Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 49

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, December 3 and Sunday, December 9.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Out for an early trip to the grocery store, I was treated to a pretty spectacular sunrise. A moment later saw me standing in the middle of the road shooting the flaming horizon while receiving curious looks from the occasional early commuter as they passed by. My lifelong habit of rising before dawn has treated me to many a sunrise while on cruises but my work schedule and lack of eastern windows seldom allows for that particular treat while at home. Since I was on a quick ten minute break from work, I was disappointed that I couldn’t just stand outside and watch the view unfold. At the first stop sign, I took this photo while lamenting that I was going the wrong way to enjoy it on the drive.

Wrong Way

p3224185099-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

I was at Disney World for a 4 day weekend with my friend and former college roommate, and took some shots along the way - it wasn't a dedicated photo trip so I was just shooting whatever caught my eye as we walked along, all handheld and no serious setups or anything.  It's always a fun place to shoot:

The first lovely surprise, though I didn't have a proper long lens with me to really get the shot - was the first day up there, when walking to Disney Springs and seeing a bald eagle sitting in a tree about 50 feet up!  I only had an 18-135mm extended kit lens and needed a huge amount of cropping, but bald eagles are not common in my area at home and I've rarely seen them:

original.jpg

Waiting for the castle lighting ceremony with the Christmas lights...they start with some projection lighting on the castle itself:

original.jpg

Before turning on all of the Christmas icicle lighting - and the smoke cascading out is man-made snow:

original.jpg

A quiet night scene in Magic Kingdom:

original.jpg

A view down the river at dusk in Animal Kingdom, with Everest rising in the distance:

original.jpg

The crazy bioluminescent world of Pandora:

original.jpg