Pre-cruise visit for 3 or 4 days: Montreal, Quebec or both?

ams cruiser

My husband and I will be boarding the Caribbean Princess in Quebec next October for a 10-day cruise, ending in NYC.  I want to book our flights soon, possibly through Princess EZAir, and am trying to figure out our pre and post-cruise plans.  

Neither of us have been to Montreal or Quebec, and are wondering what would be the minimum number of days we might want to spend in each city.  We're looking at 4 days maximum.  (If we decide to only visit Quebec, we might shorten it to 2-3 days.)  

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and know the difficulty of hosting guests who are only here for a few days, and want to see San Francisco, Monterey, and Yosemite (with a trip to Disneyland thrown in), so I know what an impossible question this is!

I've done a bit of reading through Trip Advisor, but am hoping for issues that I haven't considered.  It appears that we can book a non-stop flight from San Francisco to Montreal, so we're leaning towards spending at least one night there.

We also considering spending a couple of days post-cruise in NYC, but that's a question for another thread!

I would appreciate any and all advice!

I would  fly into YUL  spend a couple of  nights  in Old Montreal   then take  the train or bus  to Quebec city  for a couple of  nights

There  is  enough to see & do  for longer  but this way you get a taste of each city

Enjoy

• Like 1

We've been to Montreal and Quebec City many times over the years: on our honeymoon and multiple vacations, business trips and 1 cruise (2015).  [Acutally first visited them when I was a kid.]  So I agree one needs at least 2 days in both to do them justice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick responses!  Is it necessary to make reservations in advance for the train or the bus?

Note:  I'm not sure how to reply to specific people, or what it means to check the "quote" box.  The format has changed since I last posted on Cruise Critic over a year ago.

Edited by ams cruiser
Not sure how to reply to specific people!

2 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Note:  I'm not sure how to reply to specific people, or what it means to check the "quote" box.  The format has changed since I last posted on Cruise Critic over a year ago.

If you want to quote  a post  then just click the QUOTE  in the bottom of  the  message 

You can edit  the quoted part  if needed

2 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Thanks for the quick responses!  Is it necessary to make reservations in advance for the train or the bus?

Once you decide on dates of travel  I would  book  the Bus or train 

or there may not be seats when you get there

https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

https://www.viarail.ca/

I think Old Montreal and Quebec City are both wonderful cities and well worth at least two days in each. If the Hotel Pierre du Calvet in Montreal has reopened, it's an amazing place. There's also the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, which is on top of the Montreal VIA station. For a more budget-friendly place close to Old Montreal, there's the Holiday Inn on the edge of Chinatown, with Koi swimming through the dining room (they're wet, you're dry). For travel between the two cities, I recommend the train over the bus. In Quebec City, the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac is spectacular, but there are also charming smaller (and cheaper) places in the Lower Town. For future reference, you can also take a train (Amtrak) between Montreal and NYC, which is incredibly slow but very scenic (Lake Champlain and the Hudson River).

Edited by Langoustine

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you want to quote  a post  then just click the QUOTE  in the bottom of  the  message 

You can edit  the quoted part  if needed

Thank you.  It worked!  (I was clicking the + sign next to the quote!🙄)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

I think Old Montreal and Quebec City are both wonderful cities and well worth at least two days in each. If the Hotel Pierre du Calvet in Montreal has reopened, it's an amazing place. There's also the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, which is on top of the Montreal VIA station. For a more budget-friendly place close to Old Montreal, there's the Holiday Inn on the edge of Chinatown, with Koi swimming through the dining room. For travel between the two cities, I recommend the train over the bus. You can also take a train (Amtrak) between Montreal and NYC, which is incredibly slow but very scenic (Lake Champlain and the Hudson River).

Thank you for the recommendations!  We're just starting to work out some of the details.  Booked the cruise last January, but time has flown by!  I think we'll look towards budget-friendly places, but need to check rates.  We end up in NYC, but will plan to fly home from there.  We also need to decide whether or not to stay for a night or two, before heading home.  (speaking of budget!)

I'd agree with pretty much everything above right down to hotels; Springhill we used on almost all of our roadtrips to Montreal, Lower Town Quebec City has some bargain hotels too (BW+ City Centre used to be our go-to there), and a nonstop flight to Montreal for a couple of nights followed by the train then another couple of nights in Quebec City is the way to do it. Many cruises seem to have an overnight in QC - so if yours does you should consider 3 hotel nights Montreal and 1 hotel night in QC, as Montreal is the larger city with more stuff in general and definitely a more vibrant resto scene.

For me the one definite must-do that many tourists seem unaware of is the commuter ferry across to the other side of the river - the only way to get the 'postcard' view of Old Quebec with the Fairmont 'castle' is from the Levis side! It's cheap, and even if you walk up the hill you could still get over and back in well under two hours (but consider staying over for dinner - tends to run a bit cheaper than the touristy side - and getting some sunset/nightime snaps as well as in full daylight).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We found the Springhill Suites  in old Montreal  a good location 

easy walking  around  Old Montreal   with plenty of restaurants

Enjoy

Thank you.  I will definitely check into this.  We are fine with budget+ hotels, with our main criteria being comfortable beds, and a quiet room in a good location.

20 hours ago, martincath said:

I'd agree with pretty much everything above right down to hotels; Springhill we used on almost all of our roadtrips to Montreal, Lower Town Quebec City has some bargain hotels too (BW+ City Centre used to be our go-to there), and a nonstop flight to Montreal for a couple of nights followed by the train then another couple of nights in Quebec City is the way to do it. Many cruises seem to have an overnight in QC - so if yours does you should consider 3 hotel nights Montreal and 1 hotel night in QC, as Montreal is the larger city with more stuff in general and definitely a more vibrant resto scene.

For me the one definite must-do that many tourists seem unaware of is the commuter ferry across to the other side of the river - the only way to get the 'postcard' view of Old Quebec with the Fairmont 'castle' is from the Levis side! It's cheap, and even if you walk up the hill you could still get over and back in well under two hours (but consider staying over for dinner - tends to run a bit cheaper than the touristy side - and getting some sunset/nightime snaps as well as in full daylight).

Great suggestions!  Thank you for pointing out that we actually have a day in Quebec after we board the ship.  (Board Friday, and then depart Saturday evening.)  It doesn't specify what time we can board Friday, but it would be great if we could check in around noon and then leave the ship to spend the rest of the day (as well as Saturday), exploring Quebec.    

Is there another way to get up the hill besides walking?  (I'm not even sure what "the hill" is!)  

Thank you!

Edited by ams cruiser
Tried to get rid of accidentally copying the quote twice!

51 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Thank you.  I will definitely check into this.  We are fine with budget+ hotels, with our main criteria being comfortable beds, and a quiet room in a good location.

good  breakfast buffet included  😉 

3 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Great suggestions!  Thank you for pointing out that we actually have a day in Quebec after we board the ship.  (Board Friday, and then depart Saturday evening.)  It doesn't specify what time we can board Friday, but it would be great if we could check in around noon and then leave the ship to spend the rest of the day (as well as Saturday), exploring Quebec.    

Is there another way to get up the hill besides walking?  (I'm not even sure what "the hill" is!)  

Thank you!

The hill I'm referring to is simply the difference between the ferry dock and the top of the east side of the river valley that Levis sits on (you don't *have* to climb it at all -  just looking back from the ferry itself gives you a very good view! - but there are some nice historic areas of Levis, and the higher up you go the better the view of the Chateau Frontenac).

Link to ferry (in English) for schedule and fares, and a Google walking route up to the semi-official viewpoint at the top of the 'red stairs' here. This involves a climb of approx. a hundred feet - if you do spend a bit more time over in Levis then you could go higher (the fort is about a hundred metres up from the river side, or ~ 350 feet, and you could take a bus rather than walk the couple of miles which also avoids the hills), there are many spots you get good views across the river from.

No funicular on the Levis side unfortunately - that's the way to avoid climbing any steep streets on the Quebec city side, and it very conveniently links the most touristy bit of the upper town (right in front of Ch. Frontenac) with the pretty-much-pier-adjacent part of the lower town (most ships go for 22, very close, but on multi-ship days you may end up with an extra half mile or so walk to 30 or a shuttle bus along to 103 if it's really busy and your ship has the short straw). Map of the cruise piers here.

You'd have to ask your line when boarding starts, but hopefully it will be around noonish (IIRC the ~9am train on weekdays has a baggage car, so that's ideal for typical cruise luggage and puts you into Quebec City around noon; link to VIA rail website so you can check options on your exact date).

Edited by martincath

The hill I'm referring to is simply the difference between the ferry dock and the top of the east side of the river valley that Levis sits on (you don't *have* to climb it at all -  just looking back from the ferry itself gives you a very good view! - but there are some nice historic areas of Levis, and the higher up you go the better the view of the Chateau Frontenac).

Link to ferry (in English) for schedule and fares, and a Google walking route up to the semi-official viewpoint at the top of the 'red stairs' here. This involves a climb of approx. a hundred feet - if you do spend a bit more time over in Levis then you could go higher (the fort is about a hundred metres up from the river side, or ~ 350 feet, and you could take a bus rather than walk the couple of miles which also avoids the hills), there are many spots you get good views across the river from.

No funicular on the Levis side unfortunately - that's the way to avoid climbing any steep streets on the Quebec city side, and it very conveniently links the most touristy bit of the upper town (right in front of Ch. Frontenac) with the pretty-much-pier-adjacent part of the lower town (most ships go for 22, very close, but on multi-ship days you may end up with an extra half mile or so walk to 30 or a shuttle bus along to 103 if it's really busy and your ship has the short straw). Map of the cruise piers here.

You'd have to ask your line when boarding starts, but hopefully it will be around noonish (IIRC the ~9am train on weekdays has a baggage car, so that's ideal for typical cruise luggage and puts you into Quebec City around noon; link to VIA rail website so you can check options on your exact date).

Wonderful information!  Thank you!  (I'm printing and putting these great ideas in a file so I don't forget them as the trip gets closer.)

If you don't want to do a lot of walking in Old Quebec in the Upper Town take a carriage ride.. They leave from park near Frontenac and are a wonderful way to see that part of town.  Whatever you do, stay in the walled old town in Quebec (we stay at Chateau Pierre right near Frontenac)... Otherwise you are just in another  city.  Lots of family run small hotels, terrific dining in both upper and lower town.  A relatively easy walk is along the cliffs for a great view of the river and second taking the ferry over to Levis for a view of Old Quebec.  We have never climbed the hill and still got great pictures!!  

9 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

If you don't want to do a lot of walking in Old Quebec in the Upper Town take a carriage ride.. They leave from park near Frontenac and are a wonderful way to see that part of town.  Whatever you do, stay in the walled old town in Quebec (we stay at Chateau Pierre right near Frontenac)... Otherwise you are just in another  city.  Lots of family run small hotels, terrific dining in both upper and lower town.  A relatively easy walk is along the cliffs for a great view of the river and second taking the ferry over to Levis for a view of Old Quebec.  We have never climbed the hill and still got great pictures!!  

Thank you for this very helpful information!  After we figure out our exact dates/flights/hotels, we'll be able to focus on sightseeing (and food!)  I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions.  I so appreciate all the help on these boards. (Thank you for hosting!)

22 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Thank you for this very helpful information!  After we figure out our exact dates/flights/hotels, we'll be able to focus on sightseeing (and food!)  I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions.  I so appreciate all the help on these boards. (Thank you for hosting!)

You are very welcome~ Quebec City is one of my most favorite places in the world, even in the dead of winter during Carnaval when the average daily temperature was 2 degs. Fahrenheit~ :)

17 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

You are very welcome~ Quebec City is one of my most favorite places in the world, even in the dead of winter during Carnaval when the average daily temperature was 2 degs. Fahrenheit~ 🙂

Oh, my gosh!  I can't even imagine...

My wife and I have just booked a HAL cruise for next September, Boston to Quebec City.  We've never been to Quebec (nor to most of the ports along the way), and I'm just starting my research.  I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all of the helpful information that's been provided.  CC is such a great resource!

OP: Have a great cruise!   (And since you are traveling across the continent, I would vote for some post-cruise time in New York, unless you think you'll just be too exhausted....) 

On 12/12/2018 at 2:32 PM, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I have just booked a HAL cruise for next September, Boston to Quebec City.  We've never been to Quebec (nor to most of the ports along the way), and I'm just starting my research.  I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for all of the helpful information that's been provided.  CC is such a great resource!

OP: Have a great cruise!   (And since you are traveling across the continent, I would vote for some post-cruise time in New York, unless you think you'll just be too exhausted....) 

Please share any helpful info you come across! I agree, the boards are so helpful.  It's a little overwhelming trying to plan in the beginning, but then I remember to take one step at a time.

So far we've booked our flights and hotels, and yes, we plan to stay a few nights in NYC.  Since it isn't our first time there, hopefully, we won't feel as though we have to run around too much!  

Just booked the Springhill suites, Montreal on these recommendations. Staying  1 night after cruise because no non stop flight

to Ft Lauderdale.  Was thinking of the Intercontinental ---anyone stay there ? Oceania uses that hotel.

thanks, arl_nocaps

On 12/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, arl_nocaps said:

Was thinking of the Intercontinental ---anyone stay there ?

Is this the same cruise as OP  mentioned, i.e. is it the Interconty in NYC you're looking for feedback on? Or is it a different cruise with a different final destination? Can't help with the NYC one - except to say that Interconty's in general tend to be decent hotels with a relatively high service standard and downtown core/CBD locations. We've stayed in the Montreal and Toronto ones, both were good and pretty consistent in terms of style/bed comfort/staff quality.