Post cruise transport from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Newark Airport

Sweetln

Group of 3 adults + carry on bags & 2-3 check in roller bags looking for the best and most cost effective post-cruise transportation option from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Newark Airport.  NCL Gem arrives at 10am and flight is in the late afternoon. Given mobility restrictions and luggage, we're not interested in using public transportation.

Current options: taxi, uber, lyft, or reserved private car.

I've read that there's a $20 surcharge for uber and lyft for any rides crossing state lines. I think Taxis also have a $15 surcharge for this. Dial7 fares online do not include fee costs in estimates.

Any thoughts or past experiences?

Edited by Sweetln
spelling

1 hour ago, Sweetln said:

Group of 3 adults + carry on bags & 2-3 check in roller bags looking for the best and most cost effective post-cruise transportation option from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Newark Airport.  NCL Gem arrives at 10am and flight is in the late afternoon. Given mobility restrictions and luggage, we're not interested in using public transportation.

Current options: taxi, uber, lyft, or reserved private car.

I've read that there's a $20 surcharge for uber and lyft for any rides crossing state lines. I think Taxis also have a $15 surcharge for this. Dial7 fares online do not include fee costs in estimates.

Any thoughts or past experiences?

The surcharges are in place because the vehicles in many cases will have to return to NY City empty. I don't know what Uber and Lyft are charging at present but a NY City taxi will have a $17.50 surcharge over the metered fare, plus you will have to pay round trip tolls (figure up to about $20), and a tip of 15 to 20% of the fare is customary.

I'd suggest getting quotes from the two large car services used by many cruisers, Dial 7 www.dial7.com and Carmel Limo www.carmellimo.com. They'll give you a fixed fare quote so you don't have to worry about a metered taxi fare that could run up quickly if  you get stuck in traffic. You'll have to add tolls and tip to those quotes but that's no different than what you have to do for a taxi. They should quote about $50-$60 base fare, to which you'll have to add the tolls and tip. Just make sure you honestly state the number of passengers and amount of luggage  they may require you to take something larger than a basic sedan.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The surcharges are in place because the vehicles in many cases will have to return to NY City empty. I don't know what Uber and Lyft are charging at present but a NY City taxi will have a $17.50 surcharge over the metered fare, plus you will have to pay round trip tolls (figure up to about $20), and a tip of 15 to 20% of the fare is customary.

I'd suggest getting quotes from the two large car services used by many cruisers, Dial 7 www.dial7.com and Carmel Limo www.carmellimo.com. They'll give you a fixed fare quote so you don't have to worry about a metered taxi fare that could run up quickly if  you get stuck in traffic. You'll have to add tolls and tip to those quotes but that's no different than what you have to do for a taxi. They should quote about $50-$60 base fare, to which you'll have to add the tolls and tip. Just make sure you honestly state the number of passengers and amount of luggage  they may require you to take something larger than a basic sedan.

Thanks for all the helpful info!