Just returned from Getaway...my only gripe? VIBE!!!

pugsammy

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I find it amazing NCL have not correctly priced this product, demand clearly proves it is underpriced, from history NCL grab every penny they can.

It's a premium product but being offered too cheaply.

+10,000 - FINALLY someone who understands basic economics!

As I mentioned in another thread on this topic, I believe people would run and passes would sell out, no matter what the price.  People are funny that way.  Dangle something "exclusive" and "available in limited quantities" in front of them and the behavior is quite predictable.  Just head to Walmart on Black Friday.

We pay a basic cruise rate, which includes everything we need for a week at sea (a place to sleep, food and basic drink choices), yet most don't hesitate to add additional costs like drink packages, spa, "special" dining, VIBE, internet, etc.  Cruise lines see how eager passengers are to spend additional money and they make more and more things a la carte.  People complain bitterly on CC about "nickel & diming" yet some won't hesitate to sprint for a VIBE pass, or spend $500 on a private island cabana.  

I'm not a student of economics but if the demand for all the "pay extra" amenities dropped, wouldn't the prices eventually drop as well?

The fairest way to solve this would be to have a “vibe lottery “ anyone interested in the vibe would collect a ticket after boarding (2 people per ticket ) then later on that afternoon when everybody would have had a chance to enter they draw out 200 tickets (or whatever the capacity is ) , that way everybody on board has an equal chance regardless of how quick you run or what cabin category you are in .

12 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I find it amazing NCL have not correctly priced this product, demand clearly proves it is underpriced, from history NCL grab every penny they can.

It's a premium product but being offered too cheaply.

I agree. On our BA cruise, I thought about trying to get them, since we live so close to the port. We arrived at 9:45, got boarding group 24, decided just to get spa passes. I would’ve paid $200 pp for Vibe passes instead. Look at how much Hamilton tickets go for.

Yes, people run, yet there are very few posts about people who want passes not getting them. It happens, but not as often as people might think. I've talked to people who didn't board until 1PM who got them (Escape out of Miami in the summer), and I myself inquired about them at 9PM on sailaway day (Getaway out of Miami in May) and they had passes available.  You just never know.

My wife and I are done with the race. 3 out of 4 times is pretty good. Too stressful to start a cruise out like that.

Will miss the Vibe on the BA and the Escape......

Keep in mind their is always Spice H20!!!

And the Thermal Spa......

4 hours ago, Costa canary said:

The fairest way to solve this would be to have a “vibe lottery “ anyone interested in the vibe would collect a ticket after boarding (2 people per ticket ) then later on that afternoon when everybody would have had a chance to enter they draw out 200 tickets (or whatever the capacity is ) , that way everybody on board has an equal chance regardless of how quick you run or what cabin category you are in .

But if there are friends traveling in different staterooms, what happens if one couple wins and the other doesn't? Even if 4 friends are traveling together in the same stateroom, 2 might win while the other 2 don't.

At 2 guests per ticket, there would only be less than 40 winning tickets, not 200.

Yes, I think we are done too. When we reached Platinum status with priority embarkation we thought we had a lock on Vibe passes but that’s not the case. I agree that dealing with all the anxiety that goes along with the Vibe chase is not the best way to start a vacation. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruise Master 55 said:

Actually raising the price is the best solution.  It will drive down the competition better than anything else.  In fact the best pricing model for any commodity is one where supply/demand equilibrium is achieved.  Nothing at all amazing about it even slightly.  Very basic economics.

I understand basic economics. A nice place to relax and have excellent drink service is something very basic which should be included in the cruise fare. I wish NCL had an adults only solarium with padded loungers like Royal Caribbean does. It does not have an additional charge. I don't understand wanting to pay extra. 

We were able to get Vibe passes on the Getaway at the end of October with no running involved. Arrived at the port around 9:45 a.m., got boarding group 2, boarded around 11:30 on deck 7, then walked to Headliners on deck 7. We were numbers 44 and 45.

The NCL rep gave numbers to 3 people in front of us and 2 people behind us, who all waited for a bit then stepped out of line after learning the price was $129 per person. The rep didn't notice they left and put up a sign saying passes were sold out. So, I wondered if someone who had arrived after the "sell out" went to guest services to see if Vibe passes were still available, would they be able to buy one of those passes (assuming late-arrival Haven folks hadn't purchased them first)? I'd guess so, because NCL doesn't want to turn down money, but at the same time, it was nice to not have a fully-packed Vibe that week. 

11 hours ago, Cruise Master 55 said:

Actually raising the price is the best solution.  It will drive down the competition better than anything else.  In fact the best pricing model for any commodity is one where supply/demand equilibrium is achieved.  Nothing at all amazing about it even slightly.  Very basic economics.

I agree, raise the cost to a price that they will sell out, so you don't have people running like idiots pushing people over, etc.

I like the suggestion of booking a Vibe cabin, in the same way that we have booked spa cabins.  We purchased Vibe passes a few years ago (our most recent cruise) and assumed we would again on our upcoming cruise on the Breakaway.  I had no idea that the passes had become so difficult to obtain.  From what I have recently been reading, even with our Platinum status, and if we arrive early for boarding, it's a roll of dice as to whether there will be any remaining passes.

I'm not a fan of arriving early and lining up but did do that on the last cruise, in order to ensure that we got passes.  I know that I would be disappointed to do that and not receive passes.  I would happily pay a premium for a cabin category that included the passes.

39 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

A nice place to relax and have excellent drink service is something very basic which should be included in the cruise fare.

The "relax with a drink" part can usually be done on the Waterfront. No servers, though. There are bars nearby. Padded seats/couches, too. 

21 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I agree, raise the cost to a price that they will sell out, so you don't have people running like idiots pushing people over, etc.

That will just change one set of complaints to another. People will complain that NCL jams too many people on the ship then "nickel and dimes" people into paying for VIBE access. 

11 minutes ago, tripgrl said:

I would happily pay a premium for a cabin category that included the passes.

The problem is that people in lower/less expensive stateroom categories would complain. Someone in a studio or interior probably wouldn't have a VIBE-equipped option. If there was a VIBE-equipped stateroom for all stateroom types, there wouldn't be enough capacity in VIBE even if it was only two staterooms per category.  

14 minutes ago, SFOflyguy said:

Can someone fill me in on when/where the Vibe passes are sold?  Sorry, late to the game...last time I cruised with NCL was 2008.

Thanks so much!

Don't know about other ships but for Escape and Getaway they were available at Headliners.....

On 12/5/2018 at 12:35 PM, DZcreature said:

I understand basic economics. A nice place to relax and have excellent drink service is something very basic which should be included in the cruise fare. I wish NCL had an adults only solarium with padded loungers like Royal Caribbean does. It does not have an additional charge. I don't understand wanting to pay extra. 

There are a lot of places all over the ship where you can relax and enjoy whatever drink you desire.  I don't want to pay extra for the Vibe since IMHO it is more hype than anything else.  I have been the very first passenger to board the ship on multiple occasion and I never even consider getting Vibe passe.  Actually we did get them one time and wen there twice during the entire 10-day cruise.  Waste of money.  It is laughable that folks are discussing the "anxiety" of trying to get passes and being "made" to run for them...

2 hours ago, Cruise Master 55 said:

There are a lot of places all over the ship where you can relax and enjoy whatever drink you desire.  I don't want to pay extra for the Vibe since IMHO it is more hype than anything else.  I have been the very first passenger to board the ship on multiple occasion and I never even consider getting Vibe passe.  Actually we did get them one time and wen there twice during the entire 10-day cruise.  Waste of money.  It is laughable that folks are discussing the "anxiety" of trying to get passes and being "made" to run for them...

I agree that it is more hype than anything, especially if you are on a ship with a Spice H2O. I would rather get the thermal suite package if I have extra money to spend. I forgot to mention that the solariums on Royal have a pool and hot tub which we enjoy. Overall I prefer NCL, but will go on either line if it is a ship or itinerary I want to try.