Norwegian Jewel Sydney to Hobart 13 Dec

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They need a few tips, those ones. Like get a haircut and another job😛

The one that checked us in didn’t need a haircut, or if so maybe just one hair😋😳🤯

Edited by GUT2407

Looks like a nice itinerary, thanks for the report.

I have not yet managed to be in Hobart at the same time as the markets but bought two lovely alpaca scarves at the pier markets.  I will take one with me for my January trip to NZ, I may need it in the sounds and Arthurs Pass.

I will look out for Tasmanian Gin on our stop on the way over!

28 minutes ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

Looks like a nice itinerary, thanks for the report.

I have not yet managed to be in Hobart at the same time as the markets but bought two lovely alpaca scarves at the pier markets.  I will take one with me for my January trip to NZ, I may need it in the sounds and Arthurs Pass.

I will look out for Tasmanian Gin on our stop on the way over!

Pretty sure the one Mrs Gut bought in Burnie was Alpaca.

Mrs Gut was pleased to see that the daily included a notice to the effect

”This show contains bright or flashing lights and unexpected jumps in noise levels”.

seems a shame more lines don’t include that type of information which can trigger major episodes for people with some neurological conditions.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Also we had read that Norwegian Nickel and dime you to death.

we saw no sign of that.

I would agree with that - at the bars or theatre the waiters/waitresses  were happy to serve three drinks at a time using the drinks package with just my card 

Edited by Rusty1963

4 minutes ago, Rusty1963 said:

I would agree with that - at the bars or theatre the waiters/waitresses  were happy to serve three drinks at a time using the drinks package with just my card 

I also didn’t see them pushing drinks packages, in fact if I hadn’t pre bought my soft drink package I think I’d have needed to go looking to find where to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut was pleased to see that the daily included a notice to the effect

”This show contains bright or flashing lights and unexpected jumps in noise levels”.

seems a shame more lines don’t include that type of information which can trigger major episodes for people with some neurological conditions.

Royal and X let you know if smoke machines, or lashing lights will be used in the shows.

Just got off Royal and either we are so well known they knew not to ask or maybe we look scary as the usual requests on embarkation day and the following few days for drink packages, dining packages and even photos etc were not apparent.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

17th Melbourne.

Well, started with a disaster with taxis,  first two (one a wheelchair taxi the other a SUV) thought it was too short a fare, third (another wheelchair cab) thought the first in the line should take us. Next was a sedan and didn’t want to put the wheelchair in his boot. Oh well that’s how it goes I guess.

eventually, after we left the pier was such a nice bloke, stopped without us even flagging him down, wouldn’t allow Mrs G to help get the chair in the boot, and refused to take a cent more than was on the meter.

Off to QV markets, Mrs Gut was again surprisingly good, though we did blow. A few hundred bucks on some leather bags and some stuff for Max the Killer Schnauzer.

into town, view a few camera shops and the pen shop where Miss Guts graduation/admission pen came from a few years ago. Mr Gut resisted all temptation. Then Mrs G wanted to visit Myers and the battery was getting low, so into a little coffee shop in the arcade opposite Myers where they were kind enough to let me recharge over a coffee and bit of cake.

I was hoping to catch up with Docker, but disaster struck, or more accurately I sneezed. Unfortunately some sneezes put pressure on certain parts of the neck and I go totally deaf, plus a lot of pain. So had to cancel. Tram back to the pier so I could collapse, I was impressed by how easy it was to get on and off the trams.

A couple on the tram wanted to know about accessible cabins, so called in for a look.

Hi Mr G,

unfortunately your experience with accessible taxis in melbourne is not uncommon. We have gods own trouble getting an accessible taxi for my 15yo who is in a power chair. If we stay in the cbd before one of his medical appointments its almost impossible to get a taxi, even when we pre book the day before, as it is "too short a fare". It was so bad we put an official complaint i, and recieved a letter of apology and $50 worth of vouchers (not sure how we can use them when none of the taxis want our fare tho!!!) so now we try to go to the childrens hospital straight from the airport, at least that way we can get a taxi. And they wonder why uber is doing them out of business. If uber offered accessible fares I would do it in an instant.

We have found the accessible trams to be fantastic, unfortunately not all are accessible, but they are slowly getting there.

So pleased that you enjoyed the ship.

Cheers maree

1 hour ago, rabbit1971 said:

Hi Mr G,

unfortunately your experience with accessible taxis in melbourne is not uncommon. We have gods own trouble getting an accessible taxi for my 15yo who is in a power chair. If we stay in the cbd before one of his medical appointments its almost impossible to get a taxi, even when we pre book the day before, as it is "too short a fare". It was so bad we put an official complaint i, and recieved a letter of apology and $50 worth of vouchers (not sure how we can use them when none of the taxis want our fare tho!!!) so now we try to go to the childrens hospital straight from the airport, at least that way we can get a taxi. And they wonder why uber is doing them out of business. If uber offered accessible fares I would do it in an instant.

We have found the accessible trams to be fantastic, unfortunately not all are accessible, but they are slowly getting there.

So pleased that you enjoyed the ship.

Cheers maree

Uber have introduced a WAV service. (wheelchair Accessible Vehicle) I’ve resisted Uber, not that I use Taxi type services much anyway, but WAV May make he reassess 

56 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Uber have introduced a WAV service. (wheelchair Accessible Vehicle) I’ve resisted Uber, not that I use Taxi type services much anyway, but WAV May make he reassess 

Wow, I had no idea that they have expanded their services. Being a bit on the back foot in tassie, we only had uber roll out late last year.Are Uber operating wav in sydney and melbourne?

Ta Maree