Discovery has electrical problems causing delays.

8 hours ago, jake 26 said:

Discovery was doing over 20 knots down the Red Sea prior to the malfunction.

That's good news, 20 knots suggest a full recovery. These boats are really worked hard. My Tui catalogue (not the most up-to-date) runs from Nov '17 to the end of April 2019. The only gap I can see in her busy schedule, is 20 days in Oct/Nov '18, where dry-docking was possible. That's just 3 weeks in 18 months of cruising. Anyway, we'll be on her for 2 weeks from 21st March. Looking forward to it 🙂

3 hours ago, kane20 said:

Received a email today from TUI claiming that the 15h 26m flight delay to join this ship was due to bad weather nothing to do with problems with the ship unbelievable!   

I was at reception when a lady asked about the flight delay. She was told the aircraft was available to fly but, as the ship's arrival was delayed by 12 hours because of the power failure, the aircraft's departure was rescheduled to the following day.

She was told the 2/3 refund covered that.

Bad weather never entered into it though!

Had a long delay on a TUI flight a couple of years ago used resolver template which is free on line . Was paid full EU Compensation first time of asking within a few weeks .Might be worth looking at .

Had to admit it was excellent service for once from TUI.

These are not flight delays, so quite possible not covered by that specific legislation that applies to airlines. 

Airline can just say no one turned up you missed your flight. 

Package holiday regs and ATOL do apply. 

Edited by insidecabin

We boarded the ship on the 30th November, having been told the problems started on the 28th November however the crew told us the initial massive electrical failure occurred on the 21st November! Can anyone cast any further light on this?? 

3 hours ago, Samm1 said:

We boarded the ship on the 30th November, having been told the problems started on the 28th November however the crew told us the initial massive electrical failure occurred on the 21st November! Can anyone cast any further light on this?? 

That's odd. We boarded on the 22nd and there was no indication of any problems. In fact after we sailed on the 23rd we were speeding down the Red Sea at over 20 knots and after we had gone through the infamous Straits we were a few hours ahead of schedule.

The major failure was on the 28th at 0330.

Maybe there was another failure on the 21st and they thought they'd fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, insidecabin said:

21st Nov the ship was docked in Aqaba for 3 days

There was nothing sinister about the ship being docked in Aqaba for 3 days, that was the scheduled itinerary.  When docked in Aqaba on 21st we took a trip to Petra,  22nd when it was changeover day for some passengers we had a lovely day in the sunshine wandering Aqaba, having a drink and a bite to eat, and 23rd we disembarked for our journey home. 

Yes there were electrical problems earlier on in the week but it did not interrupt the speed of the ship as we were doing over 20+ knots most of that week due to the area we were passing through.  One night shortly after the show started the lights went on in the theatre.  The comedian, Peter Piper, found himself with a situation which he had never had before and did most of his show with the lights on but this did not detract from his act as he used it to his advantage.

I was on Discovery during the severely disrupted Adventure to India cruise but thought the offer of a 2/3 refund was reasonable.

However, I've been back over three weeks now and no sign of a refund, despite being told to expect it within 7 - 14 days.

I would be interested to know if anyone has been refunded yet for their disrupted Authentic Arabia or Adventure to India cruise.

6 hours ago, DAZNICH said:

I was on Discovery during the severely disrupted Adventure to India cruise but thought the offer of a 2/3 refund was reasonable.

However, I've been back over three weeks now and no sign of a refund, despite being told to expect it within 7 - 14 days.

I would be interested to know if anyone has been refunded yet for their disrupted Authentic Arabia or Adventure to India cruise.

We;re still waiting for ours (Authentic Arabia) but know people on the cruise who have had theirs. We booked through an independent TA who has obtained a case number for our claim and was told they are refunding in order. First off is the ppl who paid online and then presumably by deck. He said to expect it sometime in January direct from TUI, not the TA, but could not be more precise. They will be refunding us on the credit card given to them when we boarded. I could not say about Adventure to India ppl as to when they can expect theirs.

43 minutes ago, kane20 said:

Received my refund on Friday after many phones calls all of which gave a different reason way it hadn't being paid.   

10 hours ago, lexdisic said:

We;re still waiting for ours (Authentic Arabia) but know people on the cruise who have had theirs. We booked through an independent TA who has obtained a case number for our claim and was told they are refunding in order. First off is the ppl who paid online and then presumably by deck. He said to expect it sometime in January direct from TUI, not the TA, but could not be more precise. They will be refunding us on the credit card given to them when we boarded. I could not say about Adventure to India ppl as to when they can expect theirs.

We were on the Eastern Sunrise 1, the plane arrived in Dubai on Dec 6th 2018. We were called  from TUI the day before (at a Gatwick hotel) on the 5th of Dec to say the Discovery were experiencing problems. We were promised a 1/3 off refund within 7 to 14 days if we continued our cruise, we accepted. Date today is January the 6th and so far we have received no refund, 31 days later! 

We were on the Eastern Sunrise 1, the plane arrived in Dubai on Dec 6th 2018. We were called  from TUI the day before (at a Gatwick hotel) on the 5th of Dec to say the Discovery were experiencing problems. We were promised a 1/3 off refund within 7 to 14 days if we continued our cruise, we accepted. Date today is January the 6th and so far we have received no refund, 31 days later! 

27 minutes ago, Frankie705 said:

I have looked at my letter I received on board and it stated that refunds will be paid within 28 working days from 5th December. Due to the Christmas break, that means we will receive ours by 23rd of January. I can only assume that due to the scale of this, there will probably be some 4000 claims, so someone has to be at the back of the queue. Giving you a 7-14 day window was probably a bit optimistic considering ours was a 28 day window and the number of claims involved.

TUI are notoriously slow at these things but I'm not particularly worried that I may not get it - I'm sure I will.  I had a 14 day all inclusive cruise in an OV cabin for £500 - one happy bunny here.

48 minutes ago, lexdisic said:

I have looked at my letter I received on board and it stated that refunds will be paid within 28 working days from 5th December. Due to the Christmas break, that means we will receive ours by 23rd of January. I can only assume that due to the scale of this, there will probably be some 4000 claims, so someone has to be at the back of the queue. Giving you a 7-14 day window was probably a bit optimistic considering ours was a 28 day window and the number of claims involved.

TUI are notoriously slow at these things but I'm not particularly worried that I may not get it - I'm sure I will.  I had a 14 day all inclusive cruise in an OV cabin for £500 - one happy bunny here.

I've checked our letter from TUI dated 6th Dec which was placed in our cabin and it says 7 to 14 days.

However we have just talked to TUI on 020 3451 2688. They now inform us, payment will not be paid back into our account but  we should now receive a cheque within the next 3 days! Fingers Crossed! We'll let you know!

1 hour ago, lexdisic said:

9 minutes ago, Frankie705 said:

I've checked our letter from TUI dated 6th Dec which was placed in our cabin and it says 7 to 14 days.

However we have just talked to TUI on 020 3451 2688. They now inform us, payment will not be paid back into our account but  we should now receive a cheque within the next 3 days! Fingers Crossed! We'll let you know!

Thanks to all those who responded to my earlier post regarding the Marella refund.  

As Franki705 says, 'TUI are notoriously slow at these things' but I am reassured to hear that some passengers have received or are about to receive their refund, as promised by Marella. 

To those who are still waiting, myself included, I guess we'll just have to sit back and wait.  In the meantime I'm on the hunt for a suitable cruise to 'reinvest' my refund.

7 hours ago, DAZNICH said:

Thanks to all those who responded to my earlier post regarding the Marella refund.  

As Franki705 says, 'TUI are notoriously slow at these things' but I am reassured to hear that some passengers have received or are about to receive their refund, as promised by Marella. 

To those who are still waiting, myself included, I guess we'll just have to sit back and wait.  In the meantime I'm on the hunt for a suitable cruise to 'reinvest' my refund.

We are too 🙂 - Looking at the same cruise next year, just hoping the price goes down to the same as we paid last time - here's hoping

On 1/7/2019 at 6:42 PM, lexdisic said:

We are too 🙂 - Looking at the same cruise next year, just hoping the price goes down to the same as we paid last time - here's hoping

Hi All, Just letting you know, I have today received, as promised, the full 1/3 off our holiday booking price!!

This refund was paid directly into my bank account!

We have to also say we had a fantastic time on this TUI 2 week cruise which took us from Dubai to Langkawi in Malaysia, we will be booking the last leg of this journey later on this year/early next year!

2 hours ago, Frankie705 said:

Hi All, Just letting you know, I have today received, as promised, the full 1/3 off our holiday booking price!!

This refund was paid directly into my bank account!

We have to also say we had a fantastic time on this TUI 2 week cruise which took us from Dubai to Langkawi in Malaysia, we will be booking the last leg of this journey later on this year/early next year!

Still nothing for us 😞