Cork and Caps as a perk for 20 year old?

SAmome

I know this has been done in the past but not sure anyone had any luck recently.  I have the drink package selected as a perk and 20 year old son shows the soda package as his perk.  

Has anyone had luck upgrading to Cork and Caps by just paying the difference in service charge?  

Thanks.

Pretty sure perk upgrade/downgrade not allowed. We don’t drink and can’t switch to soda pkg perk even though we’re in a suite and can have ubp, “free.”  It’s much less $ for us to just purchase soda pkg oop vs take the free beverage pkg with the gratuity.  

51 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

Pretty sure perk upgrade/downgrade not allowed. We don’t drink and can’t switch to soda pkg perk even though we’re in a suite and can have ubp, “free.”  It’s much less $ for us to just purchase soda pkg oop vs take the free beverage pkg with the gratuity.  

You can decline the UBP though. 

We were just on the Escape, and signed the waiver to allow our kids, 19 and 20, to drink beer and wine.  They absolutely insisted, even after checking with a supervisor, that we could not upgrade the soda package to the corks and caps package. Their reasoning was that the corks and caps package is not offered as a perk.   I was very insistent that it had been done in the past, but they would not budge.  

Another thing to let your son know ahead of time, is that he cannot order beer or wine until the ship is in international waters.  This means no sailaway drink, but by dinner we were good-to-go! 👍

Edited by albertamom

It has been done in the past. With corporate approval and parental consent, the soda promo for a 20 year-old was bumped to Corks and Caps with just the payment of the higher service charge.

If people are currently unsuccessful in their attempt (post above) at the "UBP promo to Soda Program to Corks and Caps" swap, that is unfortunate.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Can anyone point me in the direction of info about 18-20 year olds and the drink package?  I'm not even sure what to search.  My daughter will be 19, we got the UBP, but hers was automatically made a soda package.  I know that we can sign a document for her to be able to consume beer and wine.  So does this mean that she has to pay out of pocket for all beer and wine?  And she also cannot have any liquor on board the ship?  Thank you for any help you can provide, I just want to know what to expect.

I did it on our 2016 BA cruise. We were in the Haven (not sure if that makes a difference though) and we just paid the difference and signed the waiver. Easy. If it’s changed I’ll find out in a few weeks! 

Edited by HBCcruiser
Added
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bethclayton said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of info about 18-20 year olds and the drink package?  I'm not even sure what to search.  My daughter will be 19, we got the UBP, but hers was automatically made a soda package.  I know that we can sign a document for her to be able to consume beer and wine.  So does this mean that she has to pay out of pocket for all beer and wine?  And she also cannot have any liquor on board the ship?  Thank you for any help you can provide, I just want to know what to expect.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/freestyle-cruise/liquor-beverages

Partway down the page it talks about the waiver.  Even though we weren't able to upgrade, you should definitely ask when you sign the waiver.  They did tell us that we could purchase the Corks and Caps package, but we knew that they wouldn't drink enough to justify that.

At dinner every night, our server would always just take my husband's and my card and ring all 4 drinks through on them (ours and our 2 kids').  If the kids purchased drinks on their own, then yes, they would be charged to their shipboard account.

And yes, no hard liquor (so no fun tropical cocktails), just beer, wine (breakfast mimosas count!) and cider.  A great tip that I learned on Cruisecritic was that the pool bar serves frose, frozen rose wine.  My daughter loved that! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

Also be aware that a legal parent is the only accepted signature (with the 18-20 year old also signing). No aunts or other adults who happen to be over 21.  We were also told Caps & Corks was not allowed for the 18-20 year olds, and could only buy wine and beer per drink.

As it turns out, I think we were charged for about 2 of her 10 glasses of wine for the cruise.  Our waiter did the same as above at dinner - took my card for UBP, put all our drinks through.  A happy quiet nice thing.

3 hours ago, TheDougOut said:

I’ve twice upgraded the 2nd passenger from Soda to Caps & Corks by paying the service charge.  There was no hesitation - they just did it when asked.

Well, but, you are sort of a legend so it could be different.  :classic_biggrin:

Either time happen to be on the Bliss and did you need to say anything in particular?  

20 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Either time happen to be on the Bliss and did you need to say anything in particular?  

Nope - Escape and then Breakaway.  

If they give you a hard time, it might be worth showing them this - as it appears to list the promo code it was applied as...

6E473E79-F0BB-4218-9BE1-728F6E0FEF1E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can take care of this before sail while getting extra room keys or if need to wait until inside international waters? 

I understand they can’t drink until sailing 3 miles out but if short line at GS would want to get this part done if possible.

Thanks for the specific posts with pictures 👍

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

Anyone know if you can take care of this before sail while getting extra room keys or if need to wait until inside international waters? 

I understand they can’t drink until sailing 3 miles out but if short line at GS would want to get this part done if possible.

Thanks for the specific posts with pictures 👍

You can definitely take care of it all at Guest Services as soon as you board!  Have Fun!!! :classic_biggrin: