Last Minute Booking - Embarkation Time?

rdillon2

I booked a very last minute weekend cruise - booked it this past Sunday and it starts Friday (2 nighter to Bruges).  According to the website, I should see my assigned boarding time on my e-ticket.  However, it states not assigned because my room has not been assigned yet.  I need to buy my train ticket, should I just plan on getting there around noon and just hang out - could I end up hanging around for hours?

Also, it says one 'black-tie' night but it also says no fancy dress in the dress code.  I plan on wearing dressy black pants and an ivory lace top - will that be okay?

Thanks for you help, I've been on many cruises out of the US, but never sailed out of Southampton, so this will be a new experience. 

Yes to both. Outfit sounds fine. Arrival time you may sit for a while as boarding runs until after 3pm but at least you will be there and ready if they are able to call you early they will. Just take a drink and a snack as facilities are a bit basic.

6 minutes ago, rdillon2 said:

Sounds like a plan.  I'm very much looking forward to checking out a new cruise line.  

Embarkation is by deck so you cannot get a time until that happens. If you do not hear before you leave home you cabin allocation will be available when you get to the terminal.

Hi....with the unreliability of trains at the moment I would rather be hanging around for hours than risk arriving too late. Where we live we are beset with delays....last minute cancellations and strikes so travelling by train is so unreliable that we choose to travel the day before

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

Hi....with the unreliability of trains at the moment I would rather be hanging around for hours than risk arriving too late. Where we live we are beset with delays....last minute cancellations and strikes so travelling by train is so unreliable that we choose to travel the day before

Good point, I'm headed over from London and was just looking at the train versus the National Express coaches - maybe I should look at the bus as an alternative.  

When you arrive you will be given a coloured numbered card and you will board when your card and colour and number are called.  If you arrive early you will have to wait but you are not necessarily going to wait until your assigned time. 

Edited by Josy1953

On 12/4/2018 at 1:16 PM, rdillon2 said:

I booked a very last minute weekend cruise - booked it this past Sunday and it starts Friday (2 nighter to Bruges).  According to the website, I should see my assigned boarding time on my e-ticket.  However, it states not assigned because my room has not been assigned yet.  I need to buy my train ticket, should I just plan on getting there around noon and just hang out - could I end up hanging around for hours?

Also, it says one 'black-tie' night but it also says no fancy dress in the dress code.  I plan on wearing dressy black pants and an ivory lace top - will that be okay?

Thanks for you help, I've been on many cruises out of the US, but never sailed out of Southampton, so this will be a new experience. 

Fancy dress is not the very lovely outfit you describe but the sort you rent from a fancy dress shop. We are also about to embark on our first P&O cruise and lots of people are warning us that it will be very different from our usual US cruise line. However, it’s a ship, in the Caribbean, in December. It would have to be really bad for us to not enjoy it. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, rdillon2 said:

P&O will only keep you waiting id you have turned up before your allotted time, and there are long queues. Generally they try to get everyone on as soon as possible. I would go with your plan and turn up 12:30ish and explain about the late booking.

Quote....'Also, it says one 'black-tie' night but it also says no fancy dress in the dress code.  I plan on wearing dressy black pants and an ivory lace top - will that be okay? I'm sure this will be fine, but what will your wife be wearing?

• Thanks 1