Pre-dinner canapés / hors d'oeuves?

SandG

A couple of times we have sailed in Concierge class and enjoyed the delivery of canapés, especially when we eat late.  We will be sailing on the Edge in March in a "regular" Infinite veranda as Elite for the first time.  I had at one time hoped we'd finally be able to enjoy some fancy snacks at the Elite lounge, but it seems more likely that we'll get our card preloaded with drinks (which doesn't excite us much since we already have a drink package, but you've heard this complaint already).  

We would be happy enough to get a plate of some little delights from the buffet perhaps and bring them to our cabin.  I suppose that crackers and something like hummus or tapenade dip or cheese would be okay, though not as fancy.  What possibilities?  I know we can get little desserts from the coffee shop but looking for an hors d'oeuve or appetizer.

Sue

We were on the Silhouette a few weeks ago and the afternoon canapés delivered to our cabin (C2) were really awful, visually  unappealing and nothing you want to eat. But cheese and crackers aplenty in the buffet. Hopefully the same on Edge. 

24 minutes ago, bhughey said:

We recently sailed the Summit in a suite and did not receive daily canapes.

They started having the butlers serving canapés, scones, and other bites in Michaels from 3-4 as a replacement for the cart that previously visited the suites.

We  never attended but our butlers have always offered to bring something to us.

We spent a sometime in Michaels on our last B2B and every evening before dinner they offered a variety of hours d’oeuves.  They were not set out or passed as in the Elite cocktail event.  The snack attendant would tell us what they had each evening and bring  us a plate of what we selected.

19 hours ago, SandG said:

A couple of times we have sailed in Concierge class and enjoyed the delivery of canapés, especially when we eat late.  We will be sailing on the Edge in March in a "regular" Infinite veranda as Elite for the first time.  I had at one time hoped we'd finally be able to enjoy some fancy snacks at the Elite lounge, but it seems more likely that we'll get our card preloaded with drinks (which doesn't excite us much since we already have a drink package, but you've heard this complaint already).  

We would be happy enough to get a plate of some little delights from the buffet perhaps and bring them to our cabin.  I suppose that crackers and something like hummus or tapenade dip or cheese would be okay, though not as fancy.  What possibilities?  I know we can get little desserts from the coffee shop but looking for an hors d'oeuve or appetizer.

Sue

Café baccio also has sandwiches- but if you are in Concierge Class, you can get canapés- which IMO aren't good.  I would also suggest room service as a good option. 

59 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Cafe al Bacio no longer has sandwiches, only sweet things.  Pastries in the am, cakes & pies & tarts in the pm.

They have small tea sandwiches and small desserts up in the Oceanview Cafe around 4pm.   Cookies also.

I thought the canapes were wonderful when we sailed Solstice last February.  I guess each ship/chef is different.  They won't deliver them unless you tell your stateroom attendant to bring them each afternoon.    My wife never liked them, but then again she has no palate.  :classic_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

They have small tea sandwiches and small desserts up in the Oceanview Cafe around 4pm.   Cookies also.

I thought the canapes were wonderful when we sailed Solstice last February.  I guess each ship/chef is different.  They won't deliver them unless you tell your stateroom attendant to bring them each afternoon.    My wife never liked them, but then again she has no palate.  :classic_biggrin:

You keep that up and you'll have to have different cabins.:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

We had a Concierge class cabin on our last T/A, we got snacks in the afternoon but did not think much of them. Towards the end of our cruise we were told we had to be in our cabin to have them brought to us. We were not going to be in the cabin just to receive the not so good snacks. Nothing lost.

J.

We just got off the TA on the Reflection in October. We were CC and recieved the Canapes in our room every day. I had expected them to be lame based on posts here but we thought for the most part they were enjoyable little tidbits.

That said, what we really enjoyed was the Ensemble lounge prior to dinner every evening. In that one lounge which is located outside Michael's and all the specialty restaurants, they had roaming waiters serving delicious hors d'oeuves every night. Each tray had a selection of 4 different appetizers and many waiters had different selections. I unaware of this prior to the cruise and it was a welcome surprise. I would recommend seeking out the lounge they have doing this on the Edge, if the they do. And, if they do, get there early enough to get a seat. The Ensemble would fill up by 5 pm. (they also usually had live music at the same time)

Edited by StillLooking4Adventure

47 minutes ago, W283386 said:

No palette?  Is that worse then a  cleft palette.  Please go to mercyships.com to donate to help those with that affliction.

What are the odds of us joining Cruise Critic the same day back in 2000?

5 hours ago, W283386 said:

No palette?  Is that worse then a  cleft palette.  Please go to mercyships.com to donate to help those with that affliction.

Oh, please, you really couldn't figure out from my post that I was joking about my wife's taste in food?   

Oh, how I hate this politically correct culture of the left.  :classic_dry:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Oh, please, you really couldn't figure out from my post that I was joking about my wife's taste in food?   

Wow what a snowflake. Guess you got you feelings hurt.

13 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I don't think it has anything to do with politically correct culture just correct. Words (still) matter.

23 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Cafe al Bacio no longer has sandwiches, only sweet things.  Pastries in the am, cakes & pies & tarts in the pm.

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

Yes, words matter -- so does context, i.e., to, two, too.

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

23 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Café baccio also has sandwiches- but if you are in Concierge Class, you can get canapés- which IMO aren't good.  I would also suggest room service as a good option. 

Actually, I saw a video from somebody who was on the edge and they took a picture of the case with pastries and I saw some sandwiches in the case-  But IMO best to get room service as the refrigerators in the cabin (were) just coolers and not true refrigerators, so I imagine things might spoil.