Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

I am not sure if it has been covered or not but how do they clean the outer surface of the stationary bottom pane in the Infinite Veranda.  There must be some mechanical gizmo on the outside and it must operate with the window closed and secured as well.

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

I remember once watching a documentary on Walt Disney where they called him a marketing genius for creating and building a giant shopping center disguised as a theme park. Maybe Celebrity is trying to follow suit building a ship of almost entirely ocean view cabins disguised as "infinite veranda's". 

Very ASTUTE prognostication :classic_laugh:

The issue as I see it is in the pricing. Considering current X price increase policy, I very much doubt the prices of these "OV cabins" with "infinite" (albeit crammed) verandas would go way down as they were when more S class ships joined the fleet. Don't forget, there are five of those (S class ships), and - fortunately for us - they all came out at the hedge of recession time, so we all benefited from their abundance and greatness...

With E class, X now tries to get back to us, loyal customers, with EVERYTHING possible to squeeze the extra bucks - just look at the activities pages in the dailies, ~50-60% of stuff in there asks for extra money... plus drinks, plus specialty restaurants, plus spa (I personally am outraged by the X/E decision of NOT honoring the Elite privilege of one port day free spa use - this is unheard of, I have been to .....teen X cruises and NEVER was I refused of getting that...  I feel sorry for those who are not Elite, because there is NO COMMON access to the steam room/changing room anymore, as far as I understand, and this draws a finite line between sheer greed and loyalty, as far as I see it...

8 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I am not sure if it has been covered or not but how do they clean the outer surface of the stationary bottom pane in the Infinite Veranda.  There must be some mechanical gizmo on the outside and it must operate with the window closed and secured as well.

That "mechanical gizmo" is a tiny Burmese or Vietnamese dude in flip-flops with a power wash nozzle in hands... Are you seriously thinking that they will invest into something of that kind (giant squeegee) to clean up salt streaks? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

That "mechanical gizmo" is a tiny Burmese or Vietnamese dude in flip-flops with a power wash nozzle in hands... Are you seriously thinking that they will invest into something of that kind (giant squeegee) to clean up salt streaks? 

I have rarely been on a ship that did NOT have some sort of mechanical rail riding system to clean the windows and other exterior surface on a cruise ship. How many partially obstructed verandas are categorized as such because of a washing system?

2 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

I have rarely been on a ship that did NOT have some sort of mechanical rail riding system to clean the windows and other exterior surface on a cruise ship. How many partially obstructed verandas are categorized as such because of a washing system?

Look, I know what are you referring for - this is the hanging washer system that runs on the rail along the top deck (or OVC or any other chosen deck...). It can't be installed on EVERY deck, this is my point... In the balcony deck, this washing is done by a guy walking from one unit to another via the folded glass separation panels, at least this is how it's done on S ships as far as I know...

Edited by marylander2
add on

1 minute ago, marylander2 said:

Look, I know what are you referring for - this is the hanging washer system that runs on the rail along the top deck (or OVC or any other chosen deck...). It can't be installed on EVERY deck, this is my point...

Thank you for your comment.

And just like the more than a dozen ships I have sailed on in the past 20 years not all windows or verandas or surfaces can be reached by those mechanical system.

I am just interested in how the massive amount of IV staterooms will get theirs cleaned. That is my point or rather question.

I am sure they don't expect anyone in flip flops to be cleaning anything.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Thank you for your comment.

And just like the more than a dozen ships I have sailed on in the past 20 years not all windows or verandas or surfaces can be reached by those mechanical system.

I am just interested in how the massive amount of IV staterooms will get theirs cleaned. That is my point or rather question.

I am sure they don't expect anyone in flip flops to be cleaning anything.

You took my sarcastic post about flip-flops way too seriously :))))

Enjoy your cruise!

I saw a video that appeared to show a machine coming by and spraying water or a water soap mixture on the closed iV veranda windows... I did not see any large or small individuals involved... I suppose they could have come later with squeegy in hand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I saw a video that appeared to show a machine coming by and spraying water or a water soap mixture on the closed iV veranda windows... I did not see any large or small individuals involved... I suppose they could have come later with squeegy in hand

I saw that also but cannot find it.

Along the entire side of the Edge there are rails every 2 levels for the washers to ride on.

The screen capture shows one in place (dead center pf the photo). It appears they can be put in place on the rails when needed and lowered when not in service.

From other photos it seems that when they are not in use they can be lowered and are stored towards the aft.

win.JPG

Edited by boscobeans

On 12/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, BeeMinor said:

I hope so. They could tweak it to emphasize the nature aspect without completely reinventing the wheel: lose the performance artists, make the Eden dinner menu something more modern that is seasonal or vegetable-forward with optional organic/natural wine pairings, carve out a "quiet corner" for meditation (or reading) and offer a couple of guided sessions through the on-board app, have yoga classes with a view, LOSE THE PERFORMANCE ARTISTS, you get the idea. If the idea is to appeal to a younger demographic, wellness and holistic health is a pretty broad trend and connecting with nature and the sea is a part of that. But I think Virgin is already all over that idea.

I love your concept, so refreshing....mellow and organic,

.. All perfect for me...  complements the spa and thermal suites....,.and Rooftop Garden space....the more  high energy oriented music and entertainment can flourish in the Club and Martini bar area.,,

I am one of the Old folks X wants to "retire"....but your ideas would be a strong draw for old and young alike.  Hope Celebrity is reading!

Others have pointed out that it will be much more important to wash the IV windows regularly (compared to regular balconies) because when the window is down you are looking through two panes of glass.  What I haven't seen anyone mention is that it will be easier to wash these windows (compared to balcony sliding doors) because they are flush with the outside of the ship.  Perhaps those gizmos shown are automated and will allow much more frequent washing.  That would also explain why the captain can lock the windows.  [And it would avoid the embarrassment on my last cruise when we inadvertently locked our cabin attendant out on the balconies he was washing!]

1 hour ago, Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter said:

The Edsel doesn't get enough recognition for putting cars on the road to becoming automatic with their teletouch system. Someone has to take the risk that everyone will benefit from - which is why Ford is respected today.

Thanks for your kind remarks.  If it wasn’t for Ford I wouldn’t be able to cruise as I am a Ford retiree.   There are a lot of commentary and thoughts on why the Edsel failed.   It is the forerunner of “Jumping the Shark”.    One reason why it failed was they tried to do too much and it didn’t fit into any niche.   Edsel will always as a model or synonym for failure.   But others sucjphas the Delorean, or Bricklin are never mentioned. 

For the teletouch system Packard had it before Ford and went out of business.  Chrysler also had it on their cars but it wasn’t in the steering wheel hub.  

Most of Fords problems today are with the Sync system.   It is too confusing and is really a distraction when driving and trying to use. It is the equivalent of using a cell phone. 

It isn’t the first to fail and won’t  be the last as many have been a bust.  The only way to succeed is to be a leader and be the first instead of the also ran.  Edison had many atempts to develop the light bulb,  many tried flying,  you will never know unless you try and Celebrity apparently jumped the shark and chose the wrong designer that seems to have missed the ship (boat).  

Just judging by the initial reviews Celebrity has what many refer to as a Edsel.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, miched said:

Thanks for your kind remarks.  If it wasn’t for Ford I wouldn’t be able to cruise as I am a Ford retiree.   There are a lot of commentary and thoughts on why the Edsel failed.   It is the forerunner of “Jumping the Shark”.    One reason why it failed was they tried to do too much and it didn’t fit into any niche.   Edsel will always as a model or synonym for failure.   But others sucjphas the Delorean, or Bricklin are never mentioned. 

For the teletouch system Packard had it before Ford and went out of business.  Chrysler also had it on their cars but it wasn’t in the steering wheel hub.  

Most of Fords problems today are with the Sync system.   It is too confusing and is really a distraction when driving and trying to use. It is the equivalent of using a cell phone. 

It isn’t the first to fail and won’t  be the last as many have been a bust.  The only way to succeed is to be a leader and be the first instead of the also ran.  Edison had many atempts to develop the light bulb,  many tried flying,  you will never know unless you try and Celebrity apparently jumped the shark and chose the wrong designer that seems to have missed the ship (boat).  

Just judging by the initial reviews Celebrity has what many refer to as a Edsel.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well said. 

On 12/13/2018 at 5:54 AM, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Celebrity got everyone to all of a sudden say the name Kelly Hoppen... as if she was widely known to all.... How many of us had ever heard that name before Edge was announced?

Never heard of her...

Obviously a rookie at regular cruise ship cabins like most of us will experience. From what has been posted , cabins needs tables in and out , veranda chairs with footrests, hanging hooks swivel TVs, etc   The basics!

Hoping they will be better in person!

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:57 AM, DYKWIA said:

yes, had heard of her - she'd done some TV work in the UK and was known for doing interior designs for the rich and famous (Beckham's for example) - not sure about how much Public space / entertainment / hotel design work she's done though.

Sounds like she is more widely known in the UK.. On the other hand, I don't know the name of any living interior designer.. So it just might be me.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:40 AM, Gracie115 said:

Just not sure what to think about this...mildly interesting once?...maybe

EDEN SHOW # 2...Not even once...painful!

Castle Dreams Show....   NEVER!

Edited by hcat

For those who think the JEWELRY BOX Show is some crazy thing Celebrity dreamed up that no one would like, I point you to 

South Beach's Faena Hotel Miami Beach and their Brand New Cabaret show  Samsara Cabaret. The Faena Hotel is EXACTLY the type of resort experience that The Edge would like to emulate, along with the demographic that would stay at the Faena.  Here is a brief description:

Samsara Cabaret | A Journey of Transformation
From timeless ashes emerge new beginnings at Faena Theater with Samsara Cabaret, a new original Faena LIVE production in collaboration with Quixotic now showing at Faena Miami Beach.

Inspired by the Sanskrit word "samsara" referencing rebirth, karmic reincarnation and life's constant change, Samsara Cabaret fuses stunning visuals, contemporary dance, cirque nouveau, live music, state-of-the-art technology and more to create an exhilarating theater experience unlike any other.

SHOW TIMES
9:00 PM
TICKETS FROM
USD 55
About Samsara Cabaret
Narrated by a Goddess of Experience through a series of lively vignettes, Samsara Cabaret tells the tale of Artemis, a being made of stardust, as she transcends time and space on a quest for her truest form. Throughout her journey, the lead protagonist – played by Miami native Bianca Allanic – encounters forces of lightness and darkness that lure her deeper into an erotic fantasyland brought to life through powerful duets, original rock-inspired compositions, aerialist choreography, acrobatics and more.

The experimental production boasts an outstanding ensemble of award-winning talent, including powerhouse singer and "America's Got Talent" semi-finalist Yoli Mayor, violinist Shane Borth, cellist Ben Munoz, and Sensatia stars Megan Stockman, EnVee and Samanta Mixan. 

The incandescent performance, directed by Quixotic's Anthony Magliano and Christian Squires, is a sensuous meditation on the eternal cycle of creation and transformation, during which guests are siren-called to leave their old selves behind in search for the ever-new. 
Some links:

http://www.faena.com/miami-beach/event/samsara-cabaret/

https://hauteliving.com/2018/11/faena-debuts-newest-show-samsara-cabaret-at-faena-theatre/663739/

Yelp reviews of the show:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/faena-theater-miami-beach

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

For those who think the JEWELRY BOX Show is some crazy thing Celebrity dreamed up that no one would like, I point you to 

South Beach's Faena Hotel Miami Beach and their Brand New Cabaret show  Samsara Cabaret. The Faena Hotel is EXACTLY the type of resort experience that The Edge would like to emulate, along with the demographic that would stay at the Faena.  Here is a brief description:

Samsara Cabaret | A Journey of Transformation
From timeless ashes emerge new beginnings at Faena Theater with Samsara Cabaret, a new original Faena LIVE production in collaboration with Quixotic now showing at Faena Miami Beach.

Inspired by the Sanskrit word "samsara" referencing rebirth, karmic reincarnation and life's constant change, Samsara Cabaret fuses stunning visuals, contemporary dance, cirque nouveau, live music, state-of-the-art technology and more to create an exhilarating theater experience unlike any other.

SHOW TIMES
9:00 PM
TICKETS FROM
USD 55
About Samsara Cabaret
Narrated by a Goddess of Experience through a series of lively vignettes, Samsara Cabaret tells the tale of Artemis, a being made of stardust, as she transcends time and space on a quest for her truest form. Throughout her journey, the lead protagonist – played by Miami native Bianca Allanic – encounters forces of lightness and darkness that lure her deeper into an erotic fantasyland brought to life through powerful duets, original rock-inspired compositions, aerialist choreography, acrobatics and more.

The experimental production boasts an outstanding ensemble of award-winning talent, including powerhouse singer and "America's Got Talent" semi-finalist Yoli Mayor, violinist Shane Borth, cellist Ben Munoz, and Sensatia stars Megan Stockman, EnVee and Samanta Mixan. 

The incandescent performance, directed by Quixotic's Anthony Magliano and Christian Squires, is a sensuous meditation on the eternal cycle of creation and transformation, during which guests are siren-called to leave their old selves behind in search for the ever-new. 
Some links:

http://www.faena.com/miami-beach/event/samsara-cabaret/

https://hauteliving.com/2018/11/faena-debuts-newest-show-samsara-cabaret-at-faena-theatre/663739/

Yelp reviews of the show:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/faena-theater-miami-beach

Interesting Indeed.  I can see the connection, but it also seems quite a bit different in style and talent consistency, more confident.  My concern is that the most popular Samsara Cabaret video on youtube has only has 90 views.  Even Sensatia only has 6,500 views.  Maybe a bit of a local niche, but doesn't seem to have enough internet buzz to base a ship off of to draw new cruisers.  I would argue that the very people drawn to this type of performance, are the very same people that would be apprehensive about spending a week on a ship with 3,000 people.  Everything is already at their fingertips in South Beach, with better shows and amenity options.

Proof will be in the pudding.  In fact, the Edge should already be flooding with new cruisers and South Beach enthusiasts.  The inaugural Ritz Carlton Yacht cruise, will be, mark my words.

That said, I admire your passion to try new things.  I would probably prefer Samsara Cabaret to an ABBA tribute anyway,  I'm just not sure they're hitting the target.

11 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Interesting Indeed.  I can see the connection, but it also seems quite a bit different in style and talent consistency, more confident.  My concern is that the most popular Samsara Cabaret video on youtube has only has 90 views.  Even Sensatia only has 6,500 views.  Maybe a bit of a local niche, but doesn't seem to have enough internet buzz to base a ship off of to draw new cruisers.  I would argue that the very people drawn to this type of performance, are the very same people that would be apprehensive about spending a week on a ship with 3,000 people.  Everything is already at their fingertips in South Beach, with better shows and amenity options.

Proof will be in the pudding.  In fact, the Edge should already be flooding with new cruisers and South Beach enthusiasts.  The inaugural Ritz Carlton Yacht cruise, will be, mark my words.

That said, I admire your passion to try new things.  I would probably prefer Samsara Cabaret to an ABBA tribute anyway,  I'm just not sure they're hitting the target.

Um....count me in on the ABBA tribute any day:)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Have you seen Spectra's Cabaret on Royal's Anthem (Not sure if it's on other Quantum Class ships)? If so I'm wondering what you thought of that particular show. I loved it! 

http://m.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/608/spectras-cabaret-in-two70-on-anthem-of-the-seas/