Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, cruzemaven said:

Very attractive interior. Infinite Veranda concept is nice but not necessarily better than a regular veranda - depends on your preference . Food in Fine Cut was good. Luminai was okay and Cosmopolitan was average. Two bar lounges Eden (we did not like the ambience) and The Martini bar area ( very crowded). Entertainment was not to our taste - though the technology was dazzling! We prefer The Reflection and The Silhouette ... Don’t think we would go on this ship again.

Pretty much agree with your comments although we did get used to our IV cabin. Definitely did not enjoy the entertainment.  Still have 7 more days to go so hope it gets better.

9 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I find the video kind of creepy.  I guess eden is not for me.

Very hedonistic. Reminds me of seeing the old Roman bath (orgy) scenes. I think X must have been paying far too much attention to the ‘clothing optional’ charter cruises 🤣🤣. Perhaps that was their largest revenue weeks....bottom line, bottom line 😆.

22 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

What was your take on Eden?

I've got an issue with this advertising, especially at 3:05.  This was obviously filmed weeks ago, with actors or private guests.  Where are they coming up with such early testimonials, and passenger patterns?  I've seen the actual footage from the 3 day sailing, that guy in the skirt was not surrounded like a rock star.

Eden was just too out there for me. Beautiful view in the daytime but was't into the entertainment at all...way to strange and zen. I think the current entertainment in Eden will be very short lived.

21 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

That's a horrible solution to the issue...….if this is the new "philosophy" of Luminae on this class of ship we will wait even longer to book or possible just won't bother at all.

Actually, it has been known for some time that the kitchen for the MDR's would be too far to make it practical to order from those menus and deliver to the diner timely and hot.

As such, one can get all menus for Luminae upon boarding and decide when they wish to dine elsewhere OR make a special meal request on which the Chef would possibly make for you in Luminae's kitchen OR one can plan to dine in the MDR of choice on those evenings.

Planing is the key and not wait until one arrives at Luminae to decide I do not like any of the offerings tonight.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Eden was just too out there for me. Beautiful view in the daytime but was't into the entertainment at all...way to strange and zen. I think the current entertainment in Eden will be very short lived.

From the ad it does look like a Deep Space Nine adventure and will probably be a one and done event for us. How are the evening shows in the main theater? 

33 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, it has been known for some time that the kitchen for the MDR's would be too far to make it practical to order from those menus and deliver to the diner timely and hot.

As such, one can get all menus for Luminae upon boarding and decide when they wish to dine elsewhere OR make a special meal request on which the Chef would possibly make for you in Luminae's kitchen OR one can plan to dine in the MDR of choice on those evenings.

Planing is the key and not wait until one arrives at Luminae to decide I do not like any of the offerings tonight.

All true but we have come to love Luminae on the "S" class ships and the flexibility they offer now.....we don't bother with Specialties anymore because the service is just not as good as Luminae…..with the removal of this perk on the new Edge AND the exorbitant prices they are asking it'll be a long time, if ever before we cruise on it or Apex....but that's fine too...we are looking at many options...and certainly not just Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

That's fine (planning ahead) if that works for you.  I prefer to be spontaneous when on the ship.  That's why the Luminae setup on the other ships works better for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That's fine (planning ahead) if that works for you.  I prefer to be spontaneous when on the ship.  That's why the Luminae setup on the other ships works better for me.

The menue in Luminae is not bad.  However, sometimes it does not offer anything that either of us care to eat.  My DH is happy with a chicken breast, veggies and mashed potatoes.  I am more easy going and usually am able to find something on the menu I like.  He does not need anything special, but of course we can tell them the day before if he has an issue with the menu.  Again, I was told that one could order simplistic and more generic thins that would not be an issue.

When you are cruising for 15 days, some flexibility is welcomed by some of us.  Their desserts are wonderful, but my DH loves chocolate cake and apple pie, which he could always get too.  

Sorry, but I thought I was quoting the person who asked about what was so bad about Luminae...my apologies!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

The menue in Luminae is not bad.  However, sometimes it does not offer anything that either of us care to eat.  My DH is happy with a chicken breast, veggies and mashed potatoes.  

Agree!  The S class ships seemed to have a more extensive and varied menu for lunch, dinner and desserts. 

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I understand and know there are others who, like you, prefer that convenience and immediate opportunity.

Edited by Bo1953

On 12/7/2018 at 12:09 PM, boscobeans said:

I Have one question.  Not trying to be negative but really curious, does anyone think the Magic Carpet is a plus to your cruise experience ? If so how ?

On 12/8/2018 at 7:09 AM, H2OH! said:

I agree completely! While I love Luminae, I order french onion soup and escargot off the MDR menu all the time. If this is true- not happy about that at all...

Pour servers last night we’re talking about their conversations with servers on the Magic Carpet. They said that the Magic Carpet dinner service has been a disaster.  Too windy most of the time and things constantly blowing over and off the tables.

As for the escargot, I was able to get it in Blu.  For the first time in 15 cruises, I was unable to finish them.  The recipe was different and not very appealing.  I may give it one more try to see if I have the same experience.  Will also try ordering the French onion soup.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Pour servers last night we’re talking about their conversations with servers on the Magic Carpet. They said that the Magic Carpet dinner service has been a disaster.  Too windy most of the time and things constantly blowing over and off the tables.

I'm so surprised about that dinner on the Magic Carpet.

We always cruise in January and I can tell you that we were thankful for the panels at the lawn grill...Or the Glass as Samba (RCI) grill. It is extremely windy at night. I would not book anything dinner wise on the edge without protection from the winds.. That seems like asking for disaster...

On 12/9/2018 at 4:48 AM, villauk said:

Very hedonistic. Reminds me of seeing the old Roman bath (orgy) scenes. I think X must have been paying far too much attention to the ‘clothing optional’ charter cruises 🤣🤣. Perhaps that was their largest revenue weeks....bottom line, bottom line 😆.

The Eden video also reminds me of this.  Both laugh-worthy!

• Like 2

I was thinking of a cross between Forbidden planet and the Brady Bunch living room...in terms of decor... but this captures the essence of the space.... did you see the resident poet by any chance... I am thinking Manard G Krebs... beatnik

• Haha 1

I guess we got lucky.  We did Dinner on the Edge Friday night and there were no issues with wind at all.  It was buffet with plenty of food that was restocked regularly, Plates were cleared timely, drinks brought our quickly.  And it was fascinating to see the ship from the outside while sailing.

4 hours ago, ATLgirl15 said:

I guess we got lucky.  We did Dinner on the Edge Friday night and there were no issues with wind at all.  It was buffet with plenty of food that was restocked regularly, Plates were cleared timely, drinks brought our quickly.  And it was fascinating to see the ship from the outside while sailing.

Glad to hear, cool.

Edited by Oville

On 12/9/2018 at 9:54 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

From the ad it does look like a Deep Space Nine adventure and will probably be a one and done event for us. How are the evening shows in the main theater? 

I thought the shows in the main theater were average.....this has never been Celebrity's strong point.

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

I said it before....Someone from Celebrity remembered this episode of Star Trek and used it to conceive the concept for "Eden".,,,lol

"Eden" was designed for millennials.  Evidently, this clip from Star Trek is what they're always watching on their phones.  Who knew?

• Haha 1