Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
GUT2407

Norwegian Jewel Sydney to Hobart 13 Dec

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I thought that was why we don’t tip check in crew.

 

but then someone was complain8ng elsewhere about check in crew at the OPT. 

They need a few tips, those ones. Like get a haircut and another job😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They need a few tips, those ones. Like get a haircut and another job😛

The one that checked us in didn’t need a haircut, or if so maybe just one hair😋😳🤯

Edited by GUT2407

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

The one that checked us in didn’t need a haircut, or if so maybe just one hair😋😳🤯

I did say A hair cut.:classic_ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice itinerary, thanks for the report.

 

I have not yet managed to be in Hobart at the same time as the markets but bought two lovely alpaca scarves at the pier markets.  I will take one with me for my January trip to NZ, I may need it in the sounds and Arthurs Pass.

 

I will look out for Tasmanian Gin on our stop on the way over!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Swissmiss6253 said:

Looks like a nice itinerary, thanks for the report.

 

I have not yet managed to be in Hobart at the same time as the markets but bought two lovely alpaca scarves at the pier markets.  I will take one with me for my January trip to NZ, I may need it in the sounds and Arthurs Pass.

 

I will look out for Tasmanian Gin on our stop on the way over!

 

Pretty sure the one Mrs Gut bought in Burnie was Alpaca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought it was a scarf? not an alpaca.

Nah an alpaca made out of its of scarf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Nah an alpaca made out of its of scarf

It is pretty impressive to have alpacas making scarves. Are they Burniese Alpacas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs Gut was pleased to see that the daily included a notice to the effect

 

”This show contains bright or flashing lights and unexpected jumps in noise levels”.

 

seems a shame more lines don’t include that type of information which can trigger major episodes for people with some neurological conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also we had read that Norwegian Nickel and dime you to death.

 

we saw no sign of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Also we had read that Norwegian Nickel and dime you to death.

 

we saw no sign of that.

I would agree with that - at the bars or theatre the waiters/waitresses  were happy to serve three drinks at a time using the drinks package with just my card 

Edited by Rusty1963

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rusty1963 said:

I would agree with that - at the bars or theatre the waiters/waitresses  were happy to serve three drinks at a time using the drinks package with just my card 

I also didn’t see them pushing drinks packages, in fact if I hadn’t pre bought my soft drink package I think I’d have needed to go looking to find where to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut was pleased to see that the daily included a notice to the effect

 

”This show contains bright or flashing lights and unexpected jumps in noise levels”.

 

seems a shame more lines don’t include that type of information which can trigger major episodes for people with some neurological conditions.

Royal and X let you know if smoke machines, or lashing lights will be used in the shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off Royal and either we are so well known they knew not to ask or maybe we look scary as the usual requests on embarkation day and the following few days for drink packages, dining packages and even photos etc were not apparent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Royal and X let you know if smoke machines, or lashing lights will be used in the shows.

We haven’t noticed it before on Celebrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We haven’t noticed it before on Celebrity.

Probably as most of their shows do not use strobe lighting or the really heavy smoke in the theatre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We haven’t noticed it before on Celebrity.

I've noticed it on Celebrity and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I've noticed it on Celebrity and others.

Thanks, first time we have noticed it was this cruise.

 

we aren’t big on shows, so may have missed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They normally provide the warnings several times so if you arrive just before the show you may have missed it. They also warn about unaccompanied children in the first three rows, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I wasn’t clear, the warnings I was surprised at were in the FreeStyle daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, a written warning is different. Royal does do this as well, I would assume that X does it as they are sister fleets. I cannot recall Princess doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 1:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

17th Melbourne.

 

Well, started with a disaster with taxis,  first two (one a wheelchair taxi the other a SUV) thought it was too short a fare, third (another wheelchair cab) thought the first in the line should take us. Next was a sedan and didn’t want to put the wheelchair in his boot. Oh well that’s how it goes I guess.

 

eventually, after we left the pier was such a nice bloke, stopped without us even flagging him down, wouldn’t allow Mrs G to help get the chair in the boot, and refused to take a cent more than was on the meter.

 

Off to QV markets, Mrs Gut was again surprisingly good, though we did blow. A few hundred bucks on some leather bags and some stuff for Max the Killer Schnauzer.

 

into town, view a few camera shops and the pen shop where Miss Guts graduation/admission pen came from a few years ago. Mr Gut resisted all temptation. Then Mrs G wanted to visit Myers and the battery was getting low, so into a little coffee shop in the arcade opposite Myers where they were kind enough to let me recharge over a coffee and bit of cake.

 

I was hoping to catch up with Docker, but disaster struck, or more accurately I sneezed. Unfortunately some sneezes put pressure on certain parts of the neck and I go totally deaf, plus a lot of pain. So had to cancel. Tram back to the pier so I could collapse, I was impressed by how easy it was to get on and off the trams.

 

A couple on the tram wanted to know about accessible cabins, so called in for a look.

 

 

Hi Mr G,

 unfortunately your experience with accessible taxis in melbourne is not uncommon. We have gods own trouble getting an accessible taxi for my 15yo who is in a power chair. If we stay in the cbd before one of his medical appointments its almost impossible to get a taxi, even when we pre book the day before, as it is "too short a fare". It was so bad we put an official complaint i, and recieved a letter of apology and $50 worth of vouchers (not sure how we can use them when none of the taxis want our fare tho!!!) so now we try to go to the childrens hospital straight from the airport, at least that way we can get a taxi. And they wonder why uber is doing them out of business. If uber offered accessible fares I would do it in an instant.

 We have found the accessible trams to be fantastic, unfortunately not all are accessible, but they are slowly getting there.

 So pleased that you enjoyed the ship.

 Cheers maree

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rabbit1971 said:

Hi Mr G,

 unfortunately your experience with accessible taxis in melbourne is not uncommon. We have gods own trouble getting an accessible taxi for my 15yo who is in a power chair. If we stay in the cbd before one of his medical appointments its almost impossible to get a taxi, even when we pre book the day before, as it is "too short a fare". It was so bad we put an official complaint i, and recieved a letter of apology and $50 worth of vouchers (not sure how we can use them when none of the taxis want our fare tho!!!) so now we try to go to the childrens hospital straight from the airport, at least that way we can get a taxi. And they wonder why uber is doing them out of business. If uber offered accessible fares I would do it in an instant.

 We have found the accessible trams to be fantastic, unfortunately not all are accessible, but they are slowly getting there.

 So pleased that you enjoyed the ship.

 Cheers maree

 

Uber have introduced a WAV service. (wheelchair Accessible Vehicle) I’ve resisted Uber, not that I use Taxi type services much anyway, but WAV May make he reassess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Uber have introduced a WAV service. (wheelchair Accessible Vehicle) I’ve resisted Uber, not that I use Taxi type services much anyway, but WAV May make he reassess 

Wow, I had no idea that they have expanded their services. Being a bit on the back foot in tassie, we only had uber roll out late last year.Are Uber operating wav in sydney and melbourne?

 Ta Maree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...