Has there been a rule change for staff speaking their native language in public?

whogo

I heard the room stewards speaking their native languages a lot on my last cruise. I had the idea that this used to be forbidden and I recall guests being annoyed to hear any. I don't mind in the least. Was there a time when the Holland America crew was forbidden to speak their native languages in front of guests?

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Not really. In fact, just the opposite.

if taken from an english speaking passenger point of view. I totally agree that it may cause discomfort to surrounding people if unknown language is being used around them and I personally always switch to english even with my family when surrounded by english speaking passengers, but the sad fact that 99.9% americans can not do the same in an opposite situation and continue to use english, often rather loud too, while abroad. I do not know, I always blame my poor spanish in Mexico or Guatemala with frustration of my conversation limitations rather than blaming that taxi driver not speaking english. After all, I am in his country, not opposite. Mandatory eternal gratitude for brining tourist dollars is questionable in my book, but providing security for tourists is a must for example.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I think it would be terrible if the employees were told they couldn't speak in the naive language.  Why would it be culturally disrespectful to allow them to?

Get a grip. The setting is in front of the passengers; not denying their right to socialize among themselves. Avoids situations where passengers might think the crew was saying uncomplimentary things about them - creates a more inclusive feeling rather than an intentionally exclusive feeling. The onboard working language is English and this is the expectation when passengers embark, unless other provisions are made for multi-lingual accommodations due to the prevailing passenger demographics. 

This is not an unreasonable request. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If someone is trying to give complicated or detailed information to someone, we all understand it better in our own language.  I don't think it has anything to do with cultural respect or disrespect.  

I speak 4 languages, but I understand my native tongue, English, far better than the others.

Roz

• Like 2

I think expecting the crew to speak English in front of passengers when having discussions amongst themselves is ridiculous.

Worried the crew is talking about you because you don't understand the language, then get off the ship.....we don't need to sail with folks suffering from paranoia.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I think expecting the crew to speak English in front of passengers when having discussions amongst themselves is ridiculous.

Worried the crew is talking about you because you don't understand the language, then get off the ship.....we don't need to sail with folks suffering from paranoia.

This is the hospitality industry - guest sensibilities come first.  If you read CC, you will realize many passengers suffer  various degrees  from this subjective "paranoia" like it or not. So the better guidance is to avoid the possibility by discouraging these non-English language discussions when in passenger ear shot.

Edited by OlsSalt

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

If only guests had sensible expectations. Expecting someone to speak English when they are not talking to you is hardly sensible.

Expecting them to wear company uniforms is not sensible either. Or prohibiting fraternizing with the passenger guests.  I suspect there are many restrictions put on crew/staff conduct. 

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

Expecting them to wear company uniforms is not sensible either. Or prohibiting fraternizing with the passenger guests.  I suspect there are many restrictions put on crew/staff conduct. 

Who are you trying to kid?

Uniforms ARE sensible. It identifies you by department, and do I really have to explain why it makes sense to not allow the crew to pursue the affections of passengers!?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Who are you trying to kid?

Uniforms ARE sensible. It identifies you by department, and do I really have to explain why it makes sense to not allow the crew to pursue the affections of passengers!?

You just made my argument - it is sensible to also include this language prohibition so passengers do not risk misunderstanding what is getting talked about -when these conversations take place in their presence. The point is the language prohibition is also sensible. Not clear why you are trying to defend it, while agreeing there are other restrictions placed on staff/crew conduct. 

• Haha 1

We've been sailing with HAL since 1994. I've heard crew talking to one another in their native tongues since way back then. It seems danged inefficient to make the rooms stewards say, "We need extra towels in 7052." in English just in case a passenger (who may or may not speak English) might overhear. 

Also, what about the people who are hearing impaired and use sign language? Where's their accommodation? 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

30 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

If only guests had sensible expectations. Expecting someone to speak English when they are not talking to you is hardly sensible.

+1.  Totally agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We've been sailing with HAL since 1994. I've heard crew talking to one another in their native tongues since way back then. It seems danged inefficient to make the rooms stewards say, "We need extra towels in 7052." in English just in case a passenger (who may or may not speak English) might overhear. 

Also, what about the people who are hearing impaired and use sign language? Where's their accommodation? 

Or they could be saying passengers in 7052 are filthy pigs and I hate cleaning their cabin. Discretion, that is all that is asked. The argument until we learn if in fact there is a "prohibition" is discouraging this activity is not unreasonable.  Nor is it a "cultural assault". It is merely a reasonable term of employment. For positions that interface with guest services. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Just now, OlsSalt said:

You just made my argument - it is sensible to also include this language prohibition so passengers do not risk misunderstanding what is getting talked about -when these conversations take place in their presence. The point is the language prohibition is also sensible. Not clear why you are trying to defend it, while agreeing there are other restrictions placed on staff/crew conduct. 

I've never seen someone reach so far to come to a conclusion, or should I say, delusion.

Looking for the ignore button.

• Like 2