises and enjoy them just as well.

Aloha,

Willi

• Like 1

Haha, and sometime in March we’ll pick up Seabourn in Auckland and head to Sydney. BTW, hope you have a lovely cruise, Stickman1990. We started out with Crystal and then switched to newer ships like the Regent Explorer, Viking Ocean and soon the Encore. Perhaps you’re familiar with the Australian cruise line, Scenic ... unfortunately, our cruise on the Scenic Eclipse never materialized, as the building of the mega yacht encountered significant delays. So sometimes ‘new’ is not always better.

• Like 1

Bon voyage Stickman!  I agree with your scorecard thus far on Seabourn vs Crystal and I'll be interested in your further observations.  I'm particularly keen on hearing your impressions of Encore and of this itinerary, since we'll be doing a similar cruise on Encore in a few months.  SB and Crystal are our favorite cruise lines and we go back and forth between them depending on timing or itinerary.  I hope you enjoy your foray onto SB and can add another option to your cruising future.

Can I ask a favour?  I'd love to know if SB will allow guests to go ashore on Komodo Island if they booked private tours that meet the National Park's requirements. I know it was OK in the past, but SB recently added a line for Komodo on our booking confirmation which states there will be no port access for guests who do not participate in SB shorex or Ventures by SB.  That's stronger language than they used when we initially booked.  We have a private tour booked and I don't want any unpleasant surprises.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Can I ask a favour?  I'd love to know if SB will allow guests to go ashore on Komodo Island if they booked private tours that meet the National Park's requirements. I know it was OK in the past, but SB recently added a line for Komodo on our booking confirmation which states there will be no port access for guests who do not participate in SB shorex or Ventures by SB.  That's stronger language than they used when we initially booked.  We have a private tour booked and I don't want any unpleasant surprises.  Thanks!

Easy - that ones been a hot topic on our roll call @ 

- check it out as several have got confirmation from Seabourn that private tours are ok provided they are accompanied by a National Parks guide. So looking good - and I'll report back if it doesn't work out when we actually get there 

Thanks for your kind wishes and just let me know if there's anything I can find out and answer for you 

• Like 1

That was fast!  Thanks Stickman, I'll check out your RC.  I sent an email to SB yesterday but haven't heard back yet, but PantherBarb booked with the same provider as we did, so it looks promising.  I mean, why overpay to trek a few km in the blistering heat to see these foreboding creatures?  Sometimes I wonder why we're planning to go ashore at all! 

Now for the important stuff ... best of luck with your G&T onboard.  Hopefully SB has stocked some Fever Tree for you!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MightyQuinn said:

Now for the important stuff ... best of luck with your G&T onboard.  Hopefully SB has stocked some Fever Tree for you!

You know me too well - and yes on the mixer preference - but more to the point what Gins will they have available? - I know they have Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks so I will definitely survive. My bodies going to have enough of a challenge adapting to a new brand of champagne

I agree you "have to do the Dragons" at least once - they are impressive in their habitat - but yes it is very hot on the island so take water and dress appropriately. I've done it so it will be yet another sea day for us (and that is perfectly fine!) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

You know me too well - and yes on the mixer preference - but more to the point what Gins will they have available? - I know they have Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks so I will definitely survive. My bodies going to have enough of a challenge adapting to a new brand of champagne

Complimentary gins on Odyssey in September 
. Bombay Sapphire
. Tanqueray 10
. Hendricks

Premium (extra charge)
. Monkey 47 London Dry

I'd guess Encore would be the same.  But the tonic is vile.

Hello Stickman 1990!  I saw your post on the Crystal forum so came over here to start reading your posts for this trip.  I enjoy your style of sharing information and balanced reviews.  I too have been curious about Seabourn.  Thanks again for your suggestions for my visit to Sydney in April!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

I want to know things like free laundry for newbies, bottle water at gangway , water below gangway when you come back. More about the vodka as my prefer drink has vodka in it.

service.. 

is the cabin bigger than a PH on Crystal. Size of closet as PH one I need more hanging space I can reach. Half the closet I could not.

Really looking forward to this

• Like 1

Seabourn does not provide free laundry to first time cruisers. But per their loyalty program your can get free bags of laundry as one of your perks depending on how many days you have cruised.. Once you reached the Diamond level you will receive unlimited free laundry. However, as a first time, cruiser you can get a $400 per suite OBC Referral and use that to pay for your laundry. 

Bottles of water are are usually available as you exit the ship and in the courtesy tent atcthen end of the gangway. 

Edited by Chairsin

15 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

Seabourn does not provide free laundry to first time cruisers. But per their loyalty program your can get free bags of laundry as one of your perks depending on how many days you have cruised.. Once you reached the Diamond level you will receive unlimited free laundry. However, as a first time, cruiser you can get a $400 per suite OBC Referral and use that to pay for your laundry

Although you only get that option (by having a Seabourn guest provide a referral credit as we were lucky enough to have happen) if you don’t receive any other OBC credit say directly from Seabourn as part of a package offer - so it’s not a given you get the $400 ($200 in the case of a solo traveller)

To be fair there is also no free laundry on Crystal for most guests - and it’s not a loyalty perk athough you could use loyalty OBC to pay for that I guess - but on both lines there are self service laundry’s. I actually like doing the laundry - it can often be a social event

Then of course the issue of how to pay for the unlimited internet for the cruise at $400 is an issue to be considered (Unlimited internet is included on Crystal as standard) - I was saving mentioning that little gotcha until I was onboard and could comment on the internet service after I use some of my $400 for internet. I certainly won’t be spending $400 to buy the unlimited package as when in port I have local SIMs for Indonesia and of course Australia

Currently sitting in the Sydney airport lounge enjoying a quenching Apple cider on a 35 C degree day - at least the lounge internet speed is good

44FAAC87-7F4E-4FDC-B0E6-3743A3B3BC71.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

I  have sailed Crystal and know I have internet. It is the fact thst there is no water at gangway on either end that gets me. Specially when I walked  by Ncl  andDisney and Hal which all had water.  Plus it took me days to,find the cold towels.

I thought Seaborn included everything. $400 is not bad if 2 months or longer

for the record of peoole reading here it was the lack of water at gangway thstbshocked me on Crystral. I was told by the HD people thought it looked crowded yet the beach towels were there.

laundry is a sore subject with me.  I made it to the laundry room and had to go three times to wash clothes and took  them BACK wet and use the bathroom and anywhere needed to dry them. No dryer..  I thought Seaborn would offer It.

internet.. I get only so many minutes  per cruise on AZ  and find many free bars to use it.

i have had an AU card but it was only for 30 days.but it helped traveling. I would never pay fir internet unless the cruise had more sea days than port days.

So so tell us about the size of cabin abd the closet. I want to compare it to other PH,s on other ships,

But at least you get water..my butler was bringing more dail so I could gdt off the ship.

robin 

11 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Bon voyage Stickman!  I agree with your scorecard thus far on Seabourn vs Crystal and I'll be interested in your further observations.  I'm particularly keen on hearing your impressions of Encore and of this itinerary, since we'll be doing a similar cruise on Encore in a few months.  SB and Crystal are our favorite cruise lines and we go back and forth between them depending on timing or itinerary.  I hope you enjoy your foray onto SB and can add another option to your cruising future.

Mighty Quinn.   We did the same itinerary on Encore November 2017.  I can confirm Stickman’s observation that his roll call has advised all ok for Komodo Island tour with a National Park guide.   We also booked with goKomodo Tours via our roll call (around 10 pax).    It was an excellent tour with a great tour guide, plus an interesting local National Park Ranger.   And at a fraction of the cost of the crowded Seabourn excursion.  

It was a another nice Seabourn cruise, albeit a little hot and humid in Darwin, Cairns and Townsville.  

On another note Mighty Quinn, I have followed your Cruise Critic  blogs for years and appreciate your contribution to the cruise critic community.    I always remember your CC handle due to my love of the Manfred Mann song from 1968 of the same name - yep, showing my age here.     

Cheers.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Stickman if you would like to shout me a drink on board we might let you checkout a Penthouse suite 😀

It will be my pleasure - see you tomorrow for the drink and look forward to inspecting the PH Suite and seeing how the other half live - that’s if they let those of us in steerage up to your level :-)

The Indonesian Immigration authorities have let us into the country so we will see you on the ship  (still waiting for our bags though). Have to say we were most impressed to be directed to a special line at immigration for over 60’s - nice and short and quick - if only other countries made special provision for us seniors - lol - it’s one of the first times I’ve been able to use my recently acquired age status to my advantage 

Business class on the Qantas flight had a good number of guests joining the cruise tomorrow - being a Boeing 737 there were only 11 of us there (1 spare seat) 

I was pleased to find Qantas served the champagne that Crystal serves on board - so a few glasses of that got me in the cruising spirit

The meals were ok - there’s a limit to what they can achieve on flights 

123471DD-D103-4D3C-B1B9-8CCAF2CCEABF.jpeg

B6F8F9CC-6832-4E50-8ABA-4BD8505C294F.jpeg

F73996C4-D89F-4274-8FEB-8CFA869099A6.jpeg

D84A331B-E99B-4611-976C-2044F11543C0.jpeg

Elbon

I may have misunderstood your laundry question. I assumed you were asking about the laundry service - not the guest laundry room. Seabourn does have a laundry room with washers and dryers and an ironing board for complimentary guest use. Other than an occasional touch up with iron I don’t use it so I can’t say how efficient the washers and dryers are. I find Seabourn’s laundry service to be excellent - everything comes back pressed and on hangers or folder and wrapped in tissue in a wicker basket. When I’m on Seabourn I’m on vacation and the last thing I want to do is laundry. 

As to internet I have found it to be painfully slow on most cruises and often I can’t get on in my suite and have to go to the Square to get on line. But with unlimited service for me while it is inconvenient it is not a negative financially. I have heard that if you buy a limited time package and have problems with slow service Guest Services is  good about giving you more minutes to compensate. 

• Like 1

Seeing as the topic of Internet has been raised here’s the pricing options for Seabourn 

Pay as you go: 40 cents per minute

Packages - If you have a Seabourn Club Internet Benefit - the discount will be applied after your selection

Diamond Extended - $399.95 for the duration of the cruise - unlimited

Diamond - $239.95 for 7 days - unlimited

Platinum - 4 hours of access - $39.95

Gold - 3 hours of access  - $29.95

Silver - 2 hours of access - $19.95

I suspect I’ll succumb and use some of my OBC to purchase 4 hours of access and revert to the old approach of preparing material offline then pasting it across when online 

It is dissapointing in this day and age that internet access is not provided as one of the inclusions 

I’ve noted Chairsin’s comments re quality of the service and will be interested to see what happens on our cruise as we’re not in a difficult area for satellite coverage