3 days in San Juan

helensobol

We are flying in  early for our cruise so we will have 3 full days to adventure around San Juan.  

As of right now, I'm looking at the Intercontinental or Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verda as our hotel options.   I'm travelling with my 10 year old daughter.  Could someone recommend some must see sights or tours to experience. 

Are the bio tours worth it? 

At least a few hours in Old San Juan to walk, eat lunch or dinner, visit one of the 2 forts.   A rain forest tour would be a good idea.

El Alambique in Isla Verde for a meal - good local place with a view of the water.

We haven't done the bio tour, but most people say you should research the moon phases in regards to your dates.  Supposedly if there is a full moon the extra light detracts from the experience.

Definitely rent a car and head out of the regular tourist places after you spend one of the days in  Old San Juan. You can then take another day to see the rain forest during the day and the Bio Bay tour at night. if you plan it right, I'd suggest a tour of the Cabezas de San Juan natural reserve in the town of Fajardo, where the Bio Bay is also located. The nature reserve tour runs about 2.5-3 hrs. and costs around $20 each. You can check it out here: https://reservaciones.paralanaturaleza.org/event/a053900000MjQgzAAF

(Disclaimer: as a local, I'm not supposed to recommend specific tours BUT... This is run by a volunteer-based, non-profit organization and there's NO ONE else doing it so...)

I've actually done the tour a few times and they do have a tour in English daily but on a limited availability. So check their calendar with ample time. Usually the English tour is around 2pm so you'd have the morning for the rain forest, the afternoon for the nature reserve (allow about 30-45 minutes drive from the rain forest to the reserve), grab a bite around Fajardo and do the bio bay tour during the evening. I'm sure your kid and you are going to love it! The drive from the hotels area to the rain forest is about 1 hour and the drive back from Fajardo is around 1 hr 30 mins. It's pretty straight forward and easily navigated using Google maps or the Waze app.

Stinger-pr - question for you. 

I definitely love your suggestion as this is exactly what we want - something outside the standard tourist area for a day. 

We have 3 days before the cruise and 1 day after the cruise to spend in San Juan.  the more i think about it,  the amount of time spent touring and exploring I'm not sure staying at a resort hotel makes sense. 

I have booked the intercontinental for our 1 day after the cruise.   Do you have suggestions on what areas make the most sense to stay pre-cruise?    

I Have stayed in Isla Verde and that is very nice way to spend your day at the beach.  I also like staying right on Old San Juan, a complete different way of passing your day, evening and night.  Great options to rent apts as well less expensive than a $200 hotel.

Also as far as seeing sights the west part of the island, they actually refer it to the north end, is also a great trip and a lot to see.  From pork highway, another rainforest, lighthouse a beach road and the Indian caves.  Just not sure what it is like now, i went about 2 years ago and really enjoyed that tour/day.

If you visit Farajdo, you will pass by Liquillo.  One of our best experiences on the island were the food Kiosks. There is actually an exit off the highway for them.  Worth the stop !!   About 35 little restaurants all in a row. The variety, decor and food choices are incredible.

Hmm..

On 12/7/2018 at 3:37 PM, helensobol said:

Stinger-pr - question for you. 

I definitely love your suggestion as this is exactly what we want - something outside the standard tourist area for a day. 

We have 3 days before the cruise and 1 day after the cruise to spend in San Juan.  the more i think about it,  the amount of time spent touring and exploring I'm not sure staying at a resort hotel makes sense. 

I have booked the intercontinental for our 1 day after the cruise.   Do you have suggestions on what areas make the most sense to stay pre-cruise?    

Hmm... I would do the rain forest/nature reserve/bio-bay on day one and then head out west towards the town of Rincon and explore some of the great beaches and places around the area. It's about a 2hr drive from San Juan, about 1/2 of it on a highway. What time of the year are you visiting? Rincon is surfer's paradise during the winter and the same beach can have great waves during winter and be completely tame and have awesome snorkeling during the summer. There are also good restaurants around and you can visit the cliffs and lighthouse of Cabo Rojo and Crash Boat beach in Aguadilla. I'd go for an AirBnB for my stay in Rincon (it's actually what I do) and head back the morning of the cruise with no problem.

3 hours ago, pdc2013 said:

I Have stayed in Isla Verde and that is very nice way to spend your day at the beach.  I also like staying right on Old San Juan, a complete different way of passing your day, evening and night.  Great options to rent apts as well less expensive than a $200 hotel.

Also as far as seeing sights the west part of the island, they actually refer it to the north end, is also a great trip and a lot to see.  From pork highway, another rainforest, lighthouse a beach road and the Indian caves.  Just not sure what it is like now, i went about 2 years ago and really enjoyed that tour/day.

The pork highway is more towards the center of the island and close to another forest near the mountains of Cayey (like yippie kay yey... without the yippie part). Most of the central forest system in PR is considered a rain forest but people only read about El Yunque with is just a US Park Service protected area.

The lighthouse, beach road and Cueva del Indio (indian cave) are located in Arecibo which is in the northern part pf the island. The western part doesn't really start until you reach Aguadilla.

18 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

The pork highway is more towards the center of the island and close to another forest near the mountains of Cayey (like yippie kay yey... without the yippie part). Most of the central forest system in PR is considered a rain forest but people only read about El Yunque with is just a US Park Service protected area.

The lighthouse, beach road and Cueva del Indio (indian cave) are located in Arecibo which is in the northern part pf the island. The western part doesn't really start until you reach Aguadilla.

Thank you for that info:) i still see it as west from San Juan, maybe why i get confused.  I guess when i was taken i did not realize i went south before heading North.

13 hours ago, helensobol said:

I'll be there in April.    I looked at the lunar calendar recommendations and it appears that the days we can go to the bio bay are considered bad days to go.  😞

Any thoughts on the sugar plantation ?  

Sorry, which one?