Beach Escape Beach Club?

2+2

The video link posted in another's response is the place where we were, but none of the chairs had cushions on them.  There was a pool and we had to walk across the "boardwalk/sidewalk" to get to the pool or restrooms.  I guess this is the malecon?  I could not see the lighthouse, but we passed it on the way to where we went...about 5 minutes away.  I tried to look for signs at the resort and only saw Quinto Sole hotel which I think was next to the building where we had to walk through to get the taxis.  I don't think the buildings were shipping containers.    It was not a nice quiet beach day with all the people asking you to buy things.  The sidewalk is also lined with massage therapists and one had his 4 kids there who were running around playing the whole time.  I thought they were well behaved but I can imagine some people would get upset with them running up and down to the beach.  I had to laugh when he was massaging a lady and had to keep turning and shushing them with his finger and the dad stare, while the lady was face down and had no idea what was going on...lol!  They were well dressed and I thought they were cute and not a nuisance.  Hope that helps some.

6 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

The video link posted in another's response is the place where we were, but none of the chairs had cushions on them.  There was a pool and we had to walk across the "boardwalk/sidewalk" to get to the pool or restrooms.  I guess this is the malecon?  I could not see the lighthouse, but we passed it on the way to where we went...about 5 minutes away.  I tried to look for signs at the resort and only saw Quinto Sole hotel which I think was next to the building where we had to walk through to get the taxis.  I don't think the buildings were shipping containers.    It was not a nice quiet beach day with all the people asking you to buy things.  The sidewalk is also lined with massage therapists and one had his 4 kids there who were running around playing the whole time.  I thought they were well behaved but I can imagine some people would get upset with them running up and down to the beach.  I had to laugh when he was massaging a lady and had to keep turning and shushing them with his finger and the dad stare, while the lady was face down and had no idea what was going on...lol!  They were well dressed and I thought they were cute and not a nuisance.  Hope that helps some.

Thanks that helps a lot! I posted the video. The old Snr  Frogs was between Quinto Solo and Blue Kay.

Seems confusing that some Royal Caribbean excursions seem to go there and some go to La Bamba (the shipping contsiner location!) although even the excursion desk don't seem to know where that is - I asked!

I'm glad I could help.  I think it's terrible they don't list the actual resort.  I wouldn't book it separately anyway because of worrying about getting back to the ship on time, but it would be nice to be able to look at it before you go.   Seems a little deceptive but maybe that's the way things are there.   I wasn't impressed at all with that area.  I've been to Mexico, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico before this cruise and have seen some very desolate areas and living conditions, but this area wasn't nice.  It seems that the port is the only thing around here.  

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 6:53 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Hey legs, we’ll be there a week from today.  I’ll report back on the water, sargassum, noise, cost of entry, food and drinks and whatever else I can think of.  My experience on Sundays is that there are lots of locals and their kids which we really enjoy.  Last time we were there I didn’t notice any increase in noise from next door.  Blue Key has always been our favorite  place on the malecon.  

If you have time could you please report back on the new Nacho’s Bar that seems to have opened at Blue Kay?

have they leased (and  taken) land from Blue Kay to the left (towards the port)? Also do they operate their own kitchen, or is it run through Blue Kay kitchen?

Just now, lifes-a-beach said:

Will do.  We’ll be there tomorrow.  If it’s not pouring rain I’m sure we will head to Blue Key.  We love their ceviche and I’ll get to see my kitty friend Lola.  

Thanks! Hope the weather holds up for you!

Ok, weather was perfect.  Blue Key was just as good as we always find it.  They have expanded toward the lighthouse all the way to where the rocks go out and they have always piled up the grass.  The part down there is the all inclusive.  We do not drink alcohol so we just took chairs right under the same palm trees we have many times before.  I did notice that the entry for taxis has moved closer to the lighthouse.  After you make the right it’s not more than 150 yards down.  

Taxi was $8 each way. $4 each.  It was $12 each for use of the loungers and included 2 drinks each.  Honestly I think that’s pretty reasonable.  

The beach club club immediately next door was playing music but even my wife was not bothered.  You could barely hear it.  Nothing negative to say at all.  I don’t believe there is a separate kitchen for the AI and there was plenty of help.  Our waiter was Jaime and he was excellent.  When we got ready to eat we walked up to the bar and sat at a table under the cover.  We had guacamole and ceviche, which is what we always have.  It was exactly the same as it has been for years.  Amazing.   I didn’t see anything that said Nachos Bar but in truth we didn’t venture down the malecon as we had everything we wanted right there at Blue Key. The water was beautiful, clear and almost no sargassum or seaweed.  

Overall it was one of the most enjoyable days we have spent at any beach anywhere. I have several pictures I will upload after dinner.

Edited by lifes-a-beach
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Ok, weather was perfect.  Blue Key was just as good as we always find it.  They have expanded toward the lighthouse all the way to where the rocks go out and they have always piled up the grass.  The part down there is the all inclusive.  We do not drink alcohol so we just took chairs right under the same palm trees we have many times before.  I did notice that the entry for taxis has moved closer to the lighthouse.  After you make the right it’s not more than 150 yards down.  

Taxi was $8 each way. $4 each.  It was $12 each for use of the loungers and included 2 drinks each.  Honestly I think that’s pretty reasonable.  

The beach club club immediately next door was playing music but even my wife was not bothered.  You could barely hear it.  Nothing negative to say at all.  I don’t believe there is a separate kitchen for the AI and there was plenty of help.  Our waiter was Jaime and he was excellent.  When we got ready to eat we walked up to the bar and sat at a table under the cover.  We had guacamole and ceviche, which is what we always have.  It was exactly the same as it has been for years.  Amazing.   I didn’t see anything that said Nachos Bar but in truth we didn’t venture down the malecon as we had everything we wanted right there at Blue Key. The water was beautiful, clear and almost no sargassum or seaweed.  

Overall it was one of the most enjoyable days we have spent at any beach anywhere. I have several pictures I will upload after dinner.

Great! Glad to hear you enjoyed your day. Thanks for your review.

Forgot to say there were two ships in port.  Lots of local families but at no time was it even remotely crowded.  We had maybe 5 vendors stop by but a simple “no thank you” and they moved on.  There were a few folks buying their hats and stuff which I think is very cool.  They’re out there to make a living just like the waiters.  I think sometimes it’s forgotten that “no thank you” is a complete sentence.  Same with the massage ladies.  I was asked once and politely declined.  BTW, she asked in Spanish and I declined in Spanish.  She went on with a smile. 

Oh, and we snuck out the service exit of the port by getting in line with an organized tour.  Walked right past the busses and out the gate to the taxis. They’ve put a gate on it now which I was about to open when we saw the tour group.  

And the tram was running on the long section of the pier.  We waited maybe 5 minutes for it to fill up it it was definitely worth it.

Thats all I can think of right now.  If anyone has any questions I’ll try to answer.

The thing about their food is, not only is it amazing but it’s always presented well.  I mean, they make an effort.   We go lots of places but I don’t recall anyone’s ceviche being better.  I did get some Peruvian ceviche in West End on Roatan that was amazing but it wasn’t the same as this or any Mexican ceviche.  That setup, along with 2 bottles of water, was $41 American.  Very reasonable I think.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Youtube and look up 

Nightmare excursion / Costa Maya 

It is about the La Bamba beach club. Celebrity was calling it the "beach escape beach club"  until we got on the ship. We were then notified of the change to La Bamba beach club. The youtube video is not mine.  And it actually looks better on the video than the descriptions I  got from some that went.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If you are talking about Blue Kay, Mitsugirly has photo reviews of snorkeling there in her signature.

Thanks, and yes, I've read those.  I actually was going back and forth between this and another review (for another location) and lost my place!