Btimmer's Blog of the Nieuw Statendam Inaugural Voyage

Btimmer

Orlando Asford gave an inspiring presentation about the changes over the last 4 years at Holland America and glimpses into the major programs company wide before entertaining questions.  

A key complaint presented to him was why the library is so small and his answer was that fleet wide they were losing $2.5 million dollars in books per year.

He's a charismatic presenter and appears sincere in receiving feedback. I'll write more in my blog tonight.

ED7E65C8-98DF-48A4-8263-2FA757BD1A11.jpeg

C63F4FA8-019A-45D2-8655-7C3CD38C1671.jpeg

3 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Orlando Asford gave an inspiring presentation about the changes over the last 4 years at Holland America and glimpses into the major programs company wide before entertaining questions.  

A key complaint presented to him was why the library is so small and his answer was that fleet wide they were losing $2.5 million dollars in books per year.

He's a charismatic presenter and appears sincere in receiving feedback. I'll write more in my blog tonight.

Not sure I buy or even like that official excuse about eliminating the libraries- they could control this electronically,  or work with more with passenger education, as well as working with passengers who want to leave books behind that could refill the stacks. Since many of the books are well beyond their original publication date, how did he compute this alleged $2.5 million loss?

Plus how much was saved by eliminating the librarian staffing.  Libraries cull books all the time as well as a tremendous volume of used books that enter the marketplace - this claim of $2.5 million "loss" just seems specious and ........ punitive.

What else was the big picture Ashford was offering - larger and more cumbersome and more industrial ports? Any mention about the HAL website mess or the InDepth programs on the Maasdam? Is HAL trying to compete with Celebrity and Princess, or does it recognize it has its own unique niche to enhance, exploit and expand?

Thanks for all your work on this on-going blog and hope you get more time with Ashford because you are certainly a well-experienced HAL cruiser with a keen finger on the pulse of operations from the long-standing passenger perspective. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

Let's do some numbers with a book loss of $2.5 million per year across the fleet of 15 ships.

Let's use an average price per hardcover book of $50. (high IMO but I will use it).

Dividing $2.5 million by $50. yields 50,000 books in all HAL ship's libraries

Dividing the 50,000 books by the 15 ships gives about 3300 books per ship

I don't think even one of the HAL ships has 3300 books in its library.

I find a loss of $2.5 million in books to be unbelievable and probably impossible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Let's do some numbers with a book loss of $2.5 million per year across the fleet of 15 ships.

Let's use an average price per hardcover book of $50. (high IMO but I will use it).

I find a loss of $2.5 million in books to be unbelievable and probably impossible.

I'll sell him a full library, with even current best sellers, stocking it from eBay for one fifth that price. :classic_rolleyes:

No sale, Orlando. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I agree those numbers are too high. Although they may include the staff time to needed to curate the collection in those numbers.

• Like 1

We haven't done the cabin crawl yet so I can't comment on any other rooms.  Our inside spa room is cozy but comes with a refrigerator, Bose Bluetooth speaker unit, slippers, and free vitamin water.  The shower is large but the rest of the bathroom is also cozy.  There is no couch or chair (just a stool).  The big flatscreen is nice.

The pool areas are quite nice and spacious.

Below are some pictures.

FAC27E22-3EBD-45BD-AE09-6E1DD6AD8485.jpeg

FBDF1362-BEE1-48B5-90A4-4B694EEAE2D6.jpeg

8D31C893-ED57-435C-95BA-5AB753388C47.jpeg

F22A6CC6-BFB3-4427-98CC-DB4D10A8EB70.jpeg

2AC91DF7-9E90-431B-B201-EE961F3037A3.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sea42 said:

I agree those numbers are too high. Although they may include the staff time to needed to curate the collection in those numbers.

We may not agree with him, but in a follow up conversation tonight, he's emphatic those were real book losses for the 15 ship fleet and not the inexpensive books.

For the life of me I dont know why HAL does not go the way of other cruise lines (CMV for example) where they have a "library", but stock it exclusively with "Take a book/leave a book".   (And a big sign asking the passengers to leave any books they brought on board if they are finished with them)   The trip we took, the place was bursting at the seams.....   Who wants to carry home on the plane a bunch of books you are done with and wont read again?

• Like 1

Thanks Tim for your pictures and follow up with Orlando.  I don’t want this to become a library thread but I too cannot buy it.  I think someone has convinced him.  I really wish they would emulate Cunard in this area.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I no longer use the library and strictly use my kindle for fear of the antivirus. If you've ever had it- it's not fun!

I'm very excited to board on the 23rd and doing a b2b.  Looking forward to the Dutch cafe_ Apple pie and soup. Hoping they are still serving this.

Love seeing pics

Uploading pictures to CC has been exceedingly slow to impossible during this sea day. So I put a few on my photo sharing site.  While I've been in the cabin I tried out the Bose speaker system provided us.

IMG_3055-338x450.jpg

There is also the conundrum of how to use the provided bath salts in a room with a shower.

IMG_2994-338x450.jpg

Earlier today, President's Club and 5 Star Mariners got to see the first America's Test Kitchen presentation on the World Stage. A complete new set will be installed after our stop in Ft. Lauderdale.

The intra and internet were down yesterday for 8-10 hours. My blog is updated.  See the first post for the link.

I have had the chance to converse with Captain Albert and he's cool to chat with.

27 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Uploading pictures to CC has been exceedingly slow to impossible during this sea day. So I put a few on my photo sharing site.  While I've been in the cabin I tried out the Bose speaker system provided us.

IMG_3055-338x450.jpg

There is also the conundrum of how to use the provided bath salts in a room with a shower.

IMG_2994-338x450.jpg

Earlier today, President's Club and 5 Star Mariners got to see the first America's Test Kitchen presentation on the World Stage. A complete new set will be installed after our stop in Ft. Lauderdale.

The intra and internet were down yesterday for 8-10 hours. My blog is updated.  See the first post for the link.

I have had the chance to converse with Captain Albert and he's cool to chat with.

Seems like a  'take me home' and use it  product.   We are enjoying the blogs and pictures!  thank you

27 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Hi Tim,

Just  back home from the Massdam...overall, a great cruise.  I am looking forward to your take on the New Statendam....  I do think the library loss was related to  how the area could be used for a money making space(ie. bar drinks!)