Silver Spirits Package

Mahogany

On 1/1/2019 at 10:48 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Just to revive this thread...so just to be clear, cabins below PS (Penthouse Junior Suite), do not have alcohol provided in a fridge in the room?  Not even beer?  Is there a fridge at all?  I'm thinking PV at most.

Wendy - since you are considering a World Cruise, they have different standards from the shorter cruises, as I recall Jim mentioning he had a DV for the 2018 WC and he received 2 full bottles of liquor for the cabin.

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wendy - since you are considering a World Cruise, they have different standards from the shorter cruises, as I recall Jim mentioning he had a DV for the 2018 WC and he received 2 full bottles of liquor for the cabin.

Yes, and they were replenished upon request.  Of course things change but you don't get what you don't ask for.😎

On 12/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, terrydtx said:

We are booked on our first VO cruise in 2020, the 10 day Venice to Athens on the Viking Sea. The current price of the SSBP is only $179pp. That is $18pp per day which is a great deal. If you have more than 2 drinks per day you are  ahead of the game. Most bar drinks on VO are under $9. We are on a Holland America cruise to Alaska next year and their equivalent with the $15  drink maximum is $64pp per day, and HAL adds an 18% gratuity to their drink package drinks on top of this too. HAL also has a lesser cost drink package with $9 drink cost maximum and it is still $45pp per day. 

Hi, first time with SS package.  Are drinks at all the bars included, ie Torshavn, the Atrium, Explorer Lounge?

Yes all bars.  I think $15 or less...so not high end Scotches and cognacs etc.

Only wines by the glass not bottles

My husband drinks enough to make the $20/day worthwhile...me not usually but we must BOTH sign up for the package.  I do enjoyed the up-graded wines.

36 minutes ago, deec said:

Yes all bars.  I think $15 or less...so not high end Scotches and cognacs etc.

Only wines by the glass not bottles

My husband drinks enough to make the $20/day worthwhile...me not usually but we must BOTH sign up for the package.  I do enjoyed the up-graded wines.

Thanks.  We’re not big drinkers either.  The SS package was an incentive when we signed up.  Thought it might be nice to have an after dinner drink some evenings.  

An after dinner drink is typically not expensive.  Far less than the daily SS cost for 2 people.  Have 2 each every single night and you're still ahead. Admittedly, my one week Viking bar bill runs around $50 or less.

Edited by philw1776

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has a bar drink menu with prices that might help me decide.  I don't drink a lot as a rule... I think the last glass of wine I had was 2 weeks ago... but on a cruise, I like to indulge a bit. I especially like fancy cocktails. I might have one before dinner and I'm sure I'd enjoy the wine upgrade at dinner. Then... maybe... another drink before bed? But maybe not.  I'm sure I might have an extra cocktail on sea days.  

There is a sample bar menu with prices on Myvikingjourney.com. Click the link to buy the package and you will see a link to the sample bar menu. 

My my question is simple. Does a grey goose martini straight up cost more than $15.00?  Anyone know if SS covers that?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

If anyone has a bar drink menu with prices that might help me decide.  I don't drink a lot as a rule... I think the last glass of wine I had was 2 weeks ago... but on a cruise, I like to indulge a bit. I especially like fancy cocktails. I might have one before dinner and I'm sure I'd enjoy the wine upgrade at dinner. Then... maybe... another drink before bed? But maybe not.  I'm sure I might have an extra cocktail on sea days.  

If you are doing just one cocktail per day, maybe two, it is still cheaper to go a la carte, especially since both people in the cabin need to buy the package. Figuring $7.50 per drink which is what a lemon drop martini cost me on our last cruise, you have to have three cocktails per day each and every day to make it worth your while--if you are counting pennies and not just buying the package because it is convenient. Even if you are doing two bar drinks a day and not drinking the premium liquors, it is still cheaper to buy a la carte.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:22 PM, TruJeffie said:

There is a sample bar menu with prices on Myvikingjourney.com. Click the link to buy the package and you will see a link to the sample bar menu. 

My my question is simple. Does a grey goose martini straight up cost more than $15.00?  Anyone know if SS covers that?

Yes, Grey Goose is included in the package.  They actually have a decent selection of Vodka.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, TruJeffie said:

About the only drinks above the $15 are some brandies, ports, single malt scotches and high end wines by the glass. You can also bring on board, without any corkage fees, your favorite liquor and the bartenders will even use it for missing drinks in any of the bars. VO has one of the best drink packages and liquor policy of any cruise company. Our 10 day cruise in 2020 has the drink package for only $179pp, that is  $17.90 per day. One higher end glass of wine with dinner and a martini has you ahead for the day. BTW we already purchased the drink package before Viking decides to raise it.

Edited by terrydtx

• 1 month later...

Don’t forget you can always bring soda from the buffet and put it in your mini frig if you’re in the veranda rooms. We stay in the veranda rooms and buy the ss . We can order a drink through room service at night or bring it from the bar. Honestly, we never use to eat the chips or candy so we’re not missing that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that on the current SSBP order form on Viking's site it does state that "Mini-Bar Replenishment" is included.  There is no specification as being limited to any cabin category.  Capture of that section of form attached (hope it worked).

viking-ssbp.JPG

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

To my knowledge, mini-bar replenishment has never been part of the package, only daily replenishment based upon your cabin category.

As DV and lower doesn’t have alcohol in the mini bar to start with then it will be replenished (well, DV anyway) just not with alcohol. I’m going to a Viking presentation today. I’ll try asking this. 

Edited by Pushka

On 12/3/2018 at 8:08 AM, ropomo said:

You may bring any beverage you would like, and consume it anywhere you want with no corkage fee or interference.  Staff will provide glasses etc as desired.  Viking treats you as an adult.  Info can be found on my Viking journey menu under Enrich your trip 

I do not find the "Enrich your trip" on My Viking Journey. Is there a secret handshake I need to use?

We will be on the Viking Lif, BUD-AMS April 2020.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, ropomo said:

Peregerina651, I may be mistaken, but based on my experience, the mini fridge and complementary replenishment only has beer, soft drinks and spirits, no wine other than the initial comped bottle of champagne.  The initial stocking (can be changed daily if requested) has: 2 cans beer, 2 cans coke, 2 cans diet coke, 2 cans sprite, 2 bottles tonic, 1 5 cl bottle vodka, 1 5 cl gin, 1 5 cl bottle whiskey, 1 5 cl bottle (I don't remember, I had 4 bottles of gin subbed out).

Only soft drinks and snacks in the Veranda categories.  In the Penthouse Suites, you do get some nips of your choice that are replenished daily.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, What was that? said:

I do not find the "Enrich your trip" on My Viking Journey. Is there a secret handshake I need to use?

We will be on the Viking Lif, BUD-AMS April 2020.

I think you will find Enhance rather than Enrich your trip 

• 8 months later...

This is our first cruise on Viking.  We are still 'on the fence' about the Silver Beverage Package (SBP).  I asked for and received a 'spirits' page from a Viking representative for Whisky, Bourbons, Vodkas, Gins, Rums etc. and they offer a fair range of houses that are acceptable, but no mention of wines either by the glass or bottle. 

One aspect of the SBP,  'upgraded wines' has not been addressed on this thread.  We are definitely wine drinkers at lunch and dinner.  Generally,  we do not care for 'boxed' or house wines.  Does Viking provide a separate wine list for 'silver'(SBP) members that are  better quality paired for lunch and  dinner?   Do they offer a choice of premium wines with types and vintner names?  At dinner are you presented with a card listing premium wines from which you can select or is a pairing done by a  sommelier?   Do they limit 'pours' at meals? 

There are many 'by the glass' wines available for no extra charge to those with SS package.  There are some that are not.  There is a wine list.  the sommelier will give  you  suggestions.  The upgraded wines are included for the chef's table pairings with SS package.  We are wine drinkers but certainly not experts and enjoy the better wines with the SS package.  Our friends who travel with us many times could not care less and "house wine"  is fine for them.  They do not limit the number of glasses that you can have.